Digitone / Digitone Keys: bug reports

It should be reliable.
Before going for the bug, let’s rule out user errors: are you sure you don’t have a midi loop?
Other gear: are your cables ok? Do you observe the same problem when you switch them? Same for your PSUs.
Then contact Elektron support.

3 Likes

Yep, no midi loop, tried switching midi cables around too but nothing changed, the DN works fine until i start trying to control it by midi, it isnt the 1st time either, i used to try and automate cc through bitwig/overbridge but it always made the synth too slow ( knob twiddles didnt respond until seconds later, key pressing wasn’t acknowledged for seconds, etc) so i chucked it to OB issues. But now, it seems i cant control more than 2-3 values at a time which seems odd

My digitone has frozen before when being controlled by digitakt but it was only when I was using the arp and had some lfo’s active. It did not crash though, it froze and was unresponsive just continually playing a glitch noise not at all like my actual sequence, but then I think at one point I figured out that I could get it to unfreeze from the weird undesired riff (not what I had programmed) that it was playing by doing something on the digitone itself.

I may have had to press play again and then stop the transport immediately after but I had to do it on the digitone transport even though it was slaved to the digitakt, I can’t remember because it’s been a while since I dealt with it. If your machine did a black screen or force restarted itself, you probably need to submit a trouble ticket detailing the exact steps that it took to create the crash as closely as possible. Sorry that I don’t have more info on this one, but if it has to do with arp and LFO and controlling midi from digitakt AND you’re getting a freeze with a weird note trail then try messing with the transport on the digitone directly, press play or play then stop and see if it unsticks the glitch. If it’s doing a forced power cycle, black screen or showing an exception error code, or anything funny - like doing the test mode and displaying errors, then after eliminating midi cables and especially psu as culprits - ticket time.

Also just to be sure, if you haven’t done the test mode try that real quick, hold down func while starting up and then follow the prompt to test for errors. Unlikely anything will show up, but worth a try. Another thing you could try before submitting a trouble ticket is back up your projects and then use sysex over din midi to reload firmware from transfer.

1 Like

that sounds similar to what i was doing, i had various midi cc’s being controlled/automated from digitakt on track 1 and 3 and also had the lfo’s controlling stuff on each track, the arp was active on T1 while i tweaked settings and i was also playing the keyboard…i didnt get a black screen, i had the weird screen freeze /glitch sound you mention and i couldnt get it to respond so i just turned the DN off and on,
then i thought i mightve been doing too much at once so i stopped playing the keys and twiddling knobs and just let the sequences run their course and then it froze again

1 Like

I have a short recording that I pulled off my zoom recorder of the glitch sound, let me try and find it. If it sounds anything like what you had, you could try the transport thing I was talking about - the first time it happened I did what you did, power cycled, didn’t happen again for a while. The next time it happened I think I decided to mess around a little and got it to unstick. Happened at least one other time and the same unstick seemed to work because I was looking at it from a clearer perspective then the first time when I was like oh shit I bricked my digitone. I was not able to consistently reproduce or identify the criteria which created the glitch other than sort of a ballpark area of concern, and I never did find a proper fix for it but sometimes a workaround is as good as you’re going to get. I’ll see if I have the glitch file still.

1 Like

thanks, i also just realized i was still on firmware 1.40a , so i just upgraded the unit. hopefully this helps, i would love to be able to modulate as many parameters as i want

2 Likes

this is the gist of it, just continued on without what I would call a discernible pattern or loop point to it. There’s some hint in there that tells my ears it’s related to lfo plus arp but really I’m just guessing.

I’d try the upgrade over din midi using the sysex files if you have a din interface, it can’t hurt.

mine wasnt that sound but tbh im not 100% sure what noise it made since i had the digitakt, a4 and sp404 all playing something at the same time shit went awry, i remeber i realized something was wrong when i played a chord on T3 and hit T1 to switch active tracks but it stayed on T3, started moving things around but no response.
thanks for all your help, now im on a mission to recreate what happened lol

no doubt, good luck man. definitely similar behavior. I was only able to isolate it because I stopped the dt transport and everything else stopped but dn kept rolling with the glitch even after master transport had ceased.

1 Like

i got it to do it again, def related to midi, arp and lfo’s, i can play T1 as much as i want but once i send it midi from digitakt it freezes after a bit but only if the arp is engaged

1 Like

Did you try the “workaround” to mess with the transport on the digitone itself? I think that’s what I was doing, like the transport must have been stopped, and I pressed play and then stop again. Like I said, it’s been a while since I was dealing with it but it pissed me off so I have a pretty good recollection of the situation.

I have to assume this is a bug, it must be a known bug too because it’s not like either of us was doing something crazy with it, pretty standard to use a digitone as a module in this way, controlled by midi.

i did, but it didnt make a difference, the sound it made was pretty cool tho, i might try doing it again to record it

1 Like

as long as you aren’t losing any work and know how to avoid it then it’s probably chill, but at this point if you know how to make it glitch out I’d go ahead with the ticket. can’t hurt anything, you know?

2 Likes

Since yesterday, I do heavy arp stuff and I had a lot of freeze (something like 7 or 8 times). It seems to appear when arp is active on 3 or 4 tracks. It happened mostly with very fast and complex arp but also with slow evolving arp on 64 steps. It seems to appear mostly when I’m editing the arp.
The DN is using standalone (only one) with its internal clock so no midi in (just midi out to AH+FX to sync delay).
I own Digitone for 2 years now and only had a couple of freeze until yesterday (my set up is basically two DN and an AH+FX and I work every day on this setup). It’s not the first time that I’m using arp on all tracks but I never experienced this before. I will contact Elektron support to see if it could not be a hardware malfunction…

1 Like

anyone has an idea why the midi lfo not working? I was doing a midi loopback experiment and it was not working, so I tested this in Live to modulate a simple param but it’s not working either, is this a known thing or am I missing something?
I’ve tried PB modulation and CC modulation, everything works if I move my VAL buttons and when I move the DEPth of the lfo, but once I let go the value is not changing, SPD/MULT have no effect in any setting.
I also noticed something weird when trying it in Live, when there’s some depth set on the lfo and I change the VAL, it acts weird, as if resetting the values very fast:

OS1.40C: Had a pretty bad bug in song mode during a performance last night. Song just stopped on beat one of a pattern mid-way through a song. Going to look further into this to see if I can repro it, but anyone else had these seemingly random song stops?

Please contact Elektron support anyway.

OS1.40C
Audio in sometimes bypasses the fx.
In my case: i’ve got moog minitaur goes in DN audio in R channel set to mono. FX are on. When i change pattern, sometimes moog gets no fx but they are set to ON, with sends levels UP. When I power off then power on, FX are heard correctly.
Weird :confused:

v1.41

The chord feature is broken, regardless of scale ie chromatic or not the chord (G) does not work, it’s only playing the root note.