Dreadbox - New analog synth - Nyx V2

Get all three!

Seriously though, they all sound great (I know this is subjective). I have a Nyx V1 and Typhon. Would love to get an Erebus too but I have a serious Eurorack habit to support. If I was just dipping my toe into the Dreadbox universe, I’d probably start out with a Typhon and go from there. That said, with a bit of searching, you might find a used Erubus V1/V2 or Nyx V1 for a similar price.

2 Likes

I have an Erebus V2. It’s such a simple synth but the oscillators and filter just sound so good. The paraphonic mode is really nice to play with a keyboard. I would like to pick up a Nyx v1 sometime as it can be polychained with the V2 Erebus.
You can’t really go wrong with a Dreadbox synth. They really make filters and oscillators like no one else (for the price).

I am a fan!

3 Likes

The Typhon seems very cool indeed. I’ve got an 0-Coast and it’s my first and only semi modular. I love the modular aspect of it and the idea now is to get something that sounds great on its own but also expands the modular capabilities(it’s just a matter of time before I go down the eurorack rabbit hole). I’m not sure how well that will work in practice. Perhaps I’ll get the Nyx or Erebus but never use them together with the 0-Coast in that capacity but I like the idea of it and an 0-Ctrl is also on my list so anything that works with that is going to be a plus for me… Another one I’ve considered is the Neutron, but I think the Dreadbox synths sound better.

On the other hand if the Typhon gets really good midi support then that could potentially be a lot smoother to work with and I think it sounds amazing - going by youtube demos alone maybe even better than what I’ve heard from the other two. So I’m still torn. My heart is saying Erebus or Nyx, but my wallet and brain is saying Typhon.

can’t go wrong with either. The Erebus (v2) is a bass and leads machine. Super fat oscillators and an awesome filter. The delay is cool too. The NYX (v1) is - as Nick Bates called it - a Blade Runner machine. The oscillators don’t sound as fat as the Erebus’ on their own, but the filter, modulation options and the sick reverb on it make it amazing for pads, sfx, atmospheric stuff. The Typhon I don’t own (yet! :)) so can’t compare.

2 Likes

What differentiates the Typhon for me right now (I have an Erebus v2 and a Nyx v1) is the sequencer and FX and how they work together in one unit. While both the Erebus and Nyx have integrated their own delay and reverb respectively and fantastically, the Typhon offers so much more.

What the others do have, however, is CV control, which the Typhon lacks, but makes up for with the CC options over MIDI, something wholly absent form the Erebus and Nyx. This isn’t anything I miss on the latter two - I don’t think I’ve used MIDI with them more than a few times, if that, though it’s possible to route incoming MIDI to the dedicated gate, CV and modwheel jacks.

2 Likes

Comparing Typhon and Nyx, can you get somewhat of the same sounds out the Typhon as the Nyx? Got a Nyx v2 but I like the form factor of the Typhon and the onboard effects. Also, have you tried any cv to midi cc modulation on the Typhon from your rack?

1 Like

I haven’t done a proper side-by-side comparison but based on my brief time with Typhon, I’d say it definitely has its own distinct character. I’m sure it would be possible to get to similar sonic territory with the Nyx but my initial impressions are that their differences outnumber their similarities.

Not yet but I plan to do some CV to MIDI experiments, just as soon as time allows.

maybe a good point here to join the conversation with a little bit off topic trouble shooting…

…anybody here who could tell me why my nyx1 filter is affecting/changing the pitch of both osc’s…nowadays…!?

was never happening before…no patching involved…naked settings…but fuk, filter detunes no matter what…hmmmpf…

If you post a photo of your settings, I’ll see if I can reproduce it on my V1.

…thanx for response…but, as said…naked default settings…nothing patched…
tried all possible settings also…single, split, odd…u name it…all results in the same twist…

and filter settings were defenitly not alter pitch/tune the osc’s the two years before…???
i’m afraid my beloved blade runner machine has left the building…

if no one comes up with an easy to be overseen trick i’m not aware of, i thinks this needs to fixed hardware wise…

Sorry, I’m not exactly sure what would be considered to be the default settings but if you’ve tried adjusting routings etc without success then yes, it’s possible the synth needs servicing. I assume you have the resonance slider at its minimum value?

Get in touch with dreadbox.
My nyx 1 had a tuning issue and they fixed it but it was a hardware issue. I can’t recall if it was due to filter.

2 Likes

They quitely dropped a sizable firmware update recently. Tuning procedures and accuracy improved, among other things.

https://www.dreadbox-fx.com/nyx2/

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Dreadbox Erebus

So is anyone using this with the newer firmware? It’s known for drones but the updates makes it seem like it should be better now for percussive sounds.

Considering getting one to be sequenced by an OT for DFAM style sounds (but with MIDI and probability!)

Thoughts?

I have a Nyx V2 which I updated to the newest firmware about a week after I received it. The envelopes are definitely fast enough for percussion sounds. I recently patched up a nice 808-ish kick drum sound, and I’ve also created some cymbal/hat-like sounds using the noise source. For the last week I’ve been experimenting with running my Bastl Kastle Drum through it.

It’s also a very capable bass machine, despite what some people here seem to think.

2 Likes

I’m so curious about this. I love the Typhon so much. Only other dreadbox I played was a Medusa and felt so so about the sound. One is up for sale locally and I’m wondering if it’s worth trying…

Anyone have a nyx 2 could tell me-

I just got one second hand. When I play a note, the led light on osc two lights up. Under the glide slider. Nothing for osc one even tho I hear it.

Does anyone else’s nyx 2 only light up under the osc two glide?

I believe that there is only one bright trigger LED inside (just to the left of the OSC 2 Tune knob), so most of my trigger glow emerges from the left side of OSC 2 Tune knob and from the Osc 2 Glide slot. Sounds normal to me!

1 Like

Really appreciate the response! Thank you!!