Digitone Tips and Tricks

I’m thinking of making a tutorial on my favorite performance tricks and made this little video as practice for the real thing:

15 Likes

This thumbnail reminds me codes for executing combos in Tekken 3 or Mortal Kombat when i was a child.
That trick makes me love the OT crossfader even more :wink:

13 Likes

Hi! Tried this combo out and after some poking around found an easier for me way to achieve same effect.

Add Note
FUNC+Transp. Track (right :arrow_right: , jumps one octave)

(its also possible to “que” octave jump if you transpose without FUNC, it waits for a YES input)

Thanks so much for sharing this trick! Makes me wonder, what other ways engine can be exploited for musical intents.

5 Likes

That’s definitely an easier way to do it, and faster. I didn’t know that turning the encoder without pressing FUNC did nothing until you press YES!

1 Like

Here’s the main show :slight_smile:

5 Likes
4 Likes

i just realised you can use voice layering to add noise to drums
while still using that noise track for something else via sound locks :totes:

4 Likes

Worth it for the first tip alone:
To approximate kits on DN/DT/ST, e.g. when you’ve already made a few copies of a pattern and now want to change the same thing in all of them:
Save the project, then copy-paste the updated pattern over all the patterns, then for each of them, do Restore Sequencer from Project. Very clever.

6 Likes

PTN + Track = pattern mute :happy:

i used to only know that you can mute tracks either
1: func + track
2: func + bank -and then- track (enter mute mode twice to get pattern mutes)

this is very good! i often had a hard time performing mutes close to pattern changes, because my mutes would bleed into the next pattern, and i didnt had time to enter pattern mute mode to prevent it. no idea how i missed it in the manual… is it even there?

1 Like

thats wonderful, thank you :clap:

Ello Nauts ! here are the two first YouTube shorts of a series of 10 containing Digitone quick tips taken from the mastering Digitone course.

Here’s how you can create a sawtooth wave.

Here’s how you can create a nice square wave.

Each Saturday a new one of these quick tips will be available on my channel. Enjoy!

19 Likes

Mixing/live tip i discovered for myself recently:

• instead of dialing in volume through track level, use VOL in AMP page.
    this allows you to use global track levels as performance effect.
    (without worrying about coming back to the pattern you changed PVOL in, if its too quiet or too loud now)

if you keep your VOL in reference to track level 100, you can easily do slow volume swells that persist between multiple patterns. :v:

3 Likes

Is there a way to skip to the bottom of the sound list when picking sounds? It’s a bit long to have to hold down [FUNC] + down

sound list is split up by 8 banks, and you can jump to any bank instantly. (BANK + white trigs)
from there it takes a second or two to go to the bottom of the list.

another tip is to order sounds by banks.
pads in one, drums in another, ect.
(i find it faster than tag filters, but those are still useful for narrowing down sounds by their qualities)

5 Likes

not sure if this is common knowledge, but I couldn’t figure out how to lock lfo start phase to beginning of a pattern and I’ve just figured it out, I wanted to understand how to achieve something like this:

the default track should have:

• on TRIG page the LFO.T set to be OFF
  • LFO MODE set to FREE
  • in VOICE menu REUSE to ON (this took me a while to find, without this it’s not working like I wanted)

then, the first trig should be locked to:

• LFO.T set to ON
  • LFO MODE set to TRG

now, every time I hit play the lfo is predictable and I can control where it starts from the START PHASE

worth mentioning that it only works with trigs, it does not work with ARP, it seems that ARP will just replicate the first trig all the time so every trig will be locked to the LFO.T and the LFO MODE…

10 Likes

I like this one.

you might have complicated things a bit here.
approach definitely works, but only for a monophonic line (because of reuse).

have you tried using POLY M.LFO play mode in sound settings + first step lfo trig only.
this should work with chords and arp, but i gotta try to make sure.

3 Likes

it works with poly as well as long as you set REUSE in the VOICE MENU and have the same amount of notes per trig, I’ve tried using 2/3 notes and it works.

now that you’ve mentioned POLY M.LFO in the SOUND SETUP menu I can see that the same can be achieved without having the REUSE set to ON and I can have different number of notes per trig!

thanks, couldn’t find this one!

2 Likes

I get pattern length synced LFO without changing anything on the trig page and just lock a free LFO to trig on step one.

With the arp I also cannot get the phase to start from 0.

1 Like