Does your spouse not find your jokes funny, too?

I’m not claiming to be Bobcat Goldthwait or anything, but I do seem to get laughs out of people who aren’t my spouse, but my girlfriend rarely gets a chuckle out of anything I say. For example: A few weeks ago we went to see Kali Malone (who composes and performs music on the pipe organ) and while we were waiting outside of the venue (a church) with a bunch of nerdy looking dudes and some older folks I loudly commented to her “this looks like the same crowd as when we went to see Metallica!” she didn’t even crack a smile but this lady in front of us who looked in her 70s laughed loudly and said “that was really funny” to which my partner rolled her eyes. They say laughter is the best medicine but my jokes don’t even give her some sort of placebo effect if anything I feel like they are giving her agita…

2 Likes

my gf is, i think, pretty seriously neurodivergent so she rarely laughs at my consistently excellent jokes, unless they are puns, or involve slapstick. i’m wasted on her

8 Likes

also this was a good joke and i respect you for it

2 Likes

I appreciate you saying that as sometimes I think it’s me :expressionless:

2 Likes

is she laughing when other people make jokes? or has she been laughing at your jokes in the past?

2 Likes

this is an important question. you might want to consider hiring a private investigator to see if she is laughing at other peoples’ jokes when you’re not around

15 Likes

that “business trip” she went on? lies. she was fraternizing with clowns and funnymen

9 Likes

she is definetly planning something. you should start tickle her feet and ask questions.

2 Likes

Well, she avoids comedy in general but did introduce me Tropic Thunder but I don’t witness her laughing much which makes me sad… I wonder if it’s somewhat cultural as she’s French, my last serious ex was Austrian and she had a different sense of humor and didn’t really get my sarcasm. I did get a laugh out of my spouse the other day… she was laying doing some yoga stretch in a room here with the lights off and I walked in and said “omg, did you fall down and can’t get up?!” or something similar, I was rather shocked in the moment that she started laughing at that.

1 Like

…hmmm…if ur partner and u can’t laugh together, it’s a clear sign that love is on decline…

while i have to admit…based on that situation with the metallica punchline, would have made me rolling my eyes, too…there’s a difference between funny and wannabe funny…
and since she’s ur partner, she might be just tired of too many too obvious punchlines dropped to often with clear intension to be funny again…especially if u confirm ur own level of “funny by nature” by the fact that “even” that old lady in front of the church had a good laugh, u mentioning metallica…i mean sure…if that’s not hard proof, what a humorous guy u are, what else could be…

1 Like

france is the spiritual home of clowning! try more slapstick, and perhaps experiment with some light consensual miming

4 Likes

word

1 Like

Soooo neither your girlfriend nor your spouse laughs at your jokes?

11 Likes

Trying to be an entertainer for your spouse is never a good idea. Either there is that connection or not.

6 Likes

I noticed something similar with a girlfriend I had – realized I also didn’t really laugh at her jokes in a similar manner.

Well, people use spouse or partner now as a replacement for a long term girlfriend or boyfriend and I’m just trying to stay relevant.

I don’t disagree but I am not trying to implicitly entertain her. Joking around to me is one way I express myself and relieve stress (like when waiting to see an hour of pipe organ music).

3 Likes

Spouse is traditionally defined as legally married. I mean, mayyybe people have appropriated it to define a long-lasting, significant life partnership…but then girlfriend kind of negates the whole thing, no? Partner is a good catch-all.

Anyway. If laughter in a relationship is important to you, and she is more agitated by your jokes than amused, it might just end up creating and building resentment over the long term.

2 Likes

Sure. I’m a clown too and understand what you mean. Still, it seems to bug you and ppl sense these things in relationships. If she rolls her eyes when others laugh at your jokes, and doesn’t laugh at your jokes unless it’s about her or you catch her off guard, that sounds pretty bad.

Just my two cents.

2 Likes

Maybe the same for me, I laugh the more on jokes the more they catch me off guard.

However, I wonder what it means if spouse of OT rolls her eyes and why OT never asked her.

1 Like