Digitone is now shipping

I just used SysEx Librarian on OS X 10.13.2

3 Likes

Wondering which retailer will have DN in stock sooner - Kraft Music vs. Sweetwater… does anyone have an idea, based on past experiences (or secret knowledge) of back roads?

Just checked on my pre-order with Kraft Music, and they told me they have no ETA yet, but may have a better idea by later next week.

The waiting game continues…

1 Like

Musicians friends ETA went from 02/24 to 02/14 to 02/15.

I placed my order when it was at 02/24- so hopefully mine is one the next earliest shipping instead of sticking me with the original ETA

I’m enjoying my wait for the Digitone, probably from the second batch. Once it arrives, I’ll have new experiences to enjoy.

Evolutionary biology informs us that it is the desire and longing for the experience, acquisition, nourishment that makes us succeed as a species. If we did not have such dopamine responses during the anticipation stage, we wouldn’t be driven to seek out things like sustenance, and therefore wouldn’t survive long enough to pass these traits on.

So enjoy this marker of existence. Take pleasure in it. It is just as fleeting as the happiness we anticipate the newest thing will bring us.

8 Likes

if yours arrives before mine maybe you could send it to me. i’ll be pretty happy you get more dopamine :yum:

2 Likes

True! I’m really buckling into my Digitakt for the time being and sorta imagining how everything is going to work out- it’s so much fun!

Getting back into the flow as I’m in the process of sticking everything into a briefcase and have been busy studying python as my labor to “earn” buying the Digitone- so, in actuality the time IS appreciated.

However- it will be REALLY nice to not have to worry about needing the samples to work to present the real musical elements- also that clean direct method p-locking bizarre patterns into FM(the number of times I’ve considered buying a Volca FM just to control it Elektron style- before acknowledging it would be a CC seek and find nightmare!)

Also the notion of having all that power in a space equivalent to the size of a formerly standard Elektron box!

I’m overwhelmed by anticipation- I suppose it does feel good now that you mention it

2 Likes

Fortunately/unfortunately, the CCs on the Volca FM are fairly few, basically reflecting controls on the front panel. So none of the deeper sound editing stuff. There’s 11 CCs in total, one could easily select 8 of interest for use on any Elektron. The CCs are not entirely dissimilar to what is on the Digitone for p-locking: adjust carrier envelopes start and end; ditto for mod envelopes (does magic ‘stretching’ behind the scenes of all the multi-stage envelopes in use by the operators according to their type within the algorithm); can also target the algorithm and arpeggiator type and division. Basically the same stuff you can do with motion sequencing on the Volca FM (which can do some really insane stuff when radically changing the arp settings and algorithm between steps).

One can easily pair that with the Digitone’s sequencer if they’re really weeping and gnashing their teeth at the Digitone’s 4 operators / 8 algorithms of the Digitone and get one smacking huge dab of FM goodness :slight_smile: (It’s on my list of things to try pairing the Digitone with for fun and madness).

(edit to add: but just using Digitone alone is far more fun than Volca FM and the sounds are really really lovely)

2 Likes

Can confirm, had an OT + vfm, it never really gelled.

You’ve got priority in the queue over anybody who bought after you; it’s first in first out. The expected delivery dates are subject to change, and often do. It appears they haven’t sold out of their first batch yet, and are now expected it sooner than they had originally. I ordered from them too, and it just went through today so I expect mine on 2/15 also.

1 Like

my delivery date from gear4music shifted from 06.02. to 05.02. and now a few hours later to estimated 09.02. :thinking:

Just noticed that previously playing synth sound tails play into the next pattern when you switch patterns :slight_smile:
I’ve seen plenty of synth/grooveboxes that cut off notes when you switch patterns (cough… electrbs… cough).

3 Likes

Check your tape measure.
DT+DN is wider (17")/larger footprint than even a single MKII Analog (15.2").
MK1s and OTMKII are 13.4"

But yea, point taken, lots of power across two portable machines, for sure.
Can fit up to 6 DT/DN/AH when doing 3 rows of 2, side by side in my carry-on HPRC2550w.
Just unreal the amount of funk they pack into these smaller Elektrons.

1 Like

Huh! That thought didn’t cross my mind! I’ll have to recheck my briefcase and try to find another in hat case

-perhaps I should try to rig a studio out of one of those new Elektron bags…

Just realized my case can fit:

OTMKII
DT
DN
2x AH

:open_mouth::crazy_face:

They’re just going to love me in the airport security lines.

4 Likes

I just realized your case could fit in my house! :smiley:

5 Likes

Doubles as a “crib” (the case… also, the house, ha)

2 Likes

Smooth moves sir :laughing:
Now to just convince my wife that we can all live in a case with a bunch of Elektron gear and save on paying rent every month.

2 Likes

Have been playing around with my Digitone all afternoon and evening. No crashes. Some of the time it was clocked from Digitakt. It is lightyears more stable than my Digitakt was on 1.0. The comparison is not really warranted.

Also. It is such a lovely synth. It sounds amazing. The chorus effect is really nice. Really well designed in terms of flow. The additive element is very clever. Only minor complaint is that the b-b parameters on syn1-page are really difficult to dial in.

Portamento would be nice as well.

Also, I hope they give the Digitakt the extra LFO in the same layout as it has on the Digitone.

4 Likes

I’m just having a discussion, not hating
Also you did take that quote out of context… that was part of a back and forth conversation.