Digitone feature requests!

Ha! :joy: My bad! Thanks for pointing that out. Deleting and reposting.

Yeah Iā€™d love a mode similar to the Monomachineā€™s SID mode, where it only triggers the ARP if more than one note is held down/plocked.

3 Likes

More patch memory slots.

3 Likes

Hi there, maybe already mentioned but real time transpose with onboard keyboard or external MIDI messages, sort of what A4 can do. The current transpose implementation seems kind of clumsy imo.
Great little box anyway.

More scales.
Scale filtering mode, where the keyboard is left untouched but only notes in the scale are lighten up.

4 Likes

I thought you can do this already in the Add Notes section?

Direct jump and other pattern change features
Performance macros
extended LFO editing.

I Love my Digitone though, I was waiting for this machine for 10years now. Good job Elektron!

My only request would be a mode where you can share a kit (the set of 4 sounds) among various patterns so any changes you make are not reset.

An implementation idea would be a kit per chain mode. When the mode is active all the patterns of a chain will share the kit of the first pattern and when you load an individual pattern the kit of the pattern is loaded.

5 Likes

Ability to rename values of the assignable CC commands on the FLTR page to prevent the need to remember or take note elsewhere of which parameters the encoders are assigned to. I believe this request applies to other gear too, such as the Octatrack.

1 Like

ARP for MIDI tracks!!!

9 Likes

Instead of creating a new thread, going to revive one of many old threads about the same topicā€¦
For all the elektron boxes, wanting to merge midi in data with a boxes midi out seems like a feature with relatively high demand, for at least the most obvious purpose of using a midikeyboard while chaining several boxes together.
Boxes with midi channels can forward note data, but it is not sufficientā€¦ and anyways the whole chain breaks if the A4 is not at the end.
To me it seems like this should be pretty trivial os updatesā€¦

Some functionality choices would have to be madeā€¦ personally i would be fine with an option to have the boxes only respond to the autochannel for program changes clock and the active track, and have all other channels merged to the out.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure why you chose to put this in an old Digitone thread, specifically, as you donā€™t single out the Digitone itself. This is more of a ā€˜feature requestā€™, and it seems like it could be tagged onto any of the feature request threads for any unit that has MIDI tracks. Because you put it in a Digitone thread, I am going to assume you would like to see this feature on the Digitone, so Iā€™ve moved it to the feature request thread for that unit.

Well, I do also mean for the digitone! But I think it would be useful for all boxes, a general update of the midi-config utilityā€¦ (I think would be especially useful for the A4, which does not have any midi channels).

1 Like

This ties into my post below (above relative to where this post showed up). If you use one of the midi channels on the DN (or other boxes for that matter) to forward midi data, to my knowledge it does not forward the mod wheel, aftertouch etcā€¦

Would just like to update my request for a ā€œSlot Modeā€, the new Key mapping feature is too convoluted and limited to make it worth it to make drum kits. It would be great if there was a mode where you could just play every sound in your pool over the keys like the Octatrack.

Heres a huge one. When playing the keyboard, the last note you pressed should be input into the sequencer when adding a step in step mode. This is a great feature on the OP-Z that makes it really east to input melodies.

7 Likes

So I just found something about the arp that really really really does not work as I had expected.

What the arp does is, it plays a note-sequence, then for range > 1, it repeats that sequence in higher octaves.

With arp mode = up, this works how every other arp does, and itā€™s fine.
With arp mode = down, this plays your notes downwards then repeats that upwards in octaves. This is not the opposite of what you get with arp mode = up. You get a rising sequence of smaller falling sequences, not a sequence that falls over multiple octaves.
Itā€™s worst with arp mode = cycle. In this mode, first the exact notes you input notes are played going up, then going down, then it steps up through octaves to repeat that. Contrast the behaviour of playing up through the octaves, then down through the octaves, then repeating.

Compare this with any other arp. Iā€™ll take the one on my bass station 2 for example. When I set my BS2 to play a descending arp over 3 octaves, it does the highest octave first and descends from there. When I set it to updown, it plays up through the octave range, then down through the octave range. Adding more octaves means it plays up further then down further, rather than having an updown pattern that gets repeated in one octave more.

Basically, the range control is always set to ā€˜upā€™ even when the arp mode is down or cycle. It always transposes up into the next octave.

Letā€™s put some notes on this!
Mode = up, range = 3, notes = {C3, E3, G3}
Output: C3 E3 G3 C4 E4 G4 C5 E5 G5 repeat
This is fine, it plays the notes upwards then repeats upwards by octaves then loops. It makes an ascending sound.

Mode = down, range = 3, notes = {C3, E3, G3}
Actual digitone output: G3 E3 C3 G4 E4 C4 G5 E5 C5 repeat
This is weird, it plays the notes downward in the octave, then plays the octaves upwards even with the mode set to down?

Expected output: G5 E5 C5 G4 E4 C4 G3 E3 C3
This is what I expected and what most other arps do. It would make a descending sound, the inverse of the ā€˜upā€™ arp mode.

Feature request: that arp mode includes the range control for down and cycle modes / behaviour changed to mirror every other arp out there. Although I suppose people have composed songs with the current behaviour, so I guess elektron are locked in now. In that case, a toggle? Or more arp modes that behave correctly with a multi-octave range? or a ā€˜negativeā€™ range where it can decrease by octaves? or func+range for range-including-arpmode? Or something anything that fixes this misfeature.

Itā€™s as though elektron saw that synth arps have a range control, but didnā€™t actually understand what it means, or actually use it to see what it does. It shouldnā€™t do ascending octave repeats. It should set the range of the arpeggio.

Also, itā€™d be nice if the arp could default to something a touch faster than one note per bar on blank patterns. Arps are usually used at a faster rhythm than that.

I know that I canā€™t just toggle it on and use it, that I have to actually configure note length and mode etc etc before itā€™ll do what I want. But sometimes just being able to go ā€œwhat if I use the arp with this?ā€ would be nice. And in that case, I am never thinking about using it to play a note per bar.

It would be helpful if just toggling it on (without entering the arp menu) let me hear it with a ā€˜typicalā€™ setting, like 4ths, 8ths, or 16ths. Currently it defaults to the most extreme slow speed it can possibly take.

3 Likes

Some way to get 100% wet reverb, delay or choice without any dry signal.

4 Likes

As my Digitone is increasingly replacing my A4 for sequencing duties, Iā€™d appreciate some A4-style exponential curves for the envelope decays, on the filter at least.

3 Likes

Agree ! It was quite disturbing for me the first time I launched it :thinking:, never seen this before, anywhere. Could be a global device setting, or set to 1/16th or 1/8th by default, this 1 bar setting doesnā€™t make sense.