Digitone is now shipping

I know I know, I was just hassling and pointing out the back and fourth some other members are having… i apologize if it came across less light hearted than I intended. You just happened to provide the right quotes and commented earlier in this thread about being worried about your preorder because early issues with the DT.

4 Likes

True, for some of the lesser used functions in combination I’d say. But I’m pretty sure it was possible to test if midi clock or USB worked on Digitakt? When DT arrived with me, it crashed within 5 minutes.

No one is asking for perfection on day one for a software based box…but there are limits to how much beta testing I want to do. Once again, roll on the fixes for all the boxes. And DN users, I can’t wait to hear how it’s going and what it sounds like. :smiley:

I’m happy enough just knowing they exist and that maybe sometime in the next few years I could end up with one… :slight_smile:

1 Like

For those thinking these are the first times there’s been problems with Elektron stuff - go back through the Machinedrum OS release notes. There are some wild bugs and fixes in there. From “Bank CC was sent as modulation wheel cc by LFO and slide” to things like “md sps-1 could not boot with plusdrive installed nor boot from a soft reset”. Everything’s always been broken. Or everything always gets fixed. However you like to look at it.

5 Likes

Or the third

Found an hour to sit down and make a pattern using 4 tracks on the Digitone. It’s just a straight recording out of the Digitone with no processing afterwards.

24 Likes

The way that wave turns from white to orange in SoundCloud with your face as the background makes it look like you’re smoking a huge doobie.

Edit: on an iPhone anyway.

Edit, edit: sweet pattern too btw!

2 Likes

Yeah I have to confess : at first I was like “a digital fm synth … meh!” yet I just order one today :slight_smile: because the more I am hearing the demos, the more I am like “this thing is nauts!”

1 Like

Yeah after noodling around a bit I think this going to be my new bass machine :slight_smile:

It’s really easy to get some interesting sounds going with the 2 lfo’s and some minimal plocking

1 Like

Sounds great, really sounds like it gets to the point where the DT kicks in over the track😄

1 Like

Thanks, Yeah I may bring the DT in and see what I can add to it. So far I was just playing with the Digitone on it’s own but everything is pretty easy to navigate so It might be time to incorporate it with the rest of the gear.

This is one of those synths where it’s just really easy to get an interesting and usable sound out of it. Loving it so far! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this! It sounds great and it’s helping me to hold out for when mine ships!

1 Like

I’m assuming the mods will start a bug report thread but for now I’ll just post here. In regards to the arp, it is now working and it’s great! However, if you p lock a new sound on a track with the arp ON the arp does not play on that new sound. Not sure if this is bug or feature request but I feel like this should work. I must say this thing is a blast and deeper than I thought in terms of sound design. Everything else seems to be working very well and much better than the digitakt was early on.

I played second day today, no freezes or crashes after 1.01 update. So far so good. All basses and percussive patches sound good. Great FM sound. I also like new way of adding notes to the sequencer. Changing algorithms on sounds is definitely something different comparing to any subtractive synth. Basically your patch can sound unpredictable. As far as downsides, those filters added, dont really make the machine sound any substractive. I.e. it is still FM synth with filters for voices. I think A4 or any other heavy duty subtractive synth needs to be in pair for tracks to have some good harmonic balance. Smaller rect buttons feel better than on Digitakt and screen is better as well (no lines).

4 Likes

down for growing pains here get that batch out to sweetwater! lol

3 Likes

Did ypu try to p_lock arp on on this sound change trig?

5 posts were split to a new topic: Phase modulation and FM synthesis

This might be standard behavior? My A4 is an ocean away from me at the moment so I can’t test, but I think it works the same on it. It’s like when you’re previewing sounds in the sound browser - if you select a new sound while you’re previewing another, the new sound won’t be used until you explicitly trigger the voice again. I’m assuming the arp relies on trigs to initiate, and I think the notes in the arp aren’t processed like trigs from the sequencer.

Subtractive synthesis is not the same thing as ‘sounding analog’. “FM synth with filters” is literally additive (fm) + subtractive (filter) synthesis. Subtractive is simply reducing harmonics rather than adding.

That said, you can get some standard analog-ish waves out of it. See preset B001 and B002 - Saw and Square.

8 Likes

Finally home with family :elmm::elmd::elot:

24 Likes