Digitakt -vs- Rytm Mk2

What are your arguments for that?

Why do you think Digitakt is the better choice?

I love rytm’s perf. And scenes

I bought a rytm2 from kmr yesterday n put my DT up for sale. then they cancelled my order cause of some security error with my card :sleepy:
so no rytm for me just yet. gonna get one asap tho :snowboarder:

Not the same boat at all.
Rytm is far more immediate than OT, and the MK2 Rytm specifically is just as immediate as Digitakt, save for the two button track select that Rytm employs.

The main areas that Rytm is any more “divey” than Digitakt is in the features that Digitakt does not have: Kit Browser, Song mode, Scenes, Performance, etc.
With more depth available, one is allowed to dive. :wink:

4 Likes

(Is there a way to select a track on the DT with one button press that does not fire the sample?)

1 Like

No, it trk+track (1-8) to do that on the dt.

1 Like

Is it not that way on the rytm? Can you select a track without a key chord, without it firing?

So you’re saying the DT is basically a mistake, and I should regret not getting a Rytm instead?

I’m not saying I disagree, just wanting to clarify :wink:

A mistake?
No.

Just less featured, hence the smaller numbers on the price tag.

1 Like

Yes, you’re right, it thought it has more. The octa is the only with 16 banks?

I already have a RYTM Mk1 but I want it to have a buddy to tag along to. Do you recommend me getting a Rytm Mk2 or a Digitakt? I just want to know which one flows best out of the two machines? Who has a better sampler, etc,

my outlook is: if I had the rytm mk2, getting the digitakt wouldn’t really make any sense. so if you think you’re going to want analog drum synthesis, then yeah, getting the digitakt and then later rytm mk2 would similarly not make much sense (unless you sold dt to fund rytm). this all assumes you don’t need external midi sequencing, of course…

I gave the Digitakt a chance for a few months but I didn’t really click with it. I found I didn’t like the MIDI sequencer, but mostly I was really missing modulation features like parameter slide and velocity/aftertouch/breath modulations that I am used to as a long-time Rytm user. The control-all feature of the DT is fun, but not something that made up for the lack of any of those modulation features for me.

While I wish the Rytm had more dedicated sample tracks, I think you can do more with a sample on the Rytm than you can with the DT. I feel like you can get more “expressive” with sounds on the Rytm, where Digitakt is more about programming.

4 Likes

@panelist Thanks!

I like the ability on my AR2 to sample guitar parts, and then assign it to it’s own output - seperate from drums.

Can the RYTM mk2 use the Digitakt samples? Meaning can I use the Digitakt soundpacks on the RYTM II?

Are the AR MKII’s sample start and end parameters limited to whole numbers between 0 and 120, or does it have 2 decimals of precision like the DT’s sample start and length?

I assumed the new AR would have the same precision as the DT but haven’t been able to find a concrete answer.

1 Like

it is limited to whole numbers

2 Likes

Yes. The .wav files are compatible between devices.

The samples work on both but the projects/kits in a sound pack will depend on the sound pack. These details are made easily available on the sound pack pages at www.elektron.se

you want to look at what the sound pack was “formatted for”

examples:

4 Likes

Thanks!!!

1 Like

Out of curiosity, if I already have a Rytm 1, should I look into Octo mk2 instead of the digitakt or the Rytm II? I’m just looking for a companion to my Rytm 1