Drum n' Bass Battle #1 (Get Animated) New Compilation Mix by DJ Enzyme!

Big congrats to @braken and thanks to everyone who voted for me, really enjoyed taking part in this!

My track was created start to finish on an M8. Aside from the breaks, pad and Mufasa courtesy of The Lion King, all of the sounds were sampled from the Hanna Barbera sfx library, including their famous ident which runs throughout the track

7 Likes

Wow, pretty pumped for the win here! Thanks for the votes and listens.

Admittedly I’m not a big animation fan (I hate their stupid little voices and want to reach through the tv to choke the bastards lol), however my bro and I had this diecast Voltron when we were kids, and I always loved the form up sequence in the cartoon, so I took that as my inspo. Just want to say that the diecast Voltron was one of the most effective weapons in our household growing up. Definitely a relic of the early 80’s when toys were seemingly designed to include a little danger.

I would have liked to put work into using more samples, but I had a full project failure and everything after that was just a rush to re-build and get something recorded.

All drums and the 808-ish pedal bass came from Syntakt
Call and response synth and the dunka-dunks from Digitone
Pads from the Hydrasynth and MM2
Chords from Nymphes
Sfx from BS2 and Pro1
I sequenced the entire thing from the Hapax, which was my first time using an arranger/song-mode. Definitely learned a lot about how to use the Hapax during the process (since I ended up programming the entire thing twice lol)

11 Likes

My track “Steam Bass Willie” was done entirely on the Polyend Tracker in an evening using the sample content that came with the Tracker with the exception of the sample from “Steamboat Willie” which I sampled into the Tracker from YouTube on my laptop with a 3.5mm cable.

My kids suggested Steamboat Willie and it’s exactly 90bpm so fit with a 180BPM break without any tweaking

I’ve never done any D&B before so I did the most basic approximation I could come up with based on my minimal understanding of the genre.

Essentially I just did the theme over a breakbeat then messed up the theme using some of the Tracker’s generative capabilities and then messed up the breakbeat the same way.

It sounded a bit flat when I played it back so I put the stems into Bitwig and used some of the Fabfilter plugins I bought on Black Friday which seemed to bring it to life a bit.

Great competition, really glad to have taken part and nice to learn something about Drum and Bass as it’s a new genre to me.

10 Likes

I pulled audio off of youtube from the Pointer Sisters (RIP) Pinball Count from Sesame Street.

I tap tempoed the track at 79 bpm, then doubled it on the SP404 to a crisp 160 bpm. Then I sequenced all the one shots in, getting the sample chops to fire rhythmically. Then added some a reese from a sample pack from Black Sun Empire. Kick, snare, and hi hats were from Paragon Kits.

This is what Ive been doing on all these competitions… sequencing all my own drums, and you can tell by how unorthodox they are.

I had a different plan to go with, but my production is based on going with whatever is working, not the “song” in my head. i really have no idea what I’m doing when make music, and I am just as surprised by the finished product as anyone else.

This shit was mad fun, and I can’t wait till the next one.

I think the Hip Hop battle is over on the 15th, so look out for the new DnB battle then. I’ll tag everyone from this thread into that new thread!

7 Likes

Well deserved win fella, impressive hardware list to match an impressive beat…:pray::muscle:

1 Like

Brilliant, well done @braken, @ramcmdr and @symian! Very inspiring challenge and I am very excited for the next round.

3 Likes

Thanks man, me too, got my breaks and a plan, hopefully the brief fits what I already have in mind…:sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I got a plan too! and a very trashy cellargig in early march so gonna try and go live and hardware next time to rehearse for that at the same time. OT, minibrute and dr-660.

2 Likes

Congratulations @braken (really loved the use of noise in your track) @ramcmdr & @Symian.
Solid work :clap: great tunes

4 Likes

Congrats to the winners and thanks for this battle @BLKrbbt

I’m originally not at all into DnB but I think I will keep participating because it is fun and challenging + I discovered very cool DnB stuff

Cheers

2 Likes

If I coulda voted, this woulda been it. And Voltron for the sample, hell yeah!

Well done to everyone that participated.

2 Likes

Congratz to the winners! Can’t wait for the next one.

2 Likes

cool one, the winners deserve it all; big thanks to @BLKrbbt for organizing this battle and put so much effort in it!

If you are interested in the workflow of my track, here it is: I worked with a DAW using three layers of sampled drum that included “sword” samples cut from the anime Afro Samurai; actually I liked to use the acapella version of Mobb Depp “Front lines” and decided to set a kind of angry conversation between him and Afro :rofl:
Speaking of bass, I’ve been using three different layers of bass: a simple dub sine and then two othes basses that create a bit of modulation along the track. I could make it longer and variate some sequences but I was running out of time!

