Dreadbox Erebus

Cool! I just saw too that a firmware update was just released too.

1 Like

Oh hell, why did I watch that Sonic state video? The V3 seems like a lot of synth for the price, and sounds wonderful.

4 Likes

The desktop analogue semi-modular market at roughly Ā£400 - Ā£500 is getting quite competitive these days but watching that Sonicstate video and the Erebus makes a really strong case for itself. It sounds absolutely gorgeousā€¦ not that Iā€™m in the market for something like this. But if I wasā€¦

2 Likes

I agree - the v3 looks insane for the price. Damn.

1 Like

extremely cool synth.

1 Like

better late than never.
I was too fast

2 Likes

Between SonicStateā€™s vid and the Andertonsā€™ my GAS is being ignited. All I have to do now is get a job. :wink:

Could be a lot of fun combined with a prebuilt MIDIGal running the dispatcher software, which can be used to combine multiple monosynths and polysynths into one ā€œpolysynthā€. Heard about it from a guy who uses two Abyss units as his 8-voice polysynth. This duophonic bad boy plus Volca FM and Volca Keys could be fun.

1 Like

Just received a v3 and so far itā€™s quite the amazing synth. Really flexible with all the patch points.

The drones you can get out of this thing are massive. Stacking all three oscillators with pulse width mod on 1 and 3 with that supersaw wave. Oooph. You can run the clock into audio rate too and get a 4th square oscillator although not trackable. One of the envelopes is loopable and you can use it as another lfo.

Iā€™m just pretty amazed at how well this thing is designed and how much they jammed into it. Need to really put it through the paces but thumbs up so far.

2 Likes

I believe it does output cv and gate from midi input. Havenā€™t tested this extensively. It doesnā€™t translate midi clock to the clock rate or lfo unfortunately but it does except mod input. Need to experiment more with that.

Dreadbox erebus v2: acid bass line
Dreadbox erebus v3: Lead acid line
kick: tr-8
Kick subbass: Volca kick
drums: tr8 and tr 09
reverb: eventide space
OB-6: background chord
Tanzbar 2: voice sample

tascam model 24 mixer and recording

1 Like

hardware used

Dreadbox erebus v3: stab

OB-6: background keys
Prophet 6 : background chord

3 Likes

Prophet 6 : background rhythm chord

1 Like

Video focusing on the Triple Ring

I ended up getting an Erebus v3. I am super happy with it so far. It sounds great at every damn setting.

I wish the patch bay was a bit more inspiring and useful though. Itā€™s a bit bizarre to be honest. And more midi functionality wouldnā€™t hurt. But I knew about that beforehand and it still sounds great so I canā€™t complain.

Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll end up with a nyx as well some day in the future.

1 Like

Iā€˜m waking up this thread to share my customer experience with Dreadbox:

I had a 4-year old Dreadbox Erebus (v2) malfunction suddenly (I suspect a power surge). I wrote the Dreadbox Support team and explained the issue to them while asking them kindly if they would consider fixing my box for a fee.

They wrote back a day later and asked for a video of the issue. So I sent one to them. Shortly after they got back to me and told me that Iā€˜d have to send the synth in and theyā€˜d fix it for me.

Today I received my synth back in the mail and the thing works as new and sounds as phenomenal as I remember.

What is more, Dreadbox did not charge me for the repair or the return shippingā€¦which I find INCREDIBLY generous of them!

I feel this deserves explicit kudos, as I find this sort of service and generosity extremely rare nowadays.

So, support Dreadbox people, I myself will def continue to do so :slight_smile:

38 Likes

Wow, kudos to them! And to you for taking the time to report :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve had a few great experiences with Dreadbox too. Even when I contacted them about a Medusa issue they promptly and politely let me know that Polyend was in charge of support for the synth.

On a side note, Polyend was also very cool and helpful. They kindly replaced my first Medusa even though I bought it used and it was no longer under warranty. I definitely wasnā€™t expecting that!

On a 2nd side note, I just received a Erebus v3 and Iā€™m loving it alongside my Medusa, Nyx v2 and Typhon. Abyss was my 1st DB synth and I traded it like a chump.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve long wanted an abyss. I had a nyx 2 and let it go for some reason, but recently got a erebus 2 and the tone is amazing. Big low end too.

1 Like

Just noticed that Signal Sounds in the UK has two Dreadbox Erebus v3 - theyā€™re discontinued and I havenā€™t seen them stocked anywhere for a while. Thought Iā€™d mention in case anyone was interestedā€¦

3 Likes

Not sure if everyoneā€™s seen the kits already, they were shown at Superbooth so not hot off the press, but theyā€™re available to buy next month!

Iā€™m probably getting an Erebus but the Hades sound demos have always floored me itā€™s so damn juicy - I fear I might buy both if the price is as good as hinted.

I had an Erebus v3 for a while and ended up selling it, but have always kind of regretted it, great synths. I plan to mount mine in the eurorack, replacing my current dual osc voice.

4 Likes