Elektron ECC-6 Backpack

I’m wondering if the combinations include the machines size with the deck saver ?

1 Like

nice design but it seems insane to design a bag for expensive electronics and not make it waterproof. there are tons of fabric options that fit the bill.

1 Like

When will it be in stock?

From the occasional convos I’ve had with bag makers, a lot of work goes into making a bag waterproof - there’s so many seams and openings, and a lot of the more hard-wearing materials are difficult-to-impossible to seal at the seams. Then you’ve got the problem that if there’s a single point of failure you’re now carrying a sealed water container (a bucket). There’s a reason most serious outdoor brands don’t offer waterproof bags.

Also, for something that’s going to be hard wearing and protective you’d have to pay a lot more than €90. Realistically, unless you’re going to be kayaking with your gear, ‘weather resistant’ is good enough for the job, and you can always throw on a €5 bag cover if you want to stand with it in the shower.

/bagnerd

14 Likes

a Chrome / Elektron bag collab would be amazing. Certainly not cheap, but it’ll be waterproof!

1 Like

would it be possible to see how the combinations of gear inside fit ?

I assume that it is decently padded with movable compartments but would love to see images if someone has some handy…

2 Likes

Or Rains / Elektron. I love my Rains backpack. Maybe more water resistant than waterproof, but still good in rain.

2 Likes

This needs more pictures. I’m sorta curious how good the internal padding is, and how an OT, AR2, and Digitone all fits inside with the accessories.

3 Likes

I’m in need of a new backpack as my old one starts to fall apart (after about a decade of almost daily use, which isn’t too bad). More picture, especially of the inside would be appreciated. Does anybody have an idea when they might be available to pre-order from thomann?

Just got a notification off UPS that mine’s due to arrive today, so I’ll try to get some pics up when it comes.

4 Likes

Totally. Eg even waterproof bicycle panniers can let water in despite being designed to be as waterproof as possible, which is why it’s advisable to put everything that goes inside into a sealable waterproof bag of its own. Many people use those re-sealable IKEA plastic food bags that come in a range of sizes. Take care of them and they can be reused many times.

Short of an air-sealing hard case like a Peli case I don’t think I’d trust any bag to be completely waterproof on its own.

It’s arrived :slight_smile:

I’m meant to be working, so can’t do a full rundown/photoshoot right now, but first impressions:
It’s spacious! Here’s a look inside with both the DT and DN sat flat at the bottom:

I estimate you could fit 5 or 6 digi-sized units stacked in there with decksavers.
It’s big enough to swallow the ECC-4 carry bag (full with DN/DT and cables) with more than enough room to roll up securely:

I’ll run the fabric under a tap to test it later, but they’ve used a weather-resistant zip, so I’m thinking it’ll be good in crappy weather.

In terms of internal organisation, it’s mostly one large compartment. It doesn’t include the kind of divisions and straps that the ECC-4 has, for instance. The main compartment does have a kind of document pouch divider that’s secured with velcro - this is like internal laptop sleeves you get in some bags. I can try to get more photos of this later if people need?

It’s quite lightly padded - the back has more padding, but the outer is more akin to the bag for the Model line - think like a thick felt. It’s not the kind of burly protection you get with the ECC-4.

Will look closer later, but this seems a really solid bag, especially for the price :slight_smile:

Lemme know if you’ve got any Qs or need photos of specific things.

22 Likes

Thank you so much. Looks awesome!

1 Like

I’m so glad they put that “steal me; I’m expensive” logo on it :+1:

3 Likes

:rofl:

Tbf, at least it’s not the full ELEKTRON that’s on other bags, and the badge is only sewn on, so should be easy to snip off (will report back if I do this…)

3 Likes

The way the footprint is fitted for most Elektron devices is quite nice. Great design.
The thinner Models will be great too.

Can’t wait to receive mine! Has nearly the same capacity as my HPRC 2550w which just means more gear can join me into the plane cabin…, well, if this tangent universe ever gets back to normal.

30cm width and 50cm height means two Models in the bottom, with my A4 MK1 and OT MK1 placed on top, sideways… should all fit. all with deck savers. Heck yea.
Good thing the Model series is so lightweight, as multiple boxes could get real heavy.

