Elektron Analog Keys : Is discontinued

There’s this new one in a London store too. I get the feeling no one will ever buy it at that price :grimacing:

https://www.wunjoguitars.com/product/analog-keys/

1 Like

How do people feel about this synth in 2021/2022? I’ve always wanted to try one…

Loads of recent comments about it in other threads, e.g. Scot_Solida loves his. The search function is your friend

1 Like
3 Likes

Thank you! I used the search function and didn’t see these…must’ve glossed over them!

I sold my OG A4 to another Elektronaut recently and picked up a nearly mint AK locally.

I wasn’t unhappy with the A4, but took the opportunity to switch for the keys when it presented itself.

I love the keys, but I can see myself adding a Mk1 or Mk2 for the smaller form factor at some time in the future. Or maybe I should get something different like the Erica DB-01, which is even smaller…

7 Likes

A4 is one of the only modern Elektrons I haven’t owned.

Whenever this thread pops up it always makes my heart jump like they are discontinuing the A4 all together lol. I don’t even have plans to buy one anytime soon if ever haha.

I just have so many Analog Synths I already like that I don’t need another, nothing against the A4.

Whoa, I didn’t realize it was that large compared to the other synths!

It’s actually quite small considering the keys :blush:. 66 cm wide.

I feel good about the Analog Keys in 2021.
It takes some time to warm to it, I think, and figure out what it’s good at.
The sequencer is obviously excellent, but I think it’s underrated as a performance synth. With aftertouch, joystick, poly-config options and good effects, it would be a great option for a synth player in a band situation. Nice keys, can play chords or widdly solos, classic synth tones or atonal noise, there are a lot of possibilities.

4 Likes

I had a Mk2 and briefly played with a Mk1, recently got a Keys for real cheap. Feels like a better form factor for a elektron synth than the small grooveboxes, and I’m not even that much of a keyboard player. the input method just allows you to more freely explore the sound and generate ideas for sequences quicker.

Had a similar experience with the Digitone keys, but the AK is obviously much more compact due to its more traditional layout.

2 Likes

I’m going to sound like a hypocrite, because I rarely use my AK and am willing to trade it, but it’s like the model D. It’s just a synth, but it has properties that make it unique enough to always be relevant.

4 Likes

As to the AK still having relevance.

The last three post covers it pretty well. Add the ability to be a both a MIDI controller with CV outs and a multitimbral analog synth all run by a powerful sequencer puts it in territory with very little competition.

As noted nine posts back Scott_Solida uses his with the CV in a variety of different ways. It’s worth reading his post.

I have two other MIDI controllers that i use regularly, the Novation SLM3 and the Hydrasynth Keys. ( With an Osmose on the way. ) They all can do some of these things but none brings all of this together as completely as the AK.

2 Likes

Please remind me, can I use “midi ext” with the keyboard in split, two midi channels?
I use the arturia keystep with two AS-1’s for noodling, but it’d be way more fun with the AK.

I think you’re referring to “Multi Map” ?

See any A4, AK, or Digitone manual.

Well, multi map while in midi ext mode, to control two AS-1’s individually. My AK manual doesn’t ref it, so I guess I’ll have to experiment.

1 Like

Picked one up today, mint with decksaver. I’ve owned the analog four mk2 and really liked it but sold it.

I just assumed this was an inferior version and didn’t consider how much keys would add to the whole thing. I love this thing!

5 Likes

Thinking of selling my AK, been used for a total of about 10hrs since i bought it new thinking, wrongly, I’d become a hardware guy. Been boxed since then. Wondering what is a fair price (euros) to sell it for. I also have an AR MK1 , same condition, same question. Any opinions gratefully received.

I sold my old one when I lived in Europe for €600, but it did have a busted LED from the previous owner and the box was a bit beat up. If your unit is as mint condition as you say it is, then I’d be tempted to start at €800 and drop it back gradually to €700 if it doesn’t move. They’re not as sort after as you would think, for some reason. And MKI A4s are valued even lower than that. I would say €600 tops but more likely to sell for closer to €500. Anyway, double check the going rates on Reverb and any local synth selling sites you visit.

3 Likes

I paid €700 a few years ago for my used AK (decent condition) so I’d say Craig is right - start at €800 for a mint unit.

3 Likes