Dsi tetra and octatrack

Well, forums can be quite time consuming and sometimes I need to take a break otherwise I don’t get things done! But I visit often. I just don’t engage in conversations that much.

2 Likes

What about drums synthesis with the Tetra ? (Compare to Tempest, AR)
And the ability to change programs and use them as a drum kit? I could do it with a Blofeld…

You bet. I’m totally addicted to Elektronauts. I’d need a cure…

In general you should find the Tetra to compare well to the Tempest for drum synthesis. The Tempest adds samples but for pure drum synthesis it is not really anything out of the ordinary. The Tempest (as much as I do love it!) is in many ways a six part multi-timbral tetra/mopho/p08. It can do great things but it is not really a drum synth like the AR, Nord drum or others are. Those synths have special designs to make drums. In particular the AR has several different voice configurations to choose from. This is how true drum synths work. The tr808 for example has a different synth voice architecture for each drum sound.

My point is not to talk down the Tetra or Tempest. The still make great sounds. But the tetra will be very similar to the Tempest (other than samples).

Tetra’s are currently so cheap. I’ve saw several for $425. A great deal in my opinion. The only conflict may be that for perhaps $200 more you can often get an even more unfairly undervalued A4.

3 Likes

Received today. Still don’t know how I will use it having already A4. Problably pads, bass, leads.
Not sure about drums finally…
Thoughts?

4 Lfos for all voices, or each voice?

On DSI support page :
Latest Tetra OS — Main v1.5/Voice v1.2

Mine seems higher. I don’t get it.

3 Likes

Those are the latest firmwares and they are very important, some major bugs were fixed especially the whole NRPN business and bank/patch changes over midi. They are listes as “beta” but in fact are the last ever released. So you’re good to go.

2 Likes

How’s it working out for you so far?

1 Like

He’s having a great time, I bet.

2 Likes

Not yet! I have to make patches from scratch first, tonight. Pad, acid bassline.

I’m missing a hipass filter for hihats for instance. Audio mod for filter seems efficient.
Not sure if I’ll use an editor. Any free one?
I rather set a midi controller for that.

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,681.0.html

That’s the changelog. To see the download links you must register.

1 Like

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,681.0.html?PHPSESSID=f6u5n9pju4bqp0r6rhsnu1rtt2

I was about to post that link. :wink:
I’ll be back!

1 Like

The SoundTower Editor is free. I recommend to download it, even if it has some quirks, but it helps learning the (quite complex) structure of the synth. Very useful for the sequencers (which you can assign to anything, not only notes! Huge possibilities for sound design!))

1 Like

Ok so I could use Tetra without editor, even used sequencer, multi, combo, the UI is ok fot me after around 10 hours with it.

Sounds can be really better than A4 in certain territories, but, getting used to hipass filter on A4 and DN, I really miss it on a multi. Ok individual outs for eq.

Sounds are also very good in Unison, but that wasn’t the first goal. Kick synthesis, bass, lead, pads…
Unison 2?

As I recently used DN only, I am probably biased. I think it’s a really good 4 voices analog synth, but maybe that’s not what I want/need.
I’d like to compare it to a Pulse 2, a Moog.
I had a SE1. Really good but mono only.
For pads I’ll probably go back to Micromonsta with V2.

I sequenced it with DN (plocked program changes) then A4, with Multi mode and Combo.
Maybe OT would add some magic to it.

I also curious about Access Virus digital synth, not sure if it can get as warm as Micromonsta (didn’t liked Blofeld sound).
(M)any thoughts? :content:

Since I have it, few monthes, I find it’s sound very good, I can program it without editor (don’t have computer) there’s no real problem. But I can’t really love it. Cannot explain why. Didn’t glue. I find it’s sound a bit to sage. I really prefer the Evolver. Naturaly I return to Evolver. I think Tetr4 won’t stay long time in my studio…

1 Like

Feedback and audio filter parameters are interesting to make it wilder, I would have liked an additional distortion, and once again, additional hipass or multimode filter.

I understood of course :wink: but isn’t there a better translation than “wise” , like “too gentle”?

1 Like

Many thoughts are available in the appropriate topics:

2 Likes

Ha ha, la French touche :smirk:

I don’t see how one could compare a Dave Smith/Curtis design with a Moog. Those are two different worlds! Especially the Mopho/Tetra/P8/Rev2 line… Just not the same sound at all!

For sure. I’d just like to compare them side by side, but not sure to keep it. Probably Pulse 2 first. I had an SE1, I’d be tempted by a SE02.
So probably a mono + Micromonsta V2.

I have to experiment the audio filter more.
Is there a way to lower the cut off frequency with a constant mod?

Save up for a Subsequent37. Incredibly inspiring synth. (Not 25, you’ll want a 37 immediately). If you don’t have the real estate or the budget, Mother32 is very “Moogy” , otherwise try a Sirin. The tryptic Mother32-DFAM-Subharmonicon coupled with a Octatrack is a small-space killer set-up, really. (I’ve a Subharmonicon, and am saving up for the DFAM, M32 being the last on the list because I already have a Subsequent37).

What do you mean exactly?