Dreadbox NYX - Analog Paraphonic Semi Modular Synthesizer

Okay, i figure that both oscs are being sequenced separately, but maybe im wrong here…
is this sort of arpegggiated effect possible using the lfo modes on the modulators?
The author of the video says that “only a little bit of stereo delay for the headphones” but this seems pretty drenched in delay.
thoughts?
The sounds in this video made me really want to acquire a Nyx.

1 Like

Yeah, that video is awesome. If you are looking for an analog mono (duophonic actually) the Nyx is a killer option.

Thank you for your kind words!

The NYX is a paraphonic synth. So if you send two notes through, the lower note will be picked up by OSC1 and the higher note by OSC2. So you could sequence this on a single track if that track allows for at least 2-note polyphony.

I’d use an arpeggiator for that. If I’m hearing it correctly, it’s in Bb Major. Bassline seems to be something along the lines of Bb - G - Eb - F - Bb - Eb. Topline goes something like D - Bb(-1) - F - Bb(+1) - A - Bb(+1)

I don’t really hear much modulation in this one. They seem to be playing with the filter cutoff at times, very low resonance to no resonance, but it sounds like it’s done by hand, at least to my ears.

From 5:27 onward it sounds like they made the attack of the amp envelope even faster (rise fader all the way down?), which should give it that percussive, plucky quality at the beginning of the sound.

LOTS of delay on there!

2 Likes

Cool patch I came upon.
PW is being modulated by Hades Lfo on a pretty slow/moderate rate.
I believe osc2 was detuned down a fifth

3 Likes

…uargh…reading all this, i start to miss my nyx…a truu greece goddess of the night…
loved it soooo much…at first…but lost touch after a year…shame on me…

2 Likes

I feel you. I miss mine while I’m at work.

1 Like