Dreadbox Medusa

Haven’t had any issues with oscillator volumes, for what it’s worth.

I’m right handed
I type with BOTH hands
Eat with both hands
Shock horror , using a synth with both hands is easy enough too , especially when you can define the scale of the notes and just mash at the buttons.

I also use my elbows , wrists , shoulders and body to adjust my position. It’s easy for most people.

Hard to pin down, exactly, but it’s a number of small annoyances. To the best of my current (and admittedly limited) understanding, you can’t change the step resolution. The way the sequencer editor works is unintuitive and changes based on whether you’re on note view or grid view. When you’re on grid view and you press one of your steps, you can hear that step BUT you have no visual representation of the notes on that step, or how to change them (compare this to the Circuit, where you press a step and can see the notes at the same time). Just a bunch of small things that mean I can only use it for some types of sequences and not others.

Still, it sounds really great, and it’s hard to beat that price for a 3-osc analogue with a playable surface and beautiful filter.

1 Like

Yeah this is the case on newer units. Asked polyend about it. Dreadbox ships them like that now.

One of the oscs is a different chip or something like that, apparently.

Seq wise

Playback is quite normal ,no weird directions , alternative ping pong modes or probability
Note wise it only had one type of random ( +2 octave ) … would like ± 1 or half octave
No ratcheting from what I can remember.
I think lfo sync on is retriggered by note , I’d like it to just be in sync with tempo
Can’t scroll / move notes in a sequence …only copy and paste
Can’t set start step , only end step

So it’s ok but not going to get quirky / odd stuff without doing it yourself.

Just tested this on my unit, haven’t heard that yet, but indeed osc3 is a bit lower in volume. Checked with all waveforms, osc 3 is always a bit lower.

Oh really, mine is pretty new, so I guess it is one of those with a different chip. Do you know if this has other disadvantages than just the volume…, I might have to check myself. Which forum, do you have a link?

Changing resolution would be good to have, but I did not miss it yet personally.
You can see in the little mid display which note is in the sequence by pressing rec. and the desired pad. If you want to add a step just press the empty pad and dial in a note, also seen on the mid display.
But you can’t see all the notes in one step belonging to a chord note. Pressing pads also shows you the modulation you have on the unit visually (pressing pad and see for example filter type light changing).
Deleting notes and/or parameters is easy, even per step. Finding one certain modulated parameter of many you might have used on the unit to delete can be difficult to find as you do not always know what you did, but in rec mode and pressing clear you can see in the sequencer parameters which notes or/and steps have a modulation when you move for example the attack fader and so on.

Certainly the sequencer has a different approach from the way you have to get used to work with it, but since I knew how capable the sequencer is I really went that way and I am happy I did, because once you accept it the fun starts…, you can modulate on a per step basis almost anything.

Few things I would like to see here is as re5et said, especially nudging/moving notes/sequences, but transposing sequences is also possible.

1 Like

Oh, do you still have that extra set of coloured knobs at hand? I really want them on my new unit.

Yeah I still have a set here look really cool

That’s a really good price. There’s a guy on Reverb in the US selling them for $650 + $35 shipping + state tax, which would come to about 555 GBP and these are open box units priced hundreds of dollars cheaper than everyone else.
He’s sold a few.
Maybe he is just buying them from Juno?

I get tempted sometimes but have to remember I already have great gear that makes great sounds.

1 Like

I have one up for sale/trade if anyone’s interested.
https://www.elektronauts.com/t/us-fs-or-ft-polyend-medusa-lnib/117764

Would you mind selling that extra set? Or you simply want to keep it to get more knob variations on your Medusa?

Message me your address I’ll post them at the weekend for you :+1:

1 Like

Yeah I couldn’t believe the price I got mine for new and sealed… Only had a slight play with it so far but I like it. I need more IKEA furniture to get gear on lol…

1 Like

Sir, you are generous! What a pleasant surprise!

I received my brand new Medusa in last weekend and find out Juno has no coloured knobs included.

What happened to me was that I didn’t realise that my Medusa came with the coloured knobs already in the box as standard and I had already ordered a set from Juno the same day lol so I have the extra set which I will send you this weekend :slight_smile:

Rob

Nice little update here, gotta say I love the minimal look…

Also Medusa v3.0 firmware update available from the site now. The new version brings the following features:

• New random wave for LFOs

• MIDI Local Off as a MIDI config option. Medusa MPE pads can play another instrument, and play the internal synth engine with an external controller simultaneously.

• Both LFOs and envelopes can send out their native values as CC, which can be set up from the MIDI config menu

• Each synth parameter is now displayed with the assigned CC number.

4 Likes

Firmware update is cool. I think the original paint job is more attractive and useful with the markings in the envelope and mixer sections and around the knobs.

1 Like

I Like this limited one more. Also the price is good: 699€

Such a cool machine. I just got a Medusa a few days ago. I haven’t had time to play with it much, but it is truly inspiring. I gotta figure out where to put it - I didn’t realize it was as big as it is!

1 Like

I’m having a problem updating my Medusa to v3.0 I’ve followed the instructions however mine has just been like this for the past 30 minutes, says flashing but no progress in the bar, see pic. Any ideas?
Thanks