Drum n' Bass Battle #1 (Get Animated) New Compilation Mix by DJ Enzyme!

Nice idea @djenzyme maybe if we can maintain the momentum you could do a monthly dnb mini mixtape for us all to enjoy… that would be the shit…:clap::+1::muscle:

1 Like

That would be mad dope!

1 Like

I’m gonna run one every month. Well, it’s going to be a rolling battle, because I don’t want to encroach on peoples time to do the hip hop battle. So once the hip hop battle deadline passes, I’ll announce the new DnB battle.

4 Likes

I just did a quick excel tally…

BLKrbbt tonight

2 Likes

That’s hilarious. haha

1 Like

Okay… here’s the winners.

I hope i tallied everything right.

The ultimate winner is @braken!

I want to give you a $5 gift card to Starbucks, if you don’t mind… just PM me your email for me to send it to you.

Congratulations!

The next two runners up are…

@ramcmdr

then…

@Symian

I just want to thank everyone who made a track and participated! This was such a blast, and I feel honored to have been able to do this.

There will be an announcement following the deadline of the hip hop battle with a brand new theme!

Again, thank you all!

17 Likes

Fantastic!

You should update the original post so that it will remain visible and easy to find. This post could get buried pretty easily once people check-in to see who won :slight_smile:

Looking forward to the next challenge! Hoping I can find some time to participate in the next one.

Edit: It might also be helpful to list their track beside their names so we can go back and listen to them.

1 Like

Congrats guys! Well played.

@BLKrbbt thanks for organising this, and +1 what @d4ydream said - would be cool to see who did what etc.

Looking forward to the next one!

3 Likes

Congrat all!
as @d4ydream says, it would be great to know who made which track :slight_smile:
Edit: you did, thx a lot!

2 Likes

Well here’s mine, anyway.

I sampled Astro Farm, which was a slightly obscure stop motion show from the 90s. I remember watching it when I was like 6 or 7, and had totally forgotten about it until now.

I sampled the theme tune from this video:

Then I ran the audio through Stemroller (https://github.com/stemrollerapp/stemroller) to get the stems for the vocals and chords, discarding the drums and bass.

I worked mostly in-the-box. All the naughty bass sounds in the second half are from the AnalogFX SER-2020, which I resampled and processed in various ways.

I will probs work on it some more because I think there’s potential for a really good tune there.

6 Likes

Sorry, I was busy on Soundcloud replacing all the names and images to reflect everybody’s track.

If you go to the top of the page it’s reflected on the playlist.

And this is a wonderful opportunity to tell everyone where you pulled your inspiration and what gear you used!

3 Likes

I updated the playlist at the top of the page to reflect who’s track is which.

6 Likes

Nice one mate!

2 Likes

Thanks all and congrats!!! only used ableton and made most of it on the bus to work. I sampled the Catsoup soundtrack. a Japanese animated masterpiece. Used mostly the amen and thinkbreaks. Operator for bass.

6 Likes

That is both unexpected and very gratifying, thank you to all of you who voted for my track, i know it wasn’t the most obvious of cartoon tie ins with the samples being lifted from the star trek animated series but I wanted to stay close to the brief and at the same time true to the drums and the bass…

Production wise it’s all Ableton I’m afraid (sorry gear heads) all the bass parts were split between serum and sylenth, I used a break from a total science pack and some top loops from Abletons stock clips and the rest is chopped amens etc… oh yeah and the pads are omnisphere and the ambiences are the sound of the enterprises deck looped on a pad…

Once again thanks for the votes

9 Likes

Big congrats to @braken and thanks to everyone who voted for me, really enjoyed taking part in this!

My track was created start to finish on an M8. Aside from the breaks, pad and Mufasa courtesy of The Lion King, all of the sounds were sampled from the Hanna Barbera sfx library, including their famous ident which runs throughout the track

7 Likes

Wow, pretty pumped for the win here! Thanks for the votes and listens.

Admittedly I’m not a big animation fan (I hate their stupid little voices and want to reach through the tv to choke the bastards lol), however my bro and I had this diecast Voltron when we were kids, and I always loved the form up sequence in the cartoon, so I took that as my inspo. Just want to say that the diecast Voltron was one of the most effective weapons in our household growing up. Definitely a relic of the early 80’s when toys were seemingly designed to include a little danger.

I would have liked to put work into using more samples, but I had a full project failure and everything after that was just a rush to re-build and get something recorded.

All drums and the 808-ish pedal bass came from Syntakt
Call and response synth and the dunka-dunks from Digitone
Pads from the Hydrasynth and MM2
Chords from Nymphes
Sfx from BS2 and Pro1
I sequenced the entire thing from the Hapax, which was my first time using an arranger/song-mode. Definitely learned a lot about how to use the Hapax during the process (since I ended up programming the entire thing twice lol)

11 Likes

My track “Steam Bass Willie” was done entirely on the Polyend Tracker in an evening using the sample content that came with the Tracker with the exception of the sample from “Steamboat Willie” which I sampled into the Tracker from YouTube on my laptop with a 3.5mm cable.

My kids suggested Steamboat Willie and it’s exactly 90bpm so fit with a 180BPM break without any tweaking

I’ve never done any D&B before so I did the most basic approximation I could come up with based on my minimal understanding of the genre.

Essentially I just did the theme over a breakbeat then messed up the theme using some of the Tracker’s generative capabilities and then messed up the breakbeat the same way.

It sounded a bit flat when I played it back so I put the stems into Bitwig and used some of the Fabfilter plugins I bought on Black Friday which seemed to bring it to life a bit.

Great competition, really glad to have taken part and nice to learn something about Drum and Bass as it’s a new genre to me.

10 Likes

I pulled audio off of youtube from the Pointer Sisters (RIP) Pinball Count from Sesame Street.

I tap tempoed the track at 79 bpm, then doubled it on the SP404 to a crisp 160 bpm. Then I sequenced all the one shots in, getting the sample chops to fire rhythmically. Then added some a reese from a sample pack from Black Sun Empire. Kick, snare, and hi hats were from Paragon Kits.

This is what Ive been doing on all these competitions… sequencing all my own drums, and you can tell by how unorthodox they are.

I had a different plan to go with, but my production is based on going with whatever is working, not the “song” in my head. i really have no idea what I’m doing when make music, and I am just as surprised by the finished product as anyone else.

This shit was mad fun, and I can’t wait till the next one.

I think the Hip Hop battle is over on the 15th, so look out for the new DnB battle then. I’ll tag everyone from this thread into that new thread!

7 Likes

Well deserved win fella, impressive hardware list to match an impressive beat…:pray::muscle:

1 Like