Digitone Tips and Tricks

in a pattern if you mute tracks with ex : PTN + T1 (purple mode)
a PATTERN RELOAD press will unmute track muted with PTN + TRACK ; )

1 Like

find a new (for me) performance trick works with short note length

in a sequence use short note length (LEN on trig page ) put the arp on,set to taste.
now,when you press a note on the keyboard it will stop the seq and play the arp
so you can do drum or synth fills,build up,breaks down with a note press.
even better press a note on Track 1 keep press,go another Track press another note now the 2 track play the arp not the seq ,works with all four track …

…and change pattern keeping pressed ; )

14 Likes

Not really a trick, but kind of a discovery:
I’ve bought a Oto boum for compression/saturation but i have to say I like the DN Master Overdrive more… Don’t know if there’s some kind of limiting happening, but setting Master Overdrive to around 20 gives such a nice saturation and somewhat compressed sound. I think it’s amazing and really worth checking out!

10 Likes

This one is great ! Easy fills !

2 Likes

And it opens new horizons when you apply LFOs to this trick…

2 Likes

Two complementary sound-design tips, relevant to Digitone but also any other synth.

From @MilesKvndra: start a new sound with FX off entirely, and only add them back when you’re happy. This avoids getting distracted by fancy reverb on an unshaped sound.

From @cuckoomusic: when configuring modulation (e.g. velocity, MW/AT, but also LFO, envelope), work first with the depth very high, to hear the movement or timing clearly, and then reduce it down to taste.

8 Likes

This one may have been covered before but I use it a lot:

Save project before proceeding.
Double tap [TRACK] button to enter sound browser with a sequence running.
Browse for sounds and “live” audition them in the sequence without leaving the browser by pressing [FUNC] + [YES]
If needed, revert to initial sound for that track by pressing [TRACK] + [NO].

12 Likes

And to change octaves while browsing, press the Add Notes button and up or down.

7 Likes

THIS, all day. There’s a reason none of the sounds I released have effects added…one because effects can mask bad sounds a little too easily and two because they’re intended to be dropped into a track that’s already probably got effects settings going, thus if they depend on an effect that doesn’t match up to the current pattern, then it’s useless.

2 Likes

or function + up or down

Nope… this will jump in the list

For transposing octaves

not while browsing

You are right…

I haven’t implemented this yet, but you just made my day… I was using other tracks when working with drum rhythms and this now lets me put everything on one track… GORGEOUS trick!

What are you making reference to?

1 Like

So when you load a new sound it doesn’t come as a preset, with its own FX and paremeters?

Which parameters/stay change then?

I’m saying the sounds don’t utilize reverb, chorus or delay in order to achieve their sound. Some patches/presets rely on these effects and if you load them into your already in progress song, things won’t sound right. I made sure to not do this so as to not create an issue with how the sound is made and how your patterns are being made.

I hope this clears things up.

2 Likes

Sorry it’s still not clear for me whereas which parameters are changing when you load a new sound.
Say you have a sound with reverb full wet and you load a preset with no reverb on it, you’ll have a full wet reverb after loading? So the change will sound anyway, no?

Sorry, I didn’t realize this forum didn’t track the conversation thread. It was to the OP.

as to your question here:

Sorry it’s still not clear for me whereas which parameters are changing when you load a new sound.
Say you have a sound with reverb full wet and you load a preset with no reverb on it, you’ll have a full wet reverb after loading? So the change will sound anyway, no?

So the way it works is that pattern settings trump sound manager settings. When you hear a sound in the manager, it’ll be with whatever effect settings it was saved with.

When you pull it into a pattern, the pattern settings will hold. So if you like a sound where it has a 15s reverb or something, and you load it into a pattern where the reverb setting is off, you won’t get the reverb.

Does that help?