Dsi tetra and octatrack

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,681.0.html?PHPSESSID=f6u5n9pju4bqp0r6rhsnu1rtt2

I was about to post that link. :wink:
I’ll be back!

1 Like

The SoundTower Editor is free. I recommend to download it, even if it has some quirks, but it helps learning the (quite complex) structure of the synth. Very useful for the sequencers (which you can assign to anything, not only notes! Huge possibilities for sound design!))

1 Like

Ok so I could use Tetra without editor, even used sequencer, multi, combo, the UI is ok fot me after around 10 hours with it.

Sounds can be really better than A4 in certain territories, but, getting used to hipass filter on A4 and DN, I really miss it on a multi. Ok individual outs for eq.

Sounds are also very good in Unison, but that wasn’t the first goal. Kick synthesis, bass, lead, pads…
Unison 2?

As I recently used DN only, I am probably biased. I think it’s a really good 4 voices analog synth, but maybe that’s not what I want/need.
I’d like to compare it to a Pulse 2, a Moog.
I had a SE1. Really good but mono only.
For pads I’ll probably go back to Micromonsta with V2.

I sequenced it with DN (plocked program changes) then A4, with Multi mode and Combo.
Maybe OT would add some magic to it.

I also curious about Access Virus digital synth, not sure if it can get as warm as Micromonsta (didn’t liked Blofeld sound).
(M)any thoughts? :content:

Since I have it, few monthes, I find it’s sound very good, I can program it without editor (don’t have computer) there’s no real problem. But I can’t really love it. Cannot explain why. Didn’t glue. I find it’s sound a bit to sage. I really prefer the Evolver. Naturaly I return to Evolver. I think Tetr4 won’t stay long time in my studio…

1 Like

Feedback and audio filter parameters are interesting to make it wilder, I would have liked an additional distortion, and once again, additional hipass or multimode filter.

I understood of course :wink: but isn’t there a better translation than “wise” , like “too gentle”?

1 Like

Many thoughts are available in the appropriate topics:

2 Likes

Ha ha, la French touche :smirk:

I don’t see how one could compare a Dave Smith/Curtis design with a Moog. Those are two different worlds! Especially the Mopho/Tetra/P8/Rev2 line… Just not the same sound at all!

For sure. I’d just like to compare them side by side, but not sure to keep it. Probably Pulse 2 first. I had an SE1, I’d be tempted by a SE02.
So probably a mono + Micromonsta V2.

I have to experiment the audio filter more.
Is there a way to lower the cut off frequency with a constant mod?

Save up for a Subsequent37. Incredibly inspiring synth. (Not 25, you’ll want a 37 immediately). If you don’t have the real estate or the budget, Mother32 is very “Moogy” , otherwise try a Sirin. The tryptic Mother32-DFAM-Subharmonicon coupled with a Octatrack is a small-space killer set-up, really. (I’ve a Subharmonicon, and am saving up for the DFAM, M32 being the last on the list because I already have a Subsequent37).

What do you mean exactly?

Thanks, I’d want a desktop only, with full midi implementation. Pulse 2 seems to be the best contender for me yet. Possible to change paraphony mode via midi.

If I encrease envelope filter amount, the lowest filter frequency seems too high. I’m used to have synths that go lower.
I guess a workaround would be to assign modulation to filter env amount and filter frequency.

Try the sequencers to modulate

I’d rather choose modulation wheel, playing with a keyboard.
I tried the sequencer, it’s efficient.

Like this? There’s even some space left for your DN

2 Likes

I prefer this one.

I want a dual stand setup I can lift! :content:

2 Likes

Here’s one tip I remember about the Tetra. If you find the sound too “clean” as some do, use noise to modulate filter cutoff. It brings a sort of grit you would not expect.

4 Likes

On the market to expand my Mopho X4 with a Tetra, so reviving this thread. In response to your comment, it’s not that I ever find my patches “too clean”, but rather the opposite, that they are too abrasive. Any tips on getting some softer, OB-esque pads?

Change filter type, lower osc levels, drive…

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve had some luck going to the 2-pole and bringing the resonance up a little bit, it just seems hard to get rid of the “sizzle” that everyone is so keen to describe on DSI synths.

I’m hoping to get some nice OB-esque pads with the X4/Tetra combo so that I don’t have to shell out big dough for an OB6. And even then, I’d have two less voices…

Not entirely related, but I think you mentioned above that you were thinking about a Virus. I’ve got a KB that has been completely recapped, partially collecting dust.

1 Like

Thanks, since I sold my Tetra, bought a Virus TI Desktop, a Pulse 2, finally sold them for a Typhon and a Micromonsta 2, I don’t regret my choices.

I also have Digitone and A4 so it’s more than enough for me!

1 Like