Dreadbox Typhon

Is it connected via a wall wart or computer/USB hub? I’ve found this makes a big difference, since I get a lot of interference when mine isn’t directly connected to mains. But I suspect you’ve already considered that…

Good luck!

3 Likes

I noticed firmware 4 was no longer available from the Dreadbox site. Anyone know what happened ?

Replaced by 4.1 ? I’ll have to check it out because v4 was crashing Logic a few days ago…

Last week the firmware was not on the Support / Downloads folder, but I found it onnthe main Typhon page. Just checked and its in the Typhon main product page as well as in the support tab.

1 Like

It’s 4.1 as of the stable public release, and it’s on the Typhon product page:

https://www.dreadbox-fx.com/typhon/

2 Likes

V4 and v4.1 are on there right now.

Thank you guys @hallucigenia and @HisNameIsAlive
Typhon is connected in a USB hub with other machines with the original cable and everything else in
the same power supply. Anyway never had any problem. I’ll try to open and clean. I’ll tell you then what I did.
Keep on jamming

Just FYI, I’ve noticed that with the latest firmware updates to fix some audio issues, some of the behavior around noise has changed (on mine). I would try connecting directly to the outlet to see if that fixes it–at least that would save you disassembling it. I can’t use mine with a USB hub connected to my computer without unacceptable interference.

1 Like

I have the synth since June , never had any noise. But I can’t update the firmware because I have an old laptop with windows Xp.
Now I tried to connect it directly to the power and I still have the noise,. All the other knobs they work in perfection. Inevitably I have to open it .:worried:
Thanks again man

1 Like

Crap. I hope you get it sorted!

1 Like

Huh? You don’t have to open anything. Try some Deoxit D5 first.

1 Like

I cannot believe how crummy the documentation is.
Firmware 4.1 is on the same page as the user manual for firmware 3, the upate instructions PDF does not correspond with the actual process etc.
Dreadbox could use some help with document management.

Umm…

2 Likes

Meh… they’re a small operation that hand makes their synths. Just as long as I get a banging synth experience, I don’t really care about the documentation. But that’s just me - I realize a lot of people like reading the manual.

7 Likes

Thanks but that’s not the manual. Those are just the update instructions. Which do not correspond with the actual process.

No biggie, but document management happens to be my pet peeve.

Fair enough. They definitely bungled the update instructions.

Proudly new owner of a Typhon here. I watched some reviews, listen to some demo, and read the manual, even dreadbox doesn’t encourage to do so :slight_smile: Tremendous sound, tremendous sonic palette, easy to use, different sound design approach, versatile programming, tremendous effects, and so easy and well layout. I’m in love with this little gem and can’t understand people saying about it being menu diving. A Yamaha Rm1x or a RY30 are menu diving. Typhon is glory.

16 Likes

Also loving mine. Today I reproduced a granular patch from another synth by using very fast LFOs, the pitch shifter, and of course, the reverb. And it sounds better.

1 Like

it’s been so easy to make this synth sound good. it was cheap enough i didn’t do much research before buying and kinda got it on a whim but it’s blown me away. so much so that i’m interested in other dreadbox gear like the nyx and erebus. anyone have both the typhon and one of those? interested in the sonic overlap

2 Likes

Is anybody using the typhon mobile with an iPad ?

The Typhon takes USB power but the iPad cannot power it. Using the camera connection kit’s extra power connection doesn’t work either.
I could power the Typhon using a power bank and connect the iPad to the DIn midi port but I would lose abilty to route sound into the iPad.

This may be a long shot but would there be any way to power the Typhon on the same USB bus as the iPad ? Perhaps a powered USB hub ?

Any ideas are welcome.