EHX 1440 Stereo Looper

Finally Electro Harmonix released the new 1440 Stereo Looper!
Features are the same as the 720, plus this has also a midi in for sync clock (I still have to try it out, but I’ll soon synch it to my elektron devices), and can store up to 20 loops (24 minutes)!

HEre a quick demo I did (ambient guitars manipulation):

7 Likes

Yea, saw it pop up too, Can you please report back on the midi cync? Thx

Hmmm … lots of little potentially troubling caveats and such in the details wrt MIDI syncing - it really will depend on some good in-the-field feedback on this aspect and whether it feels responsive and just right … i’ve only known one to feel and work right and that was the original Lexicon JamMan - there’s clearly a knack to getting something looping seamlessly when clock can drift - it’ll be interesting to hear how this one works out

https://www.ehx.com/products/1440-stereo-looper

1 Like

Definitely. This looks promising, but it would be great some feedback from early adopters (and OP, of course) about the tightness of the Midi clock. Another one that I found to be dead on is the Strymon TimeLine. You can also send it midi to tell it when to record/play/overdub, etc etc. Like having OT’s recorder trigs in a pedal :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks promising if the midi sync is tight. An option for me is two of these, as then you can do the variable loop lengths the other EHX loopers can’t do, and twice as many outputs to feed to FX etc

20 posts were merged into an existing topic: Loopers

I did try out the midi sync, and it’s tight! What I did was sending my Digitone into it, midi sync, then I looped a drum beat on the 1440, and then when the loop was cloded, played on top a second beat.
Worksflawlessly!

5 Likes

Waiting for an affordable looper with midi, hope this is it!

2 Likes

Totally! I’ll be back with my gear next week and it’s on top of the buying list. First job is the selling list though :+1:t2:

1 Like

i think the point is that people may say teh same about the dittox4 e.g. - yet if you leave the loop running you find that the loop length is not following midi clock - its fixed length is only established at teh beginning, if you have/had a drifting clock or a pattern running a long time it may eventually drift in relation to the clock

what would be more interesting to hear about is if people can nudge the tempo a tiny bit and report back whether the audio is elastic or restarted in sync at least - arguably a click once in a while is way better than drifting

also keen to hear if the inputs are struggling when an Elektron is sent in fairly hot, i.e. is it weighted towards guitars/pedals ?

3 Likes

all good questions here

1 Like

I tried the 1440 also with my JMT noise/drone synths, which have a very hot output volume, and I noticed no degradetion in the sound.
I also did change the tempo on the Digitone, and the 1440 was responding very well to the tempo drift. I think I did run this test for at leas t20 minutes, and for what I was able to ear and feel the tempo was always consistent.

5 Likes

The 1440 seems to use the repitch method for tempo changing (my favorite!) … So it stands to reason that when changing the tempo the loop will shift both time and pitch with a warbly tape like effect, is that accurate @Gila_Crisis??? My ehx 2880 works in a similar way and I love that warbly tape thing it does when changing BPM.

Super interested in this looper as a space saving replacement for the 2880 with memories

1 Like

yes indeed! especially if you set tempo to Fine, you can create some very cool warbly/tape flutter effects!

Only with the Midi Sync I noticed 2 things: 1440 sticks to the incoming midi clock, so you can’t no more engage the Octave fx (but the reverse still works, of course you can achive these tempo/pitch fxs by alterning the tempo on the master clock device).
You can turn off the ext midi clock sync (that Ext.Clock button is really handy), and then start manipulating the loop as you like (see my video for these tape loop warlb artifacts). The only downside is that to turn on/off the ext.clock the loop has to be in stop.

3 Likes

would love to see an Elektronaut using one of these as a transition looper using a dj mixer as to crossfade between both signals :nerd_face:

Got the EHX 1440 in the mail today. Works pretty great, seems very consistent about tempo and cutting the signal out at the right point. Having 2 layers easily accessible (where you can undo the last layer by holding loop for 2 seconds) is nice.

With the pedal on my master output, its a bit of a juggle making sure to cut out your signal as soon as the bar ends, but definitely doable. I may end up doing something similar to what @depuratumba mentioned and putting the looper before a crossfader/mixer with my dry signal.

The vid starts kind of abruptly, I start by engaging the loop, waiting for it to start and then record a bar (blinking means its waiting to record) and then as soon as the loop end I cut out my synth trak.

Edit: been noticing some timing issues letting the loop play out… might be my midi source though.

2 Likes

I’m returning this, it didn’t sync as well as I was hoping, tho I expect some flutter is to be expected with my setup. I am using an iPad as a clock source :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

sorry to bump this thread… curious about some other experiences syncing to ext. MIDI? I always have this small loopers in mind, and the EHX 1440 seems the most interesting in terms of size/features/price…
I might consider a BOSS RC202 if they release an mk2 version like they just did with RC505.

…i have two different syncable ehx looper models…and they both don’t do the trick in really catchin’ up realtime sync…they try hard, do their best…one even tries with it’s built in timestretch option…which has it’s very own sonic charme…but it gnarls pretty obviously, even when realtimestretchin’ demand is pretty little…

external sync and looping on the fly is still pretty much ot exclusive…i’m afraid…
if we’re thinking hardware only here…

1 Like

sorry to bump this thread - has anyone here tried slaved sync stability with the latest firmware?

2 Likes