Digitone feature requests!

Resale prices on the keys have been really crazy good lately… Get one while they are a steal… It is the only electron that the price has actually come down allot and not shot up… Plus used in mint condition i have seen them as low as $750… That less then a new regular digitone.

If you set your external controller to the auto channel, this works already – I have my Keystep on default auto Ch10 and patch previews work on it as you scroll. It’s only when you’re going direct to Chs 1-4 that it doesn’t work. The Auto Channel is a godsend.

1 Like

Unfortunately, nobody in my country is willing to part with their Digitone at the moment, Keys or not.
Also, very small country, not that many owners.

Awesome! Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

This one definitely deserves a separate thread in my opinion, haha.

I’ve had the DN for about 2 weeks, and in that time I’ve found it to be an amazing little box. I’ve got it hooked up to a Sub 37, a Rytm MKII and an OB-6 and sequencing these things alone has boosted my creativity massively.

But (there’s always a but), there are three (edit: four, see reply) main things that I wish it could do in MIDI but for some reason doesn’t:

1. On any internal engine, you can press <PAGE>+NO to set values back to last saved. On the MIDI CC VAL page, this doesn’t work. It’d be so useful…
  2. On any internal engine, sounds respond to MW and AT direct from the controller KB. When running an external device, AT and MW are only available from encoders. DN, please pass through these messages to the external synth!
  3. Arps! We get a lovely arp engine and we can only use them on the internal sounds.
8 Likes

I’ve had digitone for a few months now, Its a dedicated member of my choral of synths, and I certainly love it. RK006 usb hub has helped me bypass the midi CC (MW/PB/AT) choke from external keyboard, but i still find it so odd that it is an issue to begin with! I’m finding myself really WISHING that I could set the envelope attack level, IE I want to be able to start at some specified value and end somewhere else, rather than always start at value=0 with the attack? I want to apply subtler transformations to the sound?? Of course I’m with everyone else wishing for parameter slides, and louder reverb level. Really Really grateful that portamento/legato and ratio tuning was added.

2 Likes

I’m playing the Digitone from my Hydrasynth (keys) and I’d love to see the Digitone support poly aftertouch. I have absolutely no idea what kind of things that needs to be in place to support poly AT, but I do know a lot of synths out there support it. The Digitone is such a capable synth, super expressive sounds galore in that box. PAT would add a whole new dimension to playing it, and would make it a bit more future proof. I’m guessing PAT keybeds will be making a comeback so…

1 Like

I’d like to add another thing to “things I wish DN could do in external MIDI” above: I wish you could tie notes together, so that (for example) my Sub 37 knew when to do portamento for a pair of legato notes. It’s there in the internal engine on the bottom right of the TRIG page and there’s just a blank square when MIDI’ing.

2 Likes

You can tie notes together by making the 1st long enough to overlap the 2nd.

1 Like

Another idea (probably already requested) : it would be nice to be free to set specific values for the effects for each track. I mean, you can’t apparently set a 1/4 delay on track 1 and a 1/8. on track 2. It’s more a global effect with individual blend controls. Maybe am I wrong. And it’s maybe impossible, due to the effect architecture path of the unit.

Thanks! I’ll use that, I did wonder what mechanism it was using when I was just recording live. I’d still love for it to be an at-a-glance thing consistent with the internal engine, but this will help immensely

It is, as you correctly guess, impossible due to the effect architecture path :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d love a custom screen where you could hand-pick different settings and assign them to the 8 knobs A-H. Sort of like the Combinator in Reason where a knob could control one-to-many settings within defined ranges.

I find that in any given song, I tend to reach for the same settings within that song when doing a live jam. So, it would be great to have the ability to assign e.g.

Knob A: filter cutoff on track 1.
Knob B: filter cutoff on track 2+3
Knob C: filter decay on track 4
Knob D: reverb send on all tracks
Knob E: transpose of track 2+3 within range 0 (min) to +12 (max)
Knob F: LFO depth on track 4 within range 32 (min) to 64 (max)

This would make it so much easier to perform your favorite effects and transitions and program them in advance by assigning a custom knob for it.

6 Likes

(To keep this thread clean)
@djst, some ideas on workarounds for this here: Performance knob, primarily MIDI loopback.

2 Likes

Is it possible to loop or otherwise retrigger the filter envelope (or amp envelope, or any of the modulator envs) without playing a new note?

If not that seems like a cheap and pretty powerful feature.

1 Like

Digitakt just got a massive update!! So we will get one too right? You would think so…

1 Like

Patience, young grasshopper. It takes time to make sure they implement MIDI arp correctly :wink:

33 Likes

Most of the new features the digitakt got, the digitone already has? long time coming for the takt if you ask me

13 Likes

I’m probably a small minority but I’d really love the ability to have the ability to adjust track lengths in smaller increments than steps. Such as being able to have a track length that is 63.2 long.

3 Likes