Drum n' Bass Battle #1 (Get Animated) New Compilation Mix by DJ Enzyme!

Ties can joint host/ collaborate on setting the theme for the next one if everyone is so inclined

4 Likes

it happened in Tokio at the high jump final, can’t forget because one of the two winners was italian and was kind of historical win…

1 Like

I’m really looking forward to hearing what the sources were for all of the submissions. Pinky and the Brain was the only one I recognised and, unless you’re British and of a certain age, I’m guessing my sample will have been unrecognisable to many.
I’d also love to know what gear submissions were created and mixed on. There were some great mixes in the playlist.

1 Like

Yeah, all that is the best part. The how.

And I love the fact your choices were niche, as I would have never learned about your childhood culture otherwise.

Tomorrow will be the big reveal.

I can’t vote as I didn’t enter (too much crap going on in my life to finish anything at the mo), but I just listened to all the entries and the standards are high. Its nice to see breakbeats getting some love on a predominantly 4/4 forum, not that my opinion matters! :slight_smile:

I hope there will be more of these battles so I can take part too. Also, if no one else wants to do it, I’m happy to mix the playlist into a set.

3 Likes

Nice idea @djenzyme maybe if we can maintain the momentum you could do a monthly dnb mini mixtape for us all to enjoy… that would be the shit…:clap::+1::muscle:

1 Like

That would be mad dope!

1 Like

I’m gonna run one every month. Well, it’s going to be a rolling battle, because I don’t want to encroach on peoples time to do the hip hop battle. So once the hip hop battle deadline passes, I’ll announce the new DnB battle.

4 Likes

I just did a quick excel tally…

BLKrbbt tonight

2 Likes

That’s hilarious. haha

1 Like

Okay… here’s the winners.

I hope i tallied everything right.

The ultimate winner is @braken!

I want to give you a $5 gift card to Starbucks, if you don’t mind… just PM me your email for me to send it to you.

Congratulations!

The next two runners up are…

@ramcmdr

then…

@Symian

I just want to thank everyone who made a track and participated! This was such a blast, and I feel honored to have been able to do this.

There will be an announcement following the deadline of the hip hop battle with a brand new theme!

Again, thank you all!

17 Likes

Fantastic!

You should update the original post so that it will remain visible and easy to find. This post could get buried pretty easily once people check-in to see who won :slight_smile:

Looking forward to the next challenge! Hoping I can find some time to participate in the next one.

Edit: It might also be helpful to list their track beside their names so we can go back and listen to them.

1 Like

Congrats guys! Well played.

@BLKrbbt thanks for organising this, and +1 what @d4ydream said - would be cool to see who did what etc.

Looking forward to the next one!

3 Likes

Congrat all!
as @d4ydream says, it would be great to know who made which track :slight_smile:
Edit: you did, thx a lot!

2 Likes

Well here’s mine, anyway.

I sampled Astro Farm, which was a slightly obscure stop motion show from the 90s. I remember watching it when I was like 6 or 7, and had totally forgotten about it until now.

I sampled the theme tune from this video:

Then I ran the audio through Stemroller (https://github.com/stemrollerapp/stemroller) to get the stems for the vocals and chords, discarding the drums and bass.

I worked mostly in-the-box. All the naughty bass sounds in the second half are from the AnalogFX SER-2020, which I resampled and processed in various ways.

I will probs work on it some more because I think there’s potential for a really good tune there.

6 Likes

Sorry, I was busy on Soundcloud replacing all the names and images to reflect everybody’s track.

If you go to the top of the page it’s reflected on the playlist.

And this is a wonderful opportunity to tell everyone where you pulled your inspiration and what gear you used!

3 Likes

I updated the playlist at the top of the page to reflect who’s track is which.

6 Likes

Nice one mate!

2 Likes

Thanks all and congrats!!! only used ableton and made most of it on the bus to work. I sampled the Catsoup soundtrack. a Japanese animated masterpiece. Used mostly the amen and thinkbreaks. Operator for bass.

6 Likes

That is both unexpected and very gratifying, thank you to all of you who voted for my track, i know it wasn’t the most obvious of cartoon tie ins with the samples being lifted from the star trek animated series but I wanted to stay close to the brief and at the same time true to the drums and the bass…

Production wise it’s all Ableton I’m afraid (sorry gear heads) all the bass parts were split between serum and sylenth, I used a break from a total science pack and some top loops from Abletons stock clips and the rest is chopped amens etc… oh yeah and the pads are omnisphere and the ambiences are the sound of the enterprises deck looped on a pad…

Once again thanks for the votes

9 Likes