Dreadbox Medusa

Heh, got me to rewatch the Sonic State video.

I have to admit Bonedo’s demos are not particularly good, digital oscs or absence thereof aside.

The really bad Abyss demo though was some aging prog rocker running through all his keyboard licks.

2 Likes

instant buy here too, just looks so fun, beautiful, and useful.

This sounds marvellous and the UI is really well thought out on the right side. And aftertouch with grid is great! But I cannot figure out from the videos how you’d enter notes for the sequencer? I just saw how to jam and live-record notes for the grid.

You enter them step-by-step 101-style.

If this has the classic Dreadbox sound and the digital side is good enough I don’t think I’ll be able to resist.

Waiting for some proper demos.

It would be nice to be able to use the grid as a 8x8 modulation matrix like on the matrixbrute. Or just to assign env/LFO directly to 64 possible destinations. It would be much faster than scrolling on the small display to find the right destination.

Tried this at Superbooth and I found it to be very interesting :slight_smile: Love the combination of the Pads where you can assign any parameter changes of the analog synth.

8 Likes

Yeah… it’s almost like you can “lock” a “sound” to a “trig” :joy:

1 Like

And then manually play those trigs!

1 Like

No it’s different the pads are touch sensitive and have x and y axes

1 Like

Haha yeah I was just having a laugh :smiley: but it’s a legitimately good idea, perhaps there could be some future “trig play” mode on elektron machines…?

1 Like

I love dreadbox, and have been eyeballin the Medusa since the first pictures leaked, but did anyone else watch the poly end guy demo it, and thought it sounded reaaaally dull and lifeless? Demos are seldom of justice to the product, but still!

1 Like

Maybe he was just showing off “their own” digital side of the synth? The digital oscs and so on

Yeah I found the presentation and sound a bit disappointing… I’m sure that once Sonicstate reviews it or we get some proper demos from other users the excitement will be back :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, there are others who had the same reaction, and even the same speculation about the digital oscillators.

However, somebody who thoroughly reviewed the video noted that the digital oscillators are not operational yet (no wavetables loaded), and also noticed they were using a BigSky. I’d love to bring him with me next time I buy a used car, because he seems like the type to zero in on everything that could possibly be wrong with a product - unless that product is Omnisphere, haha

I think the concern about the digital control of the analog components (eg. filters) is legit - always a concern when you impose any digital control, like when you have presets, MIDI sequencer, etc. Nobody ever wants to admit when only 0-127 value resolution is used.

At any rate, these concerns will hopefully be sorted before the Medusa hits production status.

2 Likes

Maybe @Dataline can comment on it’s sound and compare it with the Abyss?

I have not actually played enough with the Medusa to know its sound. Really liked the Pads and Synth combination!

6 Likes

I’m resigned to budgeting for both the Medusa and the Abyss.

Each has its unique set of synthesis capabilities, with the Abyss appearing to be simpler, but having full polyphony and those wonderful FX.

CDM’s article:

CDM seems to think it’s an MPE controller:

1 Like

Figuring that out is the hard part though. So much love for too many things :joy:

1 Like

Mmm…thoroughly reviewed? Only watched it once
It wasnt too hard to understand :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: