Disappointed with OT lack of randomness

I can’t believe there’s not a random EDM bangers generation button. And it’s so menu divey I can’t even find the midi pack!!

10 Likes

Yes I have used that. However, I wished it had the feature from the DT where you can set a trig condition for the whole track, not just separate trigs.

I guess this isn’t possible?

1 Like

That’s a bit rude pal.

1 Like

Cheeky.

I’m still getting to grips with the LFO designer, but these tips sound great.

Thank you.

3 Likes

Laughing.

1 Like

This is what I miss.

…sorry if it sounded that way in ur ears… was not my intention…

but hey, give it another try for sure… i’m not aware of any other elektron machine, in which u can get lost in randomness crossing all over as in the ot…

have a closer look to the lfo page…it’s THE monster…
and as mentioned, lot’s of single trig tricks button combos not to find on the digis…
plus scenes and neighbour trix… u’ll end up more than happy for sure… :wink:

so nothing but a plain YES to ur question, if ur missing something…

1 Like

Plain yes is what I hoped.

Thanks pal, take care.

Hehehe that’s good. :slight_smile:
If you want more random to OT you can route the midi out back into midi in and thus have a lot more (24) lfo’s at your disposal.

If I remember correctly those can be assigned to parameters that are not modulatable with the lfo*s on audio tracks, like the crossfader etc.

6 Likes

Yes, crossfader and scene selection can be lfo controlled amongst other stuff. :slight_smile:

Full CC list is in the manual.

A bit of inspiration:

5 Likes

Thank you. This midi loop back thing has always frightened me though!

1 Like

The thread title tiggered some slightly upset answers since your question sounded pretty general. Seems you are looking for one particular feature of the digis, which is not available on the OT. OT is a much older machine that did get most but not all sequencer updates of the later elektrons.

On the other hand, later elektrons lack lot’s of stuff available on the Octatrack. Modulation in particular

4 Likes

Random chance conditional trigs with random LFO set to per trig. Doesn’t get much more random than that.

Throw in live resampling chains ( recording the recording of the recording )

1 Like

That plus a second, purely random LFO both very slightly modulating the delay time AND the filter in the delay can give you a pretty decent tape echo sound (at leas tin the context of a full mix), too, when you’re using it with normal delay settings. LFO depth set just at the point where you don’t hear it unless you pay attention.

2 Likes

i think the problem isnt that it doesnt have randomness, it has plenty of it… but rather structured randomness…

after diving into to eurorack modules like Grids, Chaos, Marbles etc. really show how musical randomess can be and randomness on OT is basically complete chaos.

i think OP-Z really has gotten randomness down, i find it really cool that you can just enter chords and notes on the different tracks and chose a randomness amount and everything will just play out in ket randomly even to the extent that the bass track will follow the chord track.

2 Likes

Try making a MIDI track with a slow multiplier (so maybe 1/4 or 1/8), triggers on every step, low probability for all of them (except the first one, keep that at 100%). Note length set to infinite. Use one LFO to modulate the note and the other two to modulate note 2 and note 3. Keep all of them slow and experiment with a mix of cycical and random LFO shapes. Arpeggiator on, with a key set in the setup page.

Copy that entire track to a second track, change the LFO values slightly, maybe change the base note and arp key to something harmonically related to the first track (relative minor would be an easy one). Change the pattern length to something that will take a lot of cycles to get back in sync with the first track (i.e. 13 steps against 16 or something like that). Play around with custom arp patterns.

Use them both to control one polysynth and you should end up with something random but musically coherent (maybe a bit too musically coherent if anything, since the OT’s scale quantization is a bit on the limited site).

Then if you’re feeling spicy you can patch the polysynth output back in to the Octatrack and start resampling and manipulating it in semi-random ways.

8 Likes

Press more buttons

Reminds me of IDUM // Mystic Circuits

1 Like

Strange idea to think that OT can be considered as too predictable :joy:

2 Likes