Disappointed with OT lack of randomness

Afternoon!

Coming from the DT and the DN, I’m really surprised by the lack of random in the seauencer on OT. Am I missing something?

The OT has conditional triggers, like the DT and DN. The OT however has three LFOs per track. Have you tried those ? You can use those as sample and hold/random modulators to get things even more random.

7 Likes

OT can get really random! DT next, and DN is least random (but has other things to make up for it).

1 Like

You can also live record knob twists to the modulation depth and speed of a random LFO, and LFO other LFO’s (though you lose another parameter which could be modulated by doing so).

& u can set up real-time resampling tracks, re-synthesized & re-sequenced, 3 lfo’s on them too + plocks & crossfader.

OT modulation options are on a whole other level.

3 Likes

You are missing something. The DN and DT have their trig condition on the TRIG page. The Octatrack has the same function, but you need to

1. hold down a trig
  2. press forward or backward on the arrow keys (same way you’d change the microtiming).
  3. move the [LEVEL] knob to set either a probability or a different trig condition.

Have fun!

5 Likes

Only thing I miss on OT from Dx’s is probability per track, but per step is fine I guess.

1 Like

Random is octatrack’s middle name. It has many middle names, but still.

13 Likes

You can press any page + yes to randomize the entire page. Thats very random!

1 Like

Lol. This is a joke right?

6 Likes

I’ts the Elektron „Sound Quality“ Octatrack for me. :grin:

Btw, actually prefer „pseudo randomness“ (in this context, elements that appear random, but are musically related) over how randomization is implemented in most gear.

If there‘s a way to scale the randomness (how random events are distributed for example) or other ways to control it - fine, if not, I‘ll do the hard work making things appear random rather then using the actual randomization features.

OT has 16 lfo designers (8 lfo designer waves for the audio tracks and 8 for midi), don‘t overlook them!

There‘s so much you can do with them!

For example, a pseudo random lfo designers wave can produce amazing tape warbles, wow and flutter stuff. Draw a pseudo random shape in the range -5 to +5, target delay time, lfo depth at 1 or 2.
Short delay time, no feedback, direct vol down (100% wet delay).

Analogs and Digis offer more control over lfos with their sequencers - you can p-lock the lfo retrig param on each step which restarts the lfo, can also be done on trigless trigs that have a trig condition. On OT you can‘t do that.

The trig mode sync trig starts the waveform cycle on step 1 of a track and then keeps going, so that‘s a good way of locking you‘re lfos to the groove.

Free running lfos in hold and free mode can be retrigged manually (briefly change to trig, then back to free or hold to retrig on a particular step).

5 Likes

LFO designer with a random LFO sending to that LFO’s parameters.
Plus conditional trigs.
Plus neighbor routing for more FX

Things can get incredibly random when using these features in concert with one another.

3 Likes

I don‘t get it.

???

1 Like

Setting random lfo to parameters with polyrhythmic scaling…drake smile face

2 Likes

…more lack of clue than lack of randomnass, i guess…

try again…u’ll end up with a mess of randomness…so better don’t get lost…

3 Likes

Agree. It’d be nice to get a random pattern generator, random playback, and sound generation.

1 Like

I can’t believe there’s not a random EDM bangers generation button. And it’s so menu divey I can’t even find the midi pack!!

10 Likes

Yes I have used that. However, I wished it had the feature from the DT where you can set a trig condition for the whole track, not just separate trigs.

I guess this isn’t possible?

1 Like

That’s a bit rude pal.

1 Like

Cheeky.