Display issues : Lines of pixels not as bright as the rest?

My DT has some slight ghosting but nowhere near as bad as you describe it. I assume, and that is just my guess, that the displays are more or less all the same, but that there are some variations in the way their brightness is calibrated during DT manufacturing and that these little differences lead to ghosting being a little more or less visible.

I have a line of pixels through the solid yellow track box on the left of the screen that are less illuminated than the other pixels in the box.
The less illuminated yellow pixels are parallel with the position of the Decay line - the longer the Decay line is the less illuminated the pixels are in the track box. I expect it is due to more voltage being used on that horizontal line of pixels the longer the Decay plot is. (If I set Decay to INF then the less illiminated pixels in the track box jump to the top of the box as the Decay line jumps higher on the screen to that horizontal of pixels)

I have seen it on a number of youtube DT videos too.

Seems quite typical. Perhaps there is a software solution in the DT OS to address this, though it might be quite low level in terms of how the firmware of the OLED screen operates.

I will live with it, there isnt another option that works for me.

Its annoying indeed. I try to ignore it now.

This ghosting is normal? Really? I canā€™t think of any other screens I have which do this? Does this mean all units will do it? Not what I expect from a brand new machine (and first bit of Elektron kit). Hmmmm.

2 Likes

Other than that, Iā€™m totally hooked on it!

[/quote]

makes me wonder if this is a similar case when it comes to the Rytm LCD issues

I will reiterate that there is no way that units with that much ghosting or pixel burn-in would pass QC and be sold by my employer (one of the large tech companies in the USA). This sort of problem would probably be detected and remedied during various builds during the product development process. I am in a different market of mass-produced, consumer electronic devices than musical instruments, though. Also we are not using OLEDs at this time. What appears odd to me is that there are lines and not individual pixels that vary in brightness. It almost seems like a trace line conductivity and/or contact issue or a driver issue.

My Digitakt has been shipped by Sweetwater and is supposed to arrive in a few days. We will see.

1 Like

Yes, I can understand that. Since you do not work for Elektron, you cannot speak for their QC. And beyond a certain basic point regarding safety and ecological concerns, the effectiveness/efficiency/aesthetics/etc of OLED (or LCD or LED or CRT for that matter) display calibration is not regulated by government laws or something like that. People have their own variable level of tolerance for certain things, and since businesses are created and run by people, its stands to reason that the standardized systems employed by them are just as variable as the subjectivity in the people from which they originated.

1 Like

I understand and agree. Since I am a display and optics guy by profession I am pretty picky. Honestly, though, if there is significant pixel-to-pixel variation on my Digitakt display then I will probably just tolerate it. The thing is not very expensive really, especially given all the electro-mechanical parts, and as long as the display meets functional requirements I will be okay with it.

There was a time when I worked for a different Fortune 500 company that makes and sells (among many other products) various products in the supply chain for LCD displays. That company performs quite a bit tech service with its customers to maximize the quality of their displays. I tried reaching out to Korg because I thought the touch display on my M3 was awful compared to what was possible to achieve at the time and thought we might help them make a better-looking display. I got as far as a Korg USA guy that does a lot of demos and he told me he would pass the info on to Korg, but I never heard anything. The Kronos displays are significantly better quality in my opinion. I would guess Korg just buys displays from a vendor and sets specs and they were able to set and achieve better specs at target cost for the Kronos line.

1 Like

Yeh, I just got mine from Sweetwater, mine has these horizontal lines as well.

I am not too annoyed at this, but then again, if this is just for these initial batches, then I can live without the Digitakt until they fix it.

I donā€™t think itā€™s an initial batch problem. On another forum someone mentioned itā€™s inherent in this type of OLED.

1 Like

Did you get a response to this?

It doesnā€™t really seem to be a big problem. As LBGW stated itā€™s inherent for the type of oled. Itā€™s not like itā€™s getting worse by time it just depends on the content the screen is showing.

1 Like

Yeah, it looked to me like it was deliberate. I say that because the ā€˜fadedā€™ line was always the sample I was auditioning from the list. Likewise, other fades seemed to relate to a specific screen section or line. Itā€™s constantly changing.

Btw, if Digitakt has this boot menu where you can see if the screen is ok, you can check if all the pixels look the same there. At least the older Analogs have this option. When all the pixels are filled they should probably be all the same color.

2 Likes

I was happy that it wasnā€™t just mine. I donā€™t really notice it any more.

1 Like

I agree.

Arnt other new elektrons have OLED? So the new synths will have dim lines as well?

Sweetwater already told me they will take my Digitakt back.

Are there any owners of Digitakt without dim lines???

Yes thereā€™s this test mode and one of the buttons (canā€™t remember with one) lights up the entire screen.

For me the test screen shows equal color and brightness for all pixels. In normal operation I have the dimmed lines but they move around depending on whatā€™s on the screen.

1 Like

Hello!

I have a problem with my Digitakt. Blank line appears on the sceen:

Did anyone had similar problem? Is it hardware or software issue? My OS is 1.03.

Thank you for help