Digitone buying advice

So I was about to buy a DN but I’m on the fence rn

All the gear I have is analog and I love dry, raw analog sounds. But for now I’m looking for a small standalone groovebox and the DN got my attention.

I like how it sounds sometimes but I’m not a fan of metallic or glass-like FM sounds. It’s just not my cup of tea.

Not that I want it to sound analog, but there enough room for experimentation and sound design without getting to these more obvious FM sounds?

Thanks!

PS: A4 MKII would be my weapon of choice if it could sequence MIDI or multiple CV tracks. I refuse to pay that amount of money in something with this kind of restriction. Sorry Elektron :nej:

Video is not mine! Belongs to an artist name Substan.

This video showcases some of the sounds and textures you can get out of the Digitone. The DN has quite the Hi-Fi sound quality to it, but clever use of feedback, distortion, lfos and the lower settings of the operators can yield sounds that are more akin to Virtual Analog. Percussion is great on it as well!

6 Likes

There is, thanks to the subtractive parameters, the quality FX, and the slightly additive parameters. The onboard overdrive and distortion can (ironically) take the edge off.

It is a deep well of possibility.

This tune features Digitone for all synth work.

How many CV tracks do you need, exactly? You can send CV+Gate on two separate tracks with A4.

4 Likes

Out of all the fm stuff I have tries the DN is the easiest to tame into more usable sounds. The filter helps a lot to control the metallic/glassy fm sounds. You can also get some nice analog sounds out of it and step away from the very obvious FM sounding stuff.

The bass in this video is DN but its a sound id generally get from an analog.

1 Like

Yeah I hardly get harsh metallic sounds. You can get warm evolving sounds if you play with the envelopes. It’s very versatile. And you can do organs and stuff like like fairly easily.

1 Like

The FM bass in the DN is ace by the way. I love it! It can get that low sub bass or fun, playful mid bass.

2 Likes

yep, bass is sick on the DN. Only thing missing for me is portamento.

3 Likes

Agree with the bass sounds, big subs.

1 Like

My favorite DN demo:

Not much glass left, I guess :smiley:

© OpenMike :wink:

6 Likes

Why, thank you! It was played so much at NAMM - someone thought the melody was reminiscent of the Flintstones theme song, so we’ve referred it as that since.

5 Likes

EVERYONE STOP MAKING ME WANT A DAMN DIGITONE YES THIS IS A COMPLETE SENTENCE GEEZ.

Fine, periods.

4 Likes

No, get it, succumb to the GAS

^ Totally also a complete sentence.

7 Likes

For me, it’s just way too short, Roygbiv short :smile:

2 Likes

Sell a thing, get a Digitone !!
It’s such a beast !

There MUST be something worth it that you don’t really use that often…

1 Like

Yeah, my Digitakt. @dubathonic has it.

:laughing: :laughing:

But seriously… wanna buy a digitakt?

Hah, yeah - lots of people seem to hear a BoC influence in it. Honestly, haven’t listened to them much at all!
When listening to Roygbiv now (no, have not heard it before ehhhhh) it actually sounds pretty similar to some stuff that will be out on wax this year. Neat!

3 Likes

Please, consider adding to this bunch a decent lengthed Venta Black.

First thing I did when I got the DTone was to look for this pattern and play in on loop for about 10 minutes, only playing with muted and tweak+reload…

Btw, I totally love your Auvrel cassette, can’t wait for the next thing you put out.
And I love the way you designed the Digitone, you’re pretty talented, dear !

4 Likes

We should have a challenge here to finish the track!

Edit: Oh and super thanks for the kind words!! Blushing over here.

1 Like

At this point in time, BoC has become shorthand for “so strongly detuned it is almost but not quite out of tune”. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha, so true! I keep seeing their name pop up all over the place every time there is a pad or SH-101, much to my confusion.

2 Likes