Dub Techno Recommendations

From what I know of the machines, i don’t really see how audio can be used to get trigs and velocities…
Unless some kind of side-chaining technique is used… Like : opposite of the traditional bass-pump from the kick, we would want the chords be played play the same volume as the audio input… Maybe there is something to investigate this way…

But you’re right Peter, there are tons of other things to try and have fun with ^^

A combfilter for the A4 / AK would be fine … like the one in the Waldorf Blofeld / Micro Q.

I guess Echtzeit used combfilter from the Access Virus TI

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but this is awesome! After a 10+ year break from music, I’m getting back in and Rytm will be a huge part of it. This is exactly the type of music I want to do, but I just didn’t know it was called ‘Dub Techno’. In hindsight that makes perfect sense. I owned a record store in the early 2000’s and right or wrong we just called this ‘Dark Minimal House’ for those of us (all 2 or 3 here) that were into it amongst a sea of breaks/electro, trance and jungle/D&B DJ’s.

I’ve really been enjoying and hugely learning from Lingk on these vids (great tracks too): https://www.youtube.com/user/xlingk

4 Likes

hai
thank you everyone for these beautiful hints

i dont know if this fits in here because its super housy too but ill try anyway…
i just discovered this

and want more material like this…
do you know anything in this direction?
(basically looking for bouncy, hypnotic and maybe a bit laid back)

1 Like

Ha! Good timing. Watching a LingK video right now. Great stuff. Started watching his vids after discovering him on the #Jamuary thread.

Can’t stop listening to this album…

Severence - Hidden Ceilings

If you like fizzy ambient ever-evolving Dub Techno, give it a listen. I rank it up there with the best of the genre.

http://www.severence.net/releases/

3 Likes

The forum is asking if I really want to bump this topic after 2 years. Yes, yes I do.

I got introduced to Dub Techno a couple months ago, quite by accident… was looking for sample packs on Loopmasters in the Chill/Electronica/Minimal sections and saw some stuff for Dub Techno… I was like, what the hell is Dub Techno anyway? Thus began my descent down the rabbit hole, and since then it has literally been all I’ve been listening to.

First off, for anyone else that comes along, this was a particularly useful resource for getting exposure to a number of different offshoots and angles of the genre:

From there, I was able to follow some leads to find other artists/albums not listed. Still tons of still I have yet to listen to, but so far standouts for me have been:

Martin Schulte - Ocean (recent release)
Heavenchord - Cold (recent release)
Vril - Anima Mundi
Sraunus - Equal Melodies
Mikkel Metal - Just Enough Light
Fluxion - Ripple Effect (recent release, but also all other albums!)
Deepchord
Yagya (everyone says Rigning but other more recent albums I’ve heard are quite good)

If anyone else has any suggestions for more recent releases (within the past couple years), I would love to hear them, also to revive and keep this thread going for what I have found to be quite an intriguing genre with so many little corners to explore!

6 Likes

Thank you to revive this thread :smiley:

3 Likes

I’m out right now, but I have two recommendations.

On YouTube: V0SNE

On SoundCloud: Nadja Lind (many styles but her Dub Tech sets are top notch.)

Also, Martin Sturtzer (who I recently discovered posts here) is another good one, and uses Elektron devices (bonus) :slight_smile:

5 Likes

+1 for Atabeylive, especially good if you have a virus ti

1 Like

Dub Recommendation

Techno Recommendation

1 Like

I loved Nadja Lind’s ‘Sofa Sessions’ and looked forward every month to a new release, but sadly it looks like that series might have come to an end. Same with Ben Hoo’s ‘We Are Night People’. Both not strictly Dub Techno, but that same dark, deep vibe. I’m hunting for something new.

1 Like

G.R.I.T. is my oldest friend. We met in High School and we’ve made music together since 1987. Back then we were a Hip Hop duo. He was an MC and I was a DJ (Raw Wizdom & Wax Wizard) haha.

7 Likes

love G.R.I.T. sound finest dubtechno :slight_smile:

1 Like

Twilight Circus is a top dub producer, and all-round nice person to boot. Not sure he makes dub techno as such… for a long time I was very into UK dub sound systems like Iration Steppas, The Disciples, Zion Train etc from encountering them at free festivals, or more recently the Jahtari label from Leipzig, who have been putting out some fine electronic dub releases with more than a hint of chiptune for a decade or more.

But this is of course a very different sound to most dub techno, and sometimes called digi-dub instead, as in the originators:

1 Like
1 Like

I was being facetious on a Friday night.
He makes amazing dub though. I got a chance to meet him at the Phoenix Landing in Cambridge about 20 years ago.

According to that “32 Best Dub Techno Albums Ever Made” link, “12 Miles High” is a great Dub Techno track.
I came to the genre rather late, so missed a lot of the highlights “in the moment”.
But I remember when “12 Miles High” was brand new, and I loved it:

_

In this way, Las Vegas philosophically bridges the gap between dub techno’s core identity and the then-burgeoning Warp scene, where experimental artists were turning techno into something completely new. If I were to recommend one first-generation dub techno album to someone more familiar with Aphex Twin or Boards of Canada, this would undoubtedly be it.

_

you might wanna check out this:

or this:

:blush:

I think I probably last met him in person about 20 years ago too, either at a Pink Dots or Download gig - he opened the latter show to a room full of goths and industrialists waiting for Download with a set of heavy, heavy live dub. I was one of three or so people dancing.

2 Likes

some of my fav tracks in this genre at the moment:

1 Like