Effect box for the OT

Got a mk2 octatrack on order, so not tested this yet but my plan is to put my zoia on an fx return loop using the cue out and spare pair of inputs.

Ive got the Zoom Ms70 cdr. Its now resigned to guitar work only. I found it annoying menu diving. Yes you can save presets but it sort of sucks the fun out of fx on the fly.

I find myself quite a lot comfortable with DIY, did some tough euro modules like 4ms SWN and SMR, and the Norns is dead easy to build and once installed the OS, adding Apps and play with is a breeze.
Nothing really about coding or terminal like stuff to do.

Reverb on FX1 slot hack

1 Like

Iā€™ll probably use the Zoia as primary OT companion, because it can run synth patches, not just FX. Zoia also has extensive MIDI functionality onboard

Yeah I did it all, from arduino to electronic tinkering, made my own noise box and coded some synth in processing. I got a PiSound not too long ago too, which is pretty powerful but I was just not wanting to get in there anymore. I used to love DIY and I was really active in the community for a while, but I got DIY fatigue when it got to music and I just gave up and just want to have instrument that do the work! Setting up the OT is as far as I go now as far as complexity goes :smiley:

1 Like

Well I ended up getting the Red Panda Particle 2ā€¦ I am not sure the USB midi will work with the OT, but I really like the effect that it creates, I think I would put it pre OT and use the delay / reverb from the OTā€¦ weā€™ll see.

Anyway, probably not the last effect pedal I use with the OT, and Iā€™ll keep this list not to far to see what would work next! (and might have a red panda particle to sell soonish)

1 Like

I dont have the Zoom ms-70cdr but it seems that one can flash the firmware to get different (more) effectsā€¦ SIGNATURE PEDALS ZOOM G1ON-AK G1XON-KL PATCHES / ORIGINAL FIREWIRE | Page 3 | ToneLib Community Forum

This seems a great deal then. At some place itā€™s sold for 82ā‚¬ so in conjunction with the Zoom Effect Manager itā€™s a beginners steal :smiley:

1 Like

yup! and you can design your own patches and download custom patches from the internet. itā€™s honestly such a great little device.

it sounds honestly pretty damn good for a sub 100ā‚¬ multi effects pedal:

2 Likes

The ZOIA and OT combo is just perfect. MIDI control is a breeze too.

3 Likes

Iā€˜ve been eyeing the M5 as an addition to my FX setup but have heard that it doesnā€™t handle line level inputs that well. Have you had any issues with that?

I use mine almost exclusively with line level devises and havenā€™t had any issuesā€¦ sounds super clean effected and bypassed.
Do you know what specifics were being griped about? I can poke a bit further and do some testing if youā€™d like.

1 Like

I didnā€™t hear anything specific just that the inputs arenā€™t designed for line level inputs and therefore can clip easily and donā€™t have any headroom left. But I saw a few example videos with the M5 and synthesizers and they were fine so maybe the people pointing out that issue just didnā€™t pay enough attention to their gain staging.

1 Like

Yea I think you nailed it with this.

Iā€™ve been playing the hydrasynth through it latelyā€¦ and the hydra can get LOUD sometimes. No prob.
Iā€™ll be home on a few hours and would be happy to turn stuff up and push some limits then report back, butā€¦.
Iā€™d say that if the spec sheet looks good to you, itā€™s worth it. You basically pay 1$ per effect pedal being modeled and the thing is a little tank.

I have a Zoom ms-70cdr also, but havenā€™t used it yet. Sorry for the noob question but why is a midi clock input good to have for an effect?

To sync the delay, modulationsā€¦

Forgot that interesting hackā€¦I may be interested as a portable guitar fx (AA batteries apparently).
Maybe the MS50 (mono input), or Iā€™d paint the MS70 in black!

1 Like

Thank you

+1 on the ZOIA.

(Program changes sent from the OT).

:bomb: :elot: :japanese_ogre:

4 Likes

And clock, CC control I guess.
Btw I asked about its looping abilities, no answer on dedicated topicā€¦

1 Like

God, iā€™d love someone to make a tutorial video on this.