Digitone is now shipping

Red Means recording let you go out USA ?:grin:

3 Likes

nice skiff you got there :slight_smile:

i actually got away from Red Means recording as quick as possible… but was not quick enough apparently… :poop:

5 Likes

Please @Dataline random arp mode… can we expect it in the next updates? thanxx :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes you are right. I used that term interchangeably while I should not. What I was going to say is that those standard waves sound FM-ish. Of course I checked those presets and even tried to create my own presets. I played with feedback and shape modulation. Any standard wave sound sounds either thin or metallic. Building a track on just FM sounds would be quite difficult, as after several minutes your start feeling headache of those metallic shades of every instrument. Perhaps width filter could be changed to band or notch to do some better equalization. Idk. Or maybe I am just not a good patch creator. I just wanted to warn people not to ditch their A4 synths. DN will play nice with A4 (or any other Analog or VA synth) complementing each other. I am sure a lot people will agree with me as initial hype is gone.

2 Likes

Except you can trig a new sound from the sound library on the same track the arp is playing. I guess it would be no different than just changing a few parameters on the same sound. When you do this I would like the arp to continue running. I’m used to doing this all the time on mm. Not a huge deal really but does limit creativity and more dynamic patterns.

For example:

Track 1: Arp ON.

Step 1 (trig bass sound) Step 9 (trig lead sound)

ARP should play on both these trigs but it does not it only plays on first. I could be missing something I’ll have another look today.

I dont think its related to being a good patch creator or not…
I would say you just need to spend time with the unit and find your own sweet spots within the DN.
Saying this from my own experience.

7 Likes

can’t perform the update, transfer don’t detect my digitone ( mac os sierra 10.12.6)

I beg to differ. Strongly. I like those metallic sounds. Love them. I listen to hour long live Autechre sets full of them. DN is a huge threat to my A4 as I personally just love Monomachine and DN and Yamaha TG-33 and Modor sounds a lot more lately, and with Digitone I get a lot of the A4’s features but with a sound engine I find much more interesting, personally.

(I’ll probably keep the A4 though. I do like it. But I just haven’t quite connected with it as strongly as :elmm:, :elmd:, :elot:, etc). And I feel like the same thing - maybe I’m just a bad A4 patch creator.)

I really love the almost vector-synth kinds of sounds I was able to get out of Digitone almost immediately, in a much more friendly and usable interface than most of the old vector synths have.

5 Likes

I used good old classic SysEx Librarian to update my Digitone. It was slow but worked fine. Plugged Digitone in via USB, selected it in the dropdown list of MIDI ports/devices, dragged the system update SysEx to SysEx Librarian window, selected it, and hit its ‘play’ button (after selecting ‘system update’ in digitone’s system menu).

Kindof like C6, SysEx Librarian is an old workhorse piece of software and current version works on MacOS back to 10.7.

2 Likes

Me too :slight_smile: fm can be so gorgeous as well.
SAW2 is full of fm pads

I’ll give it a try. And What about the other owners ? Did transfer works for your upgrade ?

I made these sounds/pattern last night on the Digitone. I wouldn’t say they sound thin or even very metallic.

13 Likes

That is good advice. You should have written it on the yellow box :slight_smile: I played a bit more today and was able to create a couple analog sounding pads out of totally crazy combination of settings. But you know, sometimes you reach a point where no matter what you change you cannot get rid of those “sine” sounding parasitic frequencies. No matter what you change they just move upper or lower in the spectrum. It feels like I would just cut entire range altogether using some resonant notch filter. Please consider adding band and notch settings to the width filter area. That feels like easy thing to code but adds a lot of value to the sound shaping.

1 Like

SysEx Librarian worked perfect for me

1 Like

I don’t think transfer recognizes it currently. Use the c6 tool and and a midi cable.

Personally I love the contrast of using one analog synth and one digital… For me analog sounds warm and creamy while digital is crisp and sharp, I find hearing them both at the same time they compliment each other very nicely, and each one almost makes the other one sound better by drawing attention to their tonal differences…
Of course this is a super general statement, but generally that’s how I feel… :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I got the shipping message…still nothing arrived today. But i had fun with the other two…

Side by side…i recognized how much they streamlined the Interface! I fucking love it!

6 Likes

That’s a lovely looking future set-up.

I’m torn between completing my mini trinity with a Boss-Man A4 or the Big-Boy OT(most likely OT- but Analog is cool)

1 Like

5 Likes