Dub Techno Recommendations

I feel like anything in this zone I listen to just pales in comparison to the Basic Channel/Rhythm and Sound/Burial Mix/Chain Reaction-era.

The last electronic/dub record that really hit me right was this Deadbeat and even it isn’t particularly ‘fresh’, but it just felt flawlessly produced:

3 Likes

do not forgett Maurizo :wink:

2 Likes

some friends from france made this beauty. cyan music is a great label btw.

1 Like

Oh, my gosh, what an awesome thread. I had the same question as the OP — what makes dub techno? I was closer to understanding it than I thought, and I’m learning so much listening to all the examples posted. Thank you all!!

3 Likes

Dub Cousteau is an all time favourite of mine from the YT community

3 Likes

Not sure if it’s been posted earlier or not, but this article has a great history of Basic Channel, the origins of Dub Techno, etc. Filled with some great quotes from the people involved, and plenty of example songs (YouTube embeds) throughout the article. A must-read for Dub Techno fanatics.

1 Like

I just came across this thread and tried out this technique, it’s amazing! :heart_decoration:

Thanks @LyingDalai and @Bwax for sharing, hours of fun here. Actually doesn’t sound too far off those chord sequences in Barker’s recent stuff (Chord-Arps/-Patterns like "Barker" - HOW?) with the right drum loops. Also I now see how they did the intro to “Remind Me” by Royksopp :wink:

I actually really liked the sound of this technique with just four bands on the vocoder, then tweaking the Gate level and the release to control the “amount of trigs” (for want of a better work). Sounds great if you run it in to an Auto Filter using the filter’s envelope trigger with a bit of attack, that way you get that nice dub techno filter attack squelch at low cutoff values, then removing the attack and becoming sharper as you increase the cutoff.

This is a great thread, thanks all, loads of other stuff to check out!

4 Likes

Started making a Spotify playlist of the albums listed on that site and found someone has alrady done it :slight_smile: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/55mfhWJYCkuMhSrSCWsgE6?si=yFPOUMf5SOCTq38TbJarqg

3 Likes

One track free to download

1 Like

Couple of very nice delay plug-ins for this sort of thing … Modnetic, & Diffuse:

Don’t think this company is very well known, but the sound is top notch!

3 Likes

Ah yes, I got those on sale a while back and they sound wonderful, instant dub techno. The Echo plugin in Live 10 is pretty good too if you introduce a bit of noise and modulation

1 Like

Nadja Lind / LucidFlow / Klartraum is absolutely amazing for this style of music. She’s got a very prolific SoundCloud page for herself, her label, and people on it.

Also on YouTube, check out VØSNE’s sets. They’re quite nice.

Also Martin Stürtzer (Phelios on Eletronauts) has some great stuff.

Just a few of my favorites off the top of my head, but really good stuff.

3 Likes

Deepchord, convextion, rod modell is for me the best dubtechno
and the best ever dubtechno track in my opinion is:

5 Likes

https://archive.org/details/thinner

Thinner netlabel , lots of dub.

1 Like

haha that is funny, I did the same thing but didn’t notice anyone else had

it’s that Detroit acid line …

…so much good tips in here…but noboby seemed to mention dead beat…
my all time fav when it comes to dub with straight floor basics…

2 Likes

I posted this in the “what music u listening” thread but reckon it deserves a place in this thread! Followers 37k Following 0 . Kudos!

https://soundcloud.com/andrew-weatherall/blue-bullet

1 Like

El Choop, Idealist and Van Bonn are some nice artists of the new generation to watch. Glad they got on remix duties for my album.

Hope that is okay for you to post some own music here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve been following El Choop this past year. Love the work he puts out. And a huge thank you for the Etui podcasts! I look forward to each one.

1 Like