Here’s the original version from Mobb Depp

5 Likes

Great to have all the details on how tracks were created :slight_smile:
For mine I hesitated between staying closer to battle topic with french covers of 80’s japanese anime, and going with one of the movie that inspired me a lot in my life: Akira.

I used OTmk2 and MC101 only, with little Maximus FL studio plugin on master to enhance sound a little bit.

I decided to sample 2 parts of the movie: Tetsuo bad trip at hospital (strange voices that can be heard at beginning and end of the track) and tribal drums during motorcycle trip, that can be heard through the whole track.
These samples where stretched to fit 170 bpm, and repitched.
I also used

• MC101 synths to create pads and atmosphere stuff
  • some jungle breaks samples, disassembled and resequenced
  • 1 sample provided with OT for the bass, sliced and resequenced
  • 2 samples for more atmosphere and voice sounds

Just after finishing my track and before recording master in FL Studio, I lost 75% of the project. I was really pissed off, but decided to go on and rebuild. So I painfully learned a lot about OT CF card management!

Going jungle vibe instead drum and bass took me a bit out of my comfort zone, but teach me a lot.
And I wanted to keep the track evolving without repeating itself too much, so it also helped me to improve on how to make melodical and sounds variations on a track with staying in the same vibe.

Was great pleasure!

8 Likes

I ended up reuploading mine with a bit of mastering to bring the bass a bit more in line with where I wanted it. I ended up using voice samples from DNA2 (an odd anime about the “mega playboy”) and a bit of the theme from card captor sakura. You might argue that mine kinda missed the brief a bit as I didn’t really use any melody and instead used one shots from it. 4 of the 8 samples I used were from either show though. 9 sound sources total, the smeary sub bass is from the ALM MCO/MCF into MFX, all Samples are on the Squid Salmple, Squencing all came from M8 tracker. EFFEXX on the all the samples, I probably over did the FX a bit.

3 Likes

I’m really interested in hearin how @Claid did that call and response drop at 1:30 in his track.

That response part is soooo good.

1 Like
Slightly long track description for the last track

My track sounded a little different, partially because I put some unnecessary and arbitrary rules on myself
No synths/ No reverb/ No delay

Which made it a little dry, less full and missing some elements that I would have loved to put in

All sounds were samples only from a bunch of different breaks and a random assortment of animation from 50 years ago up to modern stuff

Even the bass had to be sampled, which was rough to get something that even worked, let alone actually sounded good, mostly filtered down &eqd from La Planète sauvage it was very tempting to just use a good synth for that (would have been so much better) and I also couldn’t find great sustained pad sounds high strings and some other stuff I was wanting to use,(really could have used some good pads on this) but I worked around with what I could find/manipulate and stuck to my silly rule
Some synth type sounds also came from manipulating some resampled timestreching

I was thinking about doing a darker and more serious track, but wanted to just have fun with it and was a little silly and ok being cheezy as a lot of cartoons are cheezy and just leaned hard into the animation theme

Some of what I can remember being used
Aeon flux
Blasters universe
Galaxy rangers
The amazing world of gumball
Avengers
Attack of the killer tomatoes
Captain N
Adventures of super mario bros. 3
Les Maîtres du temps (time masters)
La Planète sauvage (fantastic planet)

And a bunch more, (mostly unrecognizable small snippits) that I didn’t name or write down what they were but it was various 80s and 90s cartoon theme songs

Vox smpls from
The Simpsons
Savage planet(fantastic planet) English dub
Arthur
Ben10
Gi Joe extreme
George of the jungle
Gooftroop
An Indian kids lesson show(forget the name)
Rapping from 90s cartoon themes including
Tone loc from c bear and Jamal &
Mc hammer from hammerman

Various breaks were used including some classics like funky drummer think impeach the pres amen etc and a bunch of other random maybe lesser known ones I found

Not familiar with making this style or even working with breaks so it was great fun to experiment, and I feel like I learned some things along the way

Too much fun, so sorry for having such a long track and long description

I had more I didn’t use but it was already getting excessive and I began to cut things out and clean it up a little but I ran out of time and had to rush it out a little. I started on this kind of late and really should have started sooner, it was taking longer and more work than I thought because I don’t really know what I’m doing with this style but I really enjoyed learning and had a blast making something kind of silly

Oh yeah also, mpc was used. That’s it

8 Likes

Gotta say that for me personally @MichalHo track was the absolute standout in terms of production aesthetic, it perfectly nailed the photek mad break programming and grimey tech vibe and… If your listening fella I’d love a breakdown of how you achieved it cos it’s what I aspire to.:pray::ok_hand::facepunch:

4 Likes

Jesus.

I feel like I should just quit after that.

2 Likes

I kinda miss my MPC sometimes, it’s pretty nice bit of kit for dnb stuff, you can get some heavy sounding beats out of them… I’m mean even though they’re all digital now everything I did on mine sounds different to anything else done on other gear, in a good way👍

2 Likes