Dreadbox Typhon

Yes, I think it can sound very much like a SH-101

Thanks, I actually just found some demos that I liked. Really tempted for the price.

But I was more after a synth that had a bit more knobs per function like Sh01A.

I will have to decide lol

Ok thanks. I thought so already. The display hums slightly and it is not a defect but probably standard. :roll_eyes: How did you reduce it?

Dreadbox reduced it.

You might want to contact dreadbox if it bothers you

1 Like

perhaps not having a display on their more recent synth was a good idea.

2 Likes

I find the Typhon interface quite clever and performance-friendly considering how feature-packed it is.

6 Likes

I use the separate preset manager available on their website, and it’s working fine with 4.1 though it’s labelled 3.1.1: Dropbox - Typhon Preset manager MacOS.zip - Simplify your life

1 Like

Hello,
does anyone know how to register automations in Logic x?
I am using version 4.1 (audio + Midi).
Thank you :slight_smile:

Typhon doesn’t send midi cc (yet?), only recognizes cc

1 Like

Correct — After contacting Dreadbox in this regard, they replied with:

“This is not activated yet, and we will work on it on a future update!”

Good news . . .

3 Likes

Nice!

Honestly, this sort of surprises me. I assumed after 4.1, they’d be done with updating the Typhon and move onto something new (like focusing on Nymphes), but it’s awesome that they keep adding features and new functionality to it so long after its release. Well, actually, it hasn’t even been 2 years, so I guess Typhon is still pretty “new” in that regard. Didn’t it come out in June of 2020?

1 Like

Not at all, it’s pretty much a completion mainly, CC-wise, and will allow editors to make sense once it’s accomplished.

I mean, I’m all for it. But we’re on version 4 of the firmware and going into year 2 as of this June, so it clearly hasn’t been a highly requested feature.

I am looking for an fx box. Been eyeing the Doctor A and the Microcosm, but the first one isn’t available anymore and the second one costs 600 euro incl shipping and taxes.

Want to use it for reverb/delay combo’s mostly, for drones/ambient. All modulation is a plus. Mostly will use it with Erica Bassline, Cycles and AR MKII.

So, is the Typhon a good alternative? Love the idea of a synth as a bonus too, of course.

I mean, first and foremost Typhon is an incredible monosynth in its own right (effects slots notwithstanding, but they do add tremendous value to it). That said, in order to use Typhon as a standalone effects unit, you do have to open up the filter and vca on Typhon, so it does affect the sound of the actual synth if you plan on using them at the same time. But as a standalone effects unit, aside from that - it’s an incredible deal.

3 Likes

I have both the Typhon and the Doctor A and I do like the Doctor A more than both the delay and reverb on the Typhon. The fx of the Typhon are really good and it’s great that they are built in and modulatable. But the delay time (synced) doesn’t have dotted options (yet?) and the reverb sounds good but a bit basic imo. The Doctor A has a wonderfully lush modulated reverb and dotted sync options, although no dotted 4th…

However, the Typhon has a lot more great sounding fx to offer, like distortion types, phaser, chorus and ensemble. I love those all!

1 Like

Typhon let you chose delay OR reverb in fx slot3. You can’t run them both at the same time

1 Like

That’s definately a big no-no then. Thx.

1 Like

@Hooger: if you want an FX-box plus synth maybe consider the MOD FX (duo). Its fully programmable and very versatile.