Digitone buying advice

You can do a lot of different sounds with it. In the beginning you will probably get those FM type sounds out of it, but when you start to understand it you can make sounds that aren’t sounding FM at all.

But you will need to spend many hours with it to grasp everything. That’s how it’s been for me at least. I have not grasped everything yet, but I’m getting there. The filter is an amazing feature that makes it even more versatile.

The best tip I can give you if you buy it is to get some good sound packs and learn from those sounds.

1 Like

I have yet to try the Overbridge 2.0 beta drivers. How are you liking it so far? I imagine it gives you much more control over levels, song structure, etc…

I’ve heard the fx are only processed on the stereo outs. How do you rectify that?

Get it.

No need to worry about the types of sounds you can make. It’s highly versatile. It also has some really nice audio quality overall. You can always control a little analog mono with it too if you need to supplement. You can do some really nice wave-folder style growls with it too if you want that style of raw.

I believe it’s my favorite Elektron box full stop. (though the Digitakt, SID Station, and MonoMachine would be close as well for various reasons)

Buuuuuyyyyyyyy iiiiiiiiiittttttttttt… :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: Also, the A4 has among the best (most flexible, and high resolution) CV outputs around. They are seriously nice. The voltage ranges are flexible, the resolution is fine, everything is highly configurable, and yes, it has more than one.

4 Likes

Currently I’ve been treating the daw like a tape recorder. Either taking in performances. Or like a sampler and taking loops and making sounds out of the pieces. The vsts are gonna be where it’s at. Using the new rytm vst is pretty slick. Everything just hops in and is in time without having to use it as a sound card. The audio is quite low as it taps the digitone before the gain stages of the master output. This is fine though since it’s digital audio you can normalize it and there really isn’t noise to speak of in doing so and you have tons of headroom. Losing the effects is a mixed bag. If I have something I love using the internal effects I’ll try and capture it alone and mute the rest. There’s going to be an update to have this work more like the rytm and a4 where you can mute tracks from goin to the main outs. This means any non vital effects can just be recreated in the daw and the one track that needs the reverb delay etc. can be sourced by recording the main output.

1 Like

I must add its so amazing to make drum sounds with it. As long as you know what type of for example kick sound you’re after and you know how to do it you can get that sound. Did a really nice 808 kick tonight that sounds really good.

3 Likes

I was on the fence for a very long time. The below track changed my mind, and I was so impressed w/ the DN I bought a DT 5 weeks later. They both sound very good, but for now I prefer the DN, it also gets hotter so I’m guessing it’s working harder.
I mostly use them on the recliner w/ headphones, while the Mrs watches Little People and cooking programs on TV.

3 Likes

too late, sold it and bought a digitone.

don’t tell @papertiger. wait –

3 Likes

Substan is great with the Digitone! I wonder if he lurks on the forums here.

oh i meant tinny like tin

Boards of Off-Topic

Music has the right to children was special, but Geogaddi blew my mind all the way through.

1 Like

Thanks for saving me a step! :laughing:

2 Likes

Oh, my French mistake.
But same, it doesn’t have to sound tinny unless you want to :smiley:
The key is to go easy on the operator amount, and possibly tame the high harmonics with the (excellent) filter and distorsion.

I used to dislike FM sounds. But maybe you’re right and one has to embrace such sound to really appreciate the DN.

3 Likes

yeah me too, I used to have some rack tx stuff, but would only use it for 80s bass sounds… I love my digitone, its amazing, my point is I love the sequencer in the EMX… mostly because it is 8 bars… wish that all drum machines and grooveboxes werent 8 bars

1 Like
Blue Öyster Cult

I loved those albums too, but cult-like BoC megafans kinda made me a bit burned out on them… well, that and I listened to them almost daily in the early 2000s :smiley:

2 Likes

“PS: A4 MKII would be my weapon of choice if it could sequence MIDI or multiple CV tracks. I refuse to pay that amount of money in something with this kind of restriction. Sorry Elektron :”

I guess it doesn’t effect me because I do all my midi sequencing on my OT, but I recently got an A4mkii and am over the moon for it…amazing box

2 Likes

is this recorded straight from the outputs? what afterwork has been done to it? sounds sweet

Not my track. It’s by an artist named Substan. His Digitone stuff is phenomenal! Not sure how he processed.

ahh

I was trying out the DN in a store and listening to the factory patterns, still not sure it was for me. This one and “Resodrön” definitely help me decide!

It can sound rather analog if you want it too … :wink:

2 Likes