A few more details:

The bag fabric is a cordura-style thing - it seems like it’ll be quite abrasion-resistant, perhaps a bit ripstop and generally tough. The interior surfaces of the bag are lined with a cottony material, so you don’t get contact with the rear face of the outer fabric, but the passport pouch has a bit that’s unlined. The rear face is rubberised, kinda like truck tarp or ortlieb panniers (but a lot les thick than these), so I’m guessing that the fabric itself is fully water-impermeable.

The seams look well-sewn, so strong, but they don’t seem to be sealed, so as discussed, there’d possibly be some ingress in sustained heavy rain.

The zip on the rear, while weather-resistant, has a gap at the top, so I’d be wary putting documents or electronics in there if rain is a big concern.

The roll top fastens with a hook that passes through a loop of webbing. This hook is metal, so should be good and secure.

The webbing extends down the rear of the pack, with some loops if you’re inclined to clip/fasten stuff to them.

There’s a haul loop at the top - my full hand can comfortably fit through this (I’m a men’s XL glove size).

The back is well padded, with lightly ventilated padding/foam. The straps are fairly utilitarian, without any sternum/waist strap, and no extra fittings or loops, but they seem comfortable.

My only concern is that the buckles used for the shoulder straps and the compression straps are a plastic that feels quite flexible. Flexible needn’t = breakable, so they may be fine, but I expect these might crack after accidentally getting trodden on, getting whacked against a doorway or whatever. With the rest of the bag using solid materials and seemingly well-sewn, these seem the likely first point of failure. It’d be great if these were the same metal as the hook, for added reassurance, but you can’t be too picky at this price point.

There are thoughtful little design points, like the passport bag has a loop to make it handy to carry/grab.

The laptop sleeve seems really well padded - the laptop gets sandwiched between the back padding and internal padding.

As mentioned, the padding isn’t super thick. There’s a layer of foam about 3-4mm thick between the outer fabric and liner on the outer layer, the floor, and between the main compartment and laptop sleeve. The sleeve inside the main compartment also has a thicker (5mm?) foam to it.

There’s no padding, though, on the sides of the bag, so if you’re concerned about your gear and you’re likely to take a few bumps, I’d plan to have that gear further padded.

All in all, I’m really happy with this. I’ve been looking around for something that fits this bill - a mid-sized bag that can fit a number of uses, from lugging stuff to a friend’s, to weekend trips away, with varying levels of kit, and the main contenders were coming in at £150+.

It doesn’t quite have the premium feel of more expensive bags, but that’s kind of obvious. At the same time, it’s clearly a considered bag (not just another rebranded Eastpack/Kanken.), made to last, and made to be used, striking a good balance between offering useful features while being pared-back and utilitarian.

[Insert pic of Stimming giving thumbs up and saying ‘good job!’ here]

15 Likes

i’d be great if someone can compare it with this one:

the thomann’s bag has room for two OT/MD/Mnm with plastic lids

1 Like

Feel free to buy me one and I’ll happily oblige :wink:

But seriously, that Thomann seems a more ‘featured’ backpack - specific compartments of various sizes designed for specific things. These are clearly useful to some people (separated compartments are definitely more useful if you’re doing stuff like field work where you regularly need quick access to specific things without unpacking the lot), but I always end up getting pissed off, cos the things you want to pack invariably don’t fit in the designated spaces, so they need to. go in the main compartment anyway, and that’s now smaller because of the extras.

2 Likes

I have that same bag, from back when M-Audio/MidiMan manufactured it. It can fit a Model instrument in the front pocket. So you can get 2 OT/MD/MM/AR1/A41 inside plus one model in the front pocket.

I cut the center divider out of mine ages ago as i used it for a JP8080… Doing so should help with stacking Digi sized boxes sideways. But the footprint is too narrow for dropping Models and Digis in bottom down.
It is nicely padded all around though. And built to last. A good bag if it fits your gear.

Mine gets used for cables/PSUs mostly, as the various pockets and zippers are great for organization. The old style flip phone pocket on the side still makes me laugh. I keep my earplugs in there.

1 Like