Direct Jump for digitone, digitakt and octatrack?

Please Elektron…

Rytm and A4 have direct jump and it’s so nice to be able to flip between patterns instantly mid pattern and keep the flow.

Would be great to have on the other machines!

Ironically, I would have thought it was easier to implement on the digital products than the analog ones.

Any likelihood of them getting it?

2 Likes

Can you do it with the MIDI tracks? That would just be program changes, right?

not sure what you mean.

On the rytm,and a4, you can press PTN->A, PTN-B, PTN-A and jump immediately between patterns and continue at the same point in the pattern (not restarting the pattern). It’s brilliant for live “playing”.

I don’t think any program change solution can emulate it.

3 Likes

Yeah, my mistake. For whatever reason, I had it in my head that if you futzed around with the settings there was a way to do this if you’re controlling them externally. But nope

You can do it on digitone, it is in the screen where you choose the bars and division of timing you can set it to cut directly when a new pattern in chosen… I know it’s there because i have done it many times… Or you can tell it to play whole pattern before it switches…
I do wish it wasn’t so hard to setup… Elektron send like everything is hard like that… My opz is so easy in that it will switch at the end or you can switch patterns immediately… Seems like a more logical solution.

but doesn’t that just start the next pattern early from the beginning?
direct jump means it jumps to the next pattern at the current playing position, right?

Really hope they implement this on DT/DN

DT and DN seem to behave like the Octatrack - they start the new pattern at the beginning, not continuing from the same position you were at. The control in the pages screen only determines how quickly they change. So if you have it at PAT it will wait til end of pattern and if you have it on 2 it will wait till end of 2 steps. But it will start the new pattern at the beginning. This means you can easily end up with weird phrasing doing a 4 bar loop and then a 4 step loop unless you very carefully count your steps.

With Rytm and A4, if you are at step 3 on pattern A and you direct jump to B, you go immediately to step 3 in pattern B and continue from there. It’s very cool - you can jump back and forth between patterns with zero quantisation and maintain your phrasing.

1 Like

I had been under the impression it was on the D(x) boxes. That’s too bad. It really is a unique and fun feature.

I wonder if it’s possible to implement? Like is there something about the architecture of the sequencer that makes it impossible? Otherwise I think maybe we can still hope for it. If not for OT, at least for the Digis.

I wondered since it works on the analog ones only, whether it was maybe a latency issue on the digital ones. Having said that, the rytm has digital samples too but it might be something about the audio path.

If it hasn’t been implemented already I don’t expect it will be.

I had no idea any of the boxes could do this. It’s really sad that the Octa and D* devices don’t support this. By far my biggest frustration tied with these boxes loosing their relative position when changing lengths or division on the fly. Changing patterns mid sequence and them picking up relative to where they should be had they been playing all along is one of the most killer live performance moves of all time (in my experience). If you think about it, if you can change patterns on the fly, then you don’t even need fill mode, as patterns can be used the same way - just change the pattern to and fro - hella fun (and then you can accomplish “fill per track” if you set up your patterns in a certain way)

3 Likes

Whoa. Direct jump isn’t on the OT?!?!? Yeah, the first thing i did when i got my A4 is play around with direct jump. It’s awesome. It can be achieved with on the DT and DN…kind of. You have to use copy and paste. Basically, when one pattern is running, you hit “PTN” then the pattern you want to switch to, then “copy”. Now when you paste you will “direct jump” to that pattern. Hit pattern reload or “paste” again to switch back. It’s pretty cool that you can copy one pattern while the other is running. However, Elektron, PLEASE give us direct change on these boxes!!! It would be so rad.

4 Likes

Direct jump is my only Octatrack feature request.

6 Likes

Sweet ! :nerd_face: Works also with paste + undo paste. Great tip :ok_hand:

1 Like

Does the Syntakt have any way of direct jumping ?
It’s also a feature from my old AK that I really miss

1 Like

I really miss this feature too on Digitone and Syntakt. I don’t have a Digitakt but if I did I’d miss it there too.