Does your spouse not find your jokes funny, too?

Ahh, that’s sweet

Anything less than a grand opus and i’d say you’re wasting your talent

1 Like
2 Likes

Well, maybe in the meantime I could use this thread to practice some new material…

Knock knock.

Who’s there?

Significant other.

Significant other, who?

Significant other who increasingly feeling insignificant and never manages to make you laugh.

Oh.

a woman goes to get a new tattoo. tells the tattooist “i’d like a butterfly please, on my arse”.

the tattooist says “well…i’m not very good at butterflies. but i can do you a couple of bees if you want?”

she agrees. her husband gets home later, and she shows off her new tattoos.

“very nice”, he says, “but who’s Bob?”

1 Like

Hang on a second, is this an elaborate ruse to get a dedicated wife jokes thread going?? :thinking:

Please submit them here instead: Music memes

i’m sorry i’m trying to delete it

Repeating a joke that is obviously bombing is also a great strategy.

It just makes everything so much better. :rofl:

3 Likes

You don’t need to alter yourself. I wouldn’t internalize someone else’s reaction especially when you don’t know the source of the reaction. It’s a never ending list of alterations and you’ll be mad at yourself in the end.

I doubt your humor is the source of the problem. It’s a visible symptom, but not the source.

Making relationships work can require sacrifice, but its something that you should be going through together so you can weigh those sacrifices against a known benefit. Does that benefit exist here? It’s important to identify that for you because I’ve known many people who talk about what they sacrificed for the other person… but ultimately that other person had no idea anything was sacrificed.

Anyway, humor is great in difficult times but you should have a deeper conversation that has nothing to do with the topic of humor.
Have you both talked about the next steps (engagement, marriage, children, finances or financial growth), or even discussed getaways together like traveling? Something is likely missing and it’d be good to discuss what it is. Guessing is endless, so just talk.

2 Likes

Wow I wasn’t expecting a " La cité de la peur " reference on this forum :grinning:. Next step you have to watch “Rrrrr” or “La Stratégie de l’échec” :joy:

2 Likes

No need for details and no judgment.

It’s just my experience that when there’s resentment towards one partner, there’s usually resentment towards the other? It could be so many things. It could even be as small as not picking up as much. It could be a simple fix, but I don’t think you’ll get the answer bouncing ideas off of any of us. I don’t mean that in a negative way, but only hope you both communicate enough to figure out something healthy for both of you.

3 Likes

You’d make a good therapist if you aren’t one… yes, I’m certain she resents me although she’d never say as much. Resentment, seems like an elephant in the room for a lot of relationships, which is very not fun or funny.

I do not. However, I often say, as a euphemism for taking a shit, “Well, I’m off to fax Cleveland.” Not sure where that came from, really, but there it is.
Always good for a laugh, too.

1 Like

People “discovering” the singular they exists after hundreds of years of common usage by native speakers of the English language, and throughout their very lives learning it, understanding context in speech and writing but never had a problem until the last few years?

How odd! ( ರ_•́)

8 Likes

Hey OP, just wanted to use the internet to let you know that I didn’t laugh at your joke either, so it’s not just your wife. Hopefully you can sleep more soundly tonight.

6 Likes

I sleep like a baby but thanks anyways…

My wife will generally only admit she thinks I’m funny after she’s had a few drinks (and then only to others, not me). The rest of the time it’s steadfast denial but I regularly catch her in laugh suppression mode. I can be pretty funny, but you have to mine a lot of shit to get the gold and that’s probably a bit tiring for the poor old partner. She also has a very different sense of humour, whenever I do crack her up I barely know how I’ve done it.

2 Likes

When my jokes fall flat - I don’t apologize or feel too bad about that… I just try moving forward from there, without explaining myself or questioning it all too much. If I get side-eye I just smile and shrug off my own absurdity.

People only laugh out loud when something resonates with them enough for that to happen. Laughter is not unlike surrendering control over the body. The joke has to be truly funny to its receiver for it to get that genuine response. It shouldn’t beg someone to: “please insert laugh here”.

I believe that everyone has some sense of humor, but also - nobody is the exact same way as anyone else. Communication is filled with plenty of subtleties and some concepts very well may be lost when there are cultural or linguistic differences. Know your audience well.

1 Like

Now now, silly jokes aside let’s not turn this into a dudebro forum plz.

6 Likes

The kids laugh at the material that my spouse doesn’t. Bases covered.

3 Likes