Digitone is now shipping

Having played with mind for the last few weeks this is something I want too. Have been compensating by sampling it.

1 Like

Not a bad idea!

You can even sequence both machines from either, by using the MIDI tracks. I had a feeling elektron intentionally designed certain aspects of the MIDI side to cater for exactly this (breath controller support etc) :diddly:

1 Like

No digitone for me and no music making with my setup for a few months, I’m going to renovate my apartment.

Enjoy your DN’s everyone. Hopefully I’ll join the fun around summer.

3 Likes

I do really like my A4, it’s just my luck that something else comes out as I finally take the plunge.

I know far more about subtractive synthesis anyway, so it’s probably for the best.

I’ll snag a DN as soon as they hit £550, which hopefully should be around the summer time.

3 Likes

I preordered a while ago with Musician’s Friend.

1 Like

When I read about the ability to layer/stack sounds, I knew that 2 DN’s was a must for me. I plan on using one for percussive sounds while processing the other one with a Boum (routing its audio through the audio inputs of the DN doing percussion). I want to use one of the DN’s to trigger the side-chaining on the Boum via midi.

I really like that the DN can mix a stereo signal into its audio path instead of only mono (like on the DT). I also think it will be really great having them supply additional midi tracks & LFO’s to automate more parameters (like the various FX parameters).

From what I can tell, listening to demos, I think I’m going to really enjoy creating/using percussive sounds with the DN.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also plan on having an AH process everything to make the percussive sounds a bit edgier. Also, I hope to create a pseudo song-mode by having the 2 DN’s sending one another program change commands at the same time.

DN > Boum > DN > AH

5 Likes

I had to send my DN back, because of a faulty, sticky trig key. There´s no replacement on the horizon. I feel pretty bad. Elektron should, too.

Sticky keys get better, at least that’s what I noticed with my DT… There was a corner of the button 3 that would stay stuck under the faceplate.
By moving it a bit and using the button for a few days, the key stopped sticking.

Why haven’t you contacted Elektron support ?
They might have proposed an alternative…

3 Likes

You should have checked with Elektron first. They maybe could have sent you a replacement button and free swag for your troubles in less than a week’s time.

they sent me a load of replacement buttons free for my 2nd hand MD before.
I’m a good customer but they were totally sound :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Thanks for your input, but I contacted Elektron first and they told me to return the unit. Maybe sticky button was the wrong word - the button itself was fine, but it was malfunctioning. It was sending note on all the time. Here´s a video of the DN test mode:

Good luck with yours.
Andre.

2 Likes

Ah, yeah that’s different from the simple problem with the buttons needing to be worn in. Sorry, for your misfortune. Hopefully, your replacement unit will arrive earlier than expected.

2 Likes

Got mine from Guitar Center yesterday. Pretty happy with it, although I managed to already get some light scratches on it from the 3D printed stands I have. :frowning: The finish seems to be extremely susceptible to scratching. I guess I shouldn’t have been too surprised, given that it’s painted metal.

Sorry, what do you mean by layering? Two sounds with one trig?

Yep, it’s described on page 31 of the manual. This will be great for designing certain sounds; I think it will be awesome for kicks, strange pseudo physically modeled type sounds, and huge synth sounds made with a sound that focuses on the body layered with one that focuses on the top layer (interesting mid/high frequency stuff).

5 Likes

I see! For a moment i thought that could translate to 8 sounds playing at the same time across 4 tracks. But it is indeed 4 sounds triggered by 1 or 2 tracks, is it right?

Yeah, I was thinking about that myself. It would be great if they could modify this feature to work on the patch level so you could do as you described, maximize the polyphony available, and prevent having to waste sequencer tracks when they go unused. But it is still cool as-is. I always wished the RYTM could do this; this was something the MD/MM always had the ability to do, and I used it a lot.

1 Like

I wonder if it’d work by using sound locks on the target track on the same step as the track that is controlling the target… not sure if that makes sense…? Will try it on my DN later if I have time…
Also could possibly use sound locks and microtiming to have two sounds playing at once on one track step…? As long as the emvelope release is long enough…

1 Like

Maybe with microtiming, but if you try to sound lock a different sound on a track that is utilizing the layer feature, it will also trigger the layered sound unless you can p-lock the layering to off for that step.

I think just sticking to sound locks & microtiming, you should probably be able to stack more than 4 sounds.

1 Like

Yeah fair. But my idea was as such:

Track 1 triggers itself and track 2
Track 2’s default sound is the 2nd layer of track 1’s sound
Use additional sequencing on track 2 but with sound locks for different sounds to the ones being layered
Track 1 will trigger track 2, but what happens when both track 1 and 2 are triggering on the same step? Would both the layered and sound locked sounds play, or just one of them?

2 Likes