Dreadbox Medusa

I’m in. No Prophet 6 or Peak for me; I want this in my life instead. As soon as pricing has been set, I should be first in line for preorders with a vendor I like to use.

2 Likes

Damn, this is incredible !
I really want one for sure.
The combinaison of sequencer, dig oscs, the form factor , the sound, the pad etc i mean wow .

1 Like

I dunno, the controller aspects of it look fun, but the sound doesn’t really have that wow factor for me given the price this thing will likely cost.

Yeah I agree but only heard two videos, one with lots of background noise so will give it a chance!

1 Like

€999,-

1 Like

I definitely like what I hear from that Bonedo demo video. I really want to hear more FM though.

Check out the other demo - the “no talking” guy seems to emphasize the Dreadbox oscillators more.

Demo #1 guy is with Polyend, so of course he wants to feature Polyend’s wavetable oscs isntead :wink:

Bit disappointed that the grid doesn’t use multi-color LEDs.

I too appreciate multi-color lit pads, but it seems to be the #1 thing people like to complain about (i.e. Toraiz SP-16, TR-8S) because they don’t like rainbows or something.

Aesthetics aside, it’s really nice when they’re used to show you where notes are, and they also make a lot of sense to show you which steps have trigscand which ones don’t.

With x, y, and z axis sensitivity, this thing should theoretically be as expressive as a LinnStrument (maybe not as responsive), but the lack of colored LEDs make that you’re lacking all the feedback you’d want for playing more intricate parts.

Yeah, I agree. The Synthstrom Deluge makes clever usage of different color lit pads that really enhances the workflow. People with adverse feelings to “too many” colors when it comes to lit pads always make me scratch my head.

Doesn’t look like you can do note-to-note slides like you can on Linnstrument, but I could live with that.

Oh yeah, that’s also missing. Even though it’s really cool to be able to do that occasionally, I don’t find myself using that often.

No - it’s the no-talking demo I didn’t really take to.

1 Like

Fair enough.

When I was looking up the Abyss, I found a demo that managed to make it sound awful, compared to Gaz’s demo.

1 Like

In the polyend demo he said the wavetables weren’t onboard yet

I missed that bit.

Seems like there’s no onboard FX. I wonder how much that has to do with “Dreadboxness”. I have to admit my love for the Abyss and Erebus sound has been influenced, at least in part, by the built-in delay in both units, and the Abyss’s phaser.

1 Like

Really like the concept and design but those demos don’t sound great.
In its defence its just been boring old analog so far though, so the real test will be hearing those wavetables when they are implemented, and hearing a proper demo of its FM capabilities of both the osc and filter.
The jury is still out

2 Likes

That’s what I like about Dreadbox stuff - yeah, most of it is analog, but there’s something about how they do it that holds my interest more than Moog clones and the like.

Cheeky how they are running the synth through a Bigsky in the demos.
Let’s hear it dry. Cmon it shouldn’t need to be drenched in reverb :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: