Dreadbox Typhon

Just took my Typhon to its first band practice. Into a powered USB hub, also with an IPad and RME Babyface running into the PA and an iPad for poly sounds. It was great!

I actually love it in band situation, it fits in the mix so well while also sounding absolutely huge when you want it to

1 Like

Exactly. It was somehow brighter but less piercing than the iPad synths I was using before.

1 Like

I’m getting closer.
I now have the Typhon connected to the iPad using a powered hub, fed buy a power bank.
I can now send Midi from AUM to the Typhon and I get audio back.
The only remaining problem is the fact that the IPad apparently only supports one interface at a time. When I plug in my headphones, it ejects the Typhon and uses those as an input.
So I still can’t use the Typhon in conjunction with other ios soft synths or drum machines.

*Edit: wired headphones don’t work, but my bluetooth cans do work. So now I’m finally set up for some couch jamming with the Typhon during the holidays.

1 Like

Great! I’m using AUM also and was able to configure the Typhon as my input and my RME Babyface as the output. And it’s the first 11" iPad Pro, so not this year’s model (though I am running the latest iOS).

Enjoy!

The 3.3.1 Preset Manager doesn’t work anymore with my Typhon. It is at firmware 4.1. Am I the only one? Is there supposed to be a new preset manager for the newest firmware? Can only find 3.3.1…

I love how versatile this synth is. On this track Typhon does bass, leads, fx, sweeps… basically anything that’s not polyphonic or a drum. All these sounds took very little thought.

9 Likes

Cool. What are you using to sequence and record your Typhon? I assume you’re doing it 1 track at a time?

1 Like

like all the ideas in track. very good sounding.
but maybe next time separate them and focus on one or two ideas and keep the others and make another track.
i think that way both tracks would be great and too overcomplicated

This was a treat. Very nice. Would also like to know how this was sequenced. Superb track. A lot of work involved . . . .

Sequencing wasn’t all that interesting really. Did some scenes in ableton and routed MIDI out to typhon. Pressed record and messed around for 10 minutes or so, then tediously listened back to it and cut out the best bits.

The FX were sequenced in typhon, but then once again… 10-15 minutes of recorded tweaks then snip-snip.

Sounds like my cousin’s bris ceremony.

3 Likes

Or the line before that - cutting out the best bits - that shows pure genius if removing the best bits still makes something good!

Hello, I have a question for the typhoon owners. It is complaining at a high level. But does your synthesizer beep quietly when it is on. I do not mean the audio outputs. The device itself. I hear fine. It may be that you have to get your ear a little closer to the device. I would be reassured if it is the same for you. :sweat_smile:

Can the Typhon do bass sounds similar to Sh101, juno, Mono Lancet 15 etc? Most demos are more ambient sounds with lots of fx layered

Yes it is in the display. I sent it back for repair, but they were not able to fix it unfortunately. Did dit reduce it a little bit though.

Yes, I think it can sound very much like a SH-101

Thanks, I actually just found some demos that I liked. Really tempted for the price.

But I was more after a synth that had a bit more knobs per function like Sh01A.

I will have to decide lol

Ok thanks. I thought so already. The display hums slightly and it is not a defect but probably standard. :roll_eyes: How did you reduce it?

Dreadbox reduced it.

You might want to contact dreadbox if it bothers you

1 Like