Digitone Tips and Tricks

Can you explain what you mean by this? I don’t understand what you’re doing to get the trigs to move around the sequence…? Intrigued.

1 Like

While in record mode, hold func and use the left right arrows

1 Like

Ah, gotcha - thanks. I was looking for that elusive OR button… :stuck_out_tongue:

Cool now I know what he meant and yes I imagine that could be interesting. Will try it.

1 Like

I’ve just discovered you can copy and paste names in the pattern Rename menu! Very useful when naming variations on a pattern eg “patt1A”, “patt1B” etc

5 Likes

I’m yet to try this but …

Use pattern chaining to effectively parameter lock the fx settings for external in.

….
Basically each pattern can have its own fx settings for delay etc but ( from memory) they can’t be parameter locked on each step
So basically use 16 patterns in a chain to recreate the same result of 16 steps in 1 pattern ( or however many steps/patterns you want )

Set pattern lengths to short numbers , and on each pattern setup defaults for delay , chorus , reverb , panning etc etc

This would probably work on other gear with external inputs and pattern chaining but no specific way to parameter lock all the parameters.

8 Likes

Ran into this by accident. I know some like or dislike FM because it’s easier to get that “ring/bell like” footprint from every sound than the sweetspot excellent sounds in between. Go over to settings, audio routing and disable tracks to master. Leave only fx to master. This way you’re left with only full wet fx Now send fx to taste and make settings to your chorus, reverb or delay and voila. Pleasant smoothed ambient scapes for the masses.

23 Likes

Found a cool feature which is a bit tucked into the manual, was added fairly recently.

This feature only works while in step record’s JUMP mode (press stop while holding record to cycle between STANDARD and JUMP step record modes). The difference between the two modes is the JUMP mode utilizes the length parameter to automatically create space between the notes as they are entered on the keys, where as standard mode simply places them step by step with no space in between regardless of the LEN setting or how long the key is held.

If you hold down YES while playing notes in JUMP mode, the length that you hold down the key will determine the LEN setting for that step, automatically advancing through the sequencer while you hold the key.

This is a really cool feature that saves a lot of finger work while writing a sequence in step record mode.

As long as the sequence is playing while in this mode, you’ll still have access to the metronome. If you want the track to be silent while you’re writing notes into the sequence, but still want to hear the metronome, you can simply mute the track.

Another related trick, if you hold function while rotating the LEN knob, it will cycle between traditional tempo markers (1/4 notes, 1/8 notes, 1/16 notes etc) and skip values which are not divisions of the current time signature or tempo.

22 Likes

a lot of great tips here : )

maybe already mentioned in the manual or here , PTN RELOAD also work with individual parameter page ex: SYN1 + NO reload the SYN1 parameter to his last saved state and this also work with individual track ex : T1 + NO .

30 Likes

Huh excellent, I can’t believe I didn’t know this! Thankyou

4 Likes

Pro Tip :+1:

2 Likes

I tought PARAM + NO reverted the settings to default ? Like PARAM + YES is used to randomize the page, not save it to temp.

1 Like

PARAM+CLEAR reverts the settings to default, while PARAM+NO reloads the sound’s saved settings, iirc

8 Likes

in a pattern if you mute tracks with ex : PTN + T1 (purple mode)
a PATTERN RELOAD press will unmute track muted with PTN + TRACK ; )

1 Like

find a new (for me) performance trick works with short note length

in a sequence use short note length (LEN on trig page ) put the arp on,set to taste.
now,when you press a note on the keyboard it will stop the seq and play the arp
so you can do drum or synth fills,build up,breaks down with a note press.
even better press a note on Track 1 keep press,go another Track press another note now the 2 track play the arp not the seq ,works with all four track …

…and change pattern keeping pressed ; )

14 Likes

Not really a trick, but kind of a discovery:
I’ve bought a Oto boum for compression/saturation but i have to say I like the DN Master Overdrive more… Don’t know if there’s some kind of limiting happening, but setting Master Overdrive to around 20 gives such a nice saturation and somewhat compressed sound. I think it’s amazing and really worth checking out!

10 Likes

This one is great ! Easy fills !

2 Likes

And it opens new horizons when you apply LFOs to this trick…

2 Likes

Two complementary sound-design tips, relevant to Digitone but also any other synth.

From @MilesKvndra: start a new sound with FX off entirely, and only add them back when you’re happy. This avoids getting distracted by fancy reverb on an unshaped sound.

From @cuckoomusic: when configuring modulation (e.g. velocity, MW/AT, but also LFO, envelope), work first with the depth very high, to hear the movement or timing clearly, and then reduce it down to taste.

9 Likes

This one may have been covered before but I use it a lot:

Save project before proceeding.
Double tap [TRACK] button to enter sound browser with a sequence running.
Browse for sounds and “live” audition them in the sequence without leaving the browser by pressing [FUNC] + [YES]
If needed, revert to initial sound for that track by pressing [TRACK] + [NO].

12 Likes

And to change octaves while browsing, press the Add Notes button and up or down.

7 Likes