Loopers

wow. it can do long overdubs over short 1st loops.

waiting for the ditto + x2 at this point :laughing:

5 Likes

Loos very cool. This is pretty much what I use Ableton’s session view for!

While for general purpose I also hope they release a ditto+ x2 soon, the price of the new ditto+ is very attractive. It stays in the same low price range (€115.- @ thomann / available in 2-3 weeks).

Hmmm … maybe I’ll should just grab one as dedicated companion for the Lyra-8 which is mono …

Update: it even contains a pong game as easter egg:laughing:

2 Likes

Electro Harmonix finally did a small-format pedal with MIDI IN, stereo in/out:

Thought it might be of interest for some of ya

9 Likes

The TC Helicon Perform VE is mainly a vocal processor, but has a looper function, with midi sync, quantized internal drums sounds recording.
Mic or Aux In.
No undo iirc.

2 Likes

I say this everywhere I go… The 'Rang III syncs like a champ, and it’s easily the most comprehensive live looper on the market. Just saying… :wink:

Cheers!

2 Likes

Thanks. After searching for years for an ideal looper, I just pressed the button on the ‘rang 3 … it’s on sale for $449 at the moment

Boomerang III looks good, but I’ve read the manual few times and I don’t like many things how this looper is built.
Also a very negative note: yes you have midi clock synch, but to have full control/access over its funtions you need its Boomerang SideCar pedal (which is as big as the Boomerang itself).

I use to have a Looperlative LP1 back then, and that was a multi-track looper! Only after years using it, I decided I needed something smaller and light weight to take around.
In the end I went for a Pigtronix Infinity, which for my needs is the best choise.

If you’ve never used a 'Rang III, then you just can’t know; certainly not from reading the manual.

I’ve been using loopers onstage, extensively, in a professional context, since the early days of using 2sec digital delays as loopers. I’ve literally used every looper on the market, and have even consulted for several loop pedal manufacturers on the design and functionality of their products.

There are many paradoxes to live looping that most casual users will never encounter, and the 'Rang III solves all of them, both elegantly and intuitively. Everything can be done on-the-fly without any need to preconfigure the pedal, and all the necessary loop functions are accessible without the SideCar (which is only meant to give direct access to the many loop “FX”, which are not otherwise necessary for live looping, but can nevertheless be assigned in real-time if need be). Never mind that most loop pedals, including the Infinity (and the one that this thread is about), don’t boast even half of the 'Rang III’s functionality.

That said, the Infinity would probably be my second choice, if I suddenly needed to replace my 'Rang III’s and couldn’t do that for some reason. I’ve been touring with two 'Rang III’s in my live rig for a decade now, and that’s well over a thousand shows and counting. I’m always looking for new and better looping solutions, and hold no loyalty to any company or brand… There’s no better looper on the market currently; not in pedal format anyway.

Cheers!

4 Likes

If you’re serious about live looping, you won’t regret it. :wink:

Cheers!

1 Like

I always think the EHX 45000 looks so interesting, with its multitrack faders. But a different beast I guess, less of a stomp box

that seems to be one of the contenders but it’s maybe a bit spendy (along w pigtronix one)!! It’s fetch the OT out spendy, the ditto x4 is about the price I can justify maybe this 1440 if it’s getting good feedback on that front. Will investigate some more though, cheers

1 Like

The EHX 45000 (and the new 95000) are definitely solid designs, but they don’t allow for a lot of things: i.e. serial loops, loops of different lengths, master loop functionality, etc. Just to name a few.

There are other caveats as well, but I could literally write a novel about the many paradoxes of live looping; especially within the context of song structure and live performance.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Well, I can’t speak to one’s budget, that’s a very important and personal detail. I will say, however, that you do get what you pay for with the 'Rang III (and the Infinity for that matter).

That said, it really depends on how you intend to use a looper. If you’re just looking to lay down a loop to solo over, or stack a simple vocal harmony, then the 'Rang III is probably overkill. At very least, its deeper functionality might go to waste.

Cheers!

1 Like

As always music and gear are a matter of taste and needs. I have also a long experience of live-looping concerts.

I don’t say the Rang3 is a bad looper, but after using since 2-3 year the Infinity, I find it works and copes very well with my needs. Out of curiosity I did read the manual few time, and for my stile of looping I find few things of the Rang3 work a bit non-intuitive (like the Stack/overdub implementation).
When I got the Infinity the Rang3 was on a hiatus, so I has to consider what was available on the market at that point in time.

This said I always found that the perfect loop pedal doesn’t exist yet, and in the end a lot is made by using your own ingenuity :wink:

1 Like

It’s 4:30a.m. in my part of the world, and I’m hittin’ the proverbial hay here shorty; but what did you find confusing/unintuitive about the stack/overdub functionality in particular? I’m happy to answer any questions…

Cheers!

Would you say there’s a good non pedal looper ? (Ableton was good for me, but couldn’t be bothered with laptop + FCB1010 + controller + audio interface)
Also, I’m hoping to use the left and right outs separately on the 'rang, sending one to an fx … would this work ? possibly with stacking to one side or the other ??

Mobius and Logelloop

1 Like

Hmm…

Well, to be honest, there hasn’t really been a new rack-unit looper in years now; and software like Ableton (or the above-mentioned software platforms), boundless though they may be, they are a bit of a kludge to use live: i.e. too many peripherals required.

I did have some luck using LoopyHD with an iPad, a MIDI controller, and an iConnectAudio4+ for a while; but again, it was a fiddly setup at the best of times. Loopy can MIDI-learn though, so you can use just about any controller that sends CC data or program changes or whatever, so that was nice.

Cheers!

1 Like

I better like to be able to overdub using the same footswitch I use for rec/play. Like on 99.9% loopers available.
On Rang3 you first have to select the loop on which you want to stack and then engage the Stack function. That’s why I find the stacking on the Rang3 not intuitive.