Display issues : Lines of pixels not as bright as the rest?

I would return this in a heartbeat. This is unacceptable. I’m exchanging mine for less than this.

That is definitely not normal. The vertical black bar looks like a hardware issue. If you haven’t already, you should probably contact elektron support for resolution.

This is not normal. Return it.

I can’t believe Elektron calls these issues “normal”. :sob:

It is always suspicious to me when a company’s support says “it’s normal” for a thing that is suspicious to customers not to be normal :slight_smile:

If OLED was unstable technology so that such ghost pixel things should be counted as normal it hardly would be so popular in other tech industries where the display is more important, I think (like mobiles). But that’s my layman take :slight_smile:

Mine is like that too / line moves when you change the envelope - just out of the box - disappointing

Seeing that the Oled screen was one of their selling points -‘the beautiful’ oled screen and all that. Getting more pissed off the more I look at it - wonder if the OT2 has the same problem?

Yes it does. At least mine does. I got it today and that was the first thing I realized. And I had no idea that the Digitakt also had this problem.

I have this same issue. Mildly annoying…but as long as it doesn’t get worse I dont really care cause I love pretty much everything about this machine.

This is still going?

EDIT* I am referring to the faded line problem if the pixels are blacked out completely, then your screen actually has failed and is faulty and you should and can return it for exchange/repair.

It’s normal, everyone’s will do it, if you pay a bit more attention you will see that the faded line lines up with the sustain level line in the filter/amp section or the lowest line of boxes on the trig page. Move the sustain level on the filter page, WOAH THE LINES MOVING! Go to your source page and there’s no line.
So it’s something to do with the way they’ve coded the graphics, may be fixable, seems to me like it was just too hard to fix so that’s how it is, something to do with the layered nature of the graphics and coding them on oled perhaps.
It’s such a small little faded line, on a tiny area of the screen designated only for track number? It’s really not that big a deal, the screen looks great and when your actually using it it’s really not noticeable at all.

Every machine will do this, and every machine I’ve seen a a friend or youtuber using does exactly the same. Doesn’t bother them and it doesn’t bother me. If a little line is getting in the way of you enjoying this future classic drum machine, by all means return it. Most real world users I know couldn’t be happier.

2 Likes

The diagonal lines are photo artifacts from the refresh rate. Not visible to the eye.

That picture has the faded line clearly marked by a box

Yeah, it’s caused by power management. Each row shares a finite supply, so the more lit pixels, the dimmer the rows overall brightness. Likely not able to be adjusted via firmware

4 Likes

Couldn’t they just make the full screen slightly dimmer so there was enough power for it to be even if it is a power issue?

If that is true, then whoever designed the display should be fired.

I would bet my entire next paycheck that I will walk into a store a year from now and see a Digitakt sitting there with a display (from a new supplier) that does not have this issue, yet we’ll all still be stuck with ours.

I bought Elektron because I was sick of cheap crap (like the “sunken” row of pads on my former Electribe 2, or the uneven keybed on my Microbrute.) The build quality and sound of the Digitakt are incredible, but (for me, at least) this display issue really puts a black mark on an otherwise excellent and inspiring instrument.

I can’t help but thinking about it and getting a little annoyed every time I look at it now. Hopefully that feeling will fade over time, as I get on with actually using the instrument.

1 Like

You dont notice it when you are engrosed but its allways there leaving a slightly bad taste in your mouth, it would probably bother me 90% less if it had been disclosed instead of either misleading customers with a doctored promo picture or worse still using a problem free OLED in full knowledge the quality would put some people off.

thats the price you pay for being an early adopter… which why i stopped doing it many years ago

while it sucks a bit to have to wait for the new hotness - in the end, its almost always worth it and then some…

What they should do is simply invert the SMP # box (so it is just an outline around SMP and the number) and not a solid block of pixels as it is now. That way, the line/ghosting would hardly be noticeable at all.

1 Like

Just so you all know. I received the replacement Digitakt today and it has the same screen imperfection.

:frowning:

bummer :frowning: I guess that I won’t bother returning mine then

It’s these new OLED screens in general. I saw an Octatrack MkII in a local shop over the weekend, and could detect a little of the same ghosting effect in places (but the light gray color of the OLED on that unit made it harder to notice.)

I also don’t really know the OT, so I couldn’t navigate to a screen with an envelope on it to try and reproduce the effect that we see on that page of the Digitakt.