Digitone buying advice

Let’s !

And get yourself “Music Has The Right To Children”, it’s my favorite.

5 Likes

"should I buy an electron digitone? "

elektron product forums says: “yes!”

but yeah its a good one… though I might recommend you buy a used Electribe EMX, it has a number of pros against the digitone, especially on a sequencer level, and none of the tinny sounding FM sounds

“Tiny sounding” :smile:
Have you ever tried it ? [ok, I see you have one]
The bass is strong on this one :wink:

I remember my first gig with it, I had never tried it on professional PA system.
I told my friend he had a bass way too huge, and it answered me I was the joker…
No, tiny sounding is surely not true.
Try it with every ratio set to 1/4 and a bit of operator amount…

Me in my best Nick Batt impression

But it doesn’t have PWM FM, now does it?

I’ve destroyed a sound system with a Digitone alone. No joke.

(Well, we hadn’t cut the bass properly either, but I assure those kicks were not for the faint of heart.)

7 Likes

They make good music, but are certainly a bit overused when referencing specific types of sounds. I guess they just have an easy to remember and easy to abbreviate name which makes them a good shorthand.

I once shattered a window with a sub bass patch I made on an Alpha Juno back in the 90s…

Taught me to never underestimate gear only because there’s no Moog logo on it.

7 Likes

What the!

1 Like

gonna need that patch

I don’t know. I’ve had the digitone for a year. It can create some sweet sounds, but I don’t particularly like programming it. I just don’t get it I guess, which means I’m too reliant on accidents, really. And the sequencer is kind of a pain in the ass too, especially for poly.

Just trying to suck your gas out a bit. :wink: I honestly think I’ll end up selling mine soon enough though, I just don’t get FM synthesis, I guess, and too lazy or uninterested to learn it.

Love mine, get one.

This is all digitone ran out via the beta drivers with a bit of processing

8 Likes

I’ll see if I can dig it up for ya. It’s a combination of the crazy PWM on the saw, high resonance, closing the filter until it’s allmost a sine, then add a tiny bit of chorus, if I remember correctly.

1 Like

Doooope.

1 Like

I kind of felt like that for a bit until I started dicking about with the LFOs, then I got into bonkers Tipper Squelch territory and far out sound design with it.
I find getting the very basics of a sound before heading over to the LFO section and setting very small amounts of depth and flicking through the LFO destinations can yield awesome results, and yes happy accidents.
I love mine now :loud_sound::+1:

4 Likes

may i ask how you recorded this track ? you said it was in one take …do you use a recorder ? or do you use a daw ? any mix and mastering after the take ? TX in advance

Loved it man! Unbelievable :heart_eyes:

Would you care to share some info about the sounds you are using?

I have had a drumatix also, lovely machine!

What the heck :open_mouth:

Totally banger! How do you got this timestrechy sound on DN?

It’s not my track, so I don’t know exactly how it was recorded. I imagine he manually muted / un-muted tracks and possible pattern chaining.

1 Like

Nice track! With the beta drivers are you tracking all the tracks separately into your daw? Or is this just the stereo outs?

1 Like

Time stretchy sound? The drone thing that runs through it? I had one trigger at the beginning of the pattern set to the “1st” condition and left the amp envelope release to inf so it just runs. Then I rember using one saw lfo on a fm depth. Can’t recall if it’s b or a and b and the second lfo was going to some other parameter at low audio rate like x512 or something. I can revisit the project if ya want. Lol

1 Like

Individual tracks eq, compression reverb etc were added in the daw later. The drop part is just that drone through a trance gate and a spring reverb

1 Like