Digitakt -vs- Rytm Mk2

Yes, the same 1gb +drive in both machines - I’ve never run out of space before :slight_smile:

The 1 GB +Drive gives you nearly three hours of sample storage.

“Memory”, i.e. RAM, is 64MB (same as Rytm)
giving you just over eleven minutes of sampling time, per project.

3 Likes

Are you sure?, 1000mb divided by 128 projects is less than 8mb per project, 2mb samples are not uncommon so 4 long samples will fill a project at that rate.

100% positive.
Up to 64MB per project.
Up to 128 projects can be saved on the +Drive.
You don’t have to use it all. But if you did, you would run out of fully loaded 64MB projects before you ran out of +Drive space.

2 Likes

So worst case about 16 projects if you fill them up with unique samples. Not that I do but if you do like working with lots of long samples you will run out of +drive pretty quick.

I hear you. That is exactly why I got an OT MK2. 64GB and streaming off the card.
It’s a big investment but I have no regrets.

3 Likes

The OT does have a lot of appeal but I just know it would be too confusing for me to enjoy, like other Elektron gear it seems to need a fair bit of mental preperation before you can move forward where as I am someone who needs easier access to a starting point, from which I can then explore.
Digitakt with a card would have been sweet if possibly a little fragile but I think if full backup comes the +drive size of the digitakt will be ample.

the rytm mkII also has freeze issues…

I’m on my second AR2. My first one was freezing quite a bit, so it was returned and exchanged for another unit. My second AR2 has been very stable (other than a couple minor bugs), and I’m totally loving it.

1 Like

Just bought a Digitakt, 2 days ago, and love the way it samples and its workflow.

Always been after a sample mangler, and left the complexity of the Octatrack as I heard its a bit of a step into Elektron gear.

However I have just seen the Analog Rytm Mk11 which I thought was more of an analog drum machine, but now see it samples too!

Is there a comparison between this and the Digitakt?

I know the price difference, but wonder if I should have traded up to the Analog Rytm Mk11? is it now classed as a sampler, and the bigger brother of the Digitakt?

It looks like it has more in’s, maybe stereo input for other monitoring sources (a bug bear on the Digitakt) and a larger screen? maybe longer sample times? The parameter locks etc with start times within one sample, are the things i love on the Digitakt…

Or is the Digitakt, the quick and easy sampler of the range? Sorry to ask, but am new to Elektron gear but am very impressed with what i see…

So, I will try to make a quick comparison. On the first look, the Rytm mk2 seems to be a bigger and better version of the Digitakt. In some ways this is true, but otherwise there are some differences.

What the Rytm has and the Digitakt not:

• more banks per project
  • kits
  • 8voices spread over 12 tracks
  • FX-Track
  • pads with different modes
  • pattern change modes (direct start, direct jump, etc)
  • song mode
  • obviously an analog drum engine with many different machines and even a bass synth
  • analog filter and overdrive
  • scenes and performances modes
  • external ins, but just play through, no fx or pan or so
  • individual outs for each voice
  • control ins
  • something I forgot

What the Digi has and the Rytm not

• better display, but the Rytm’s also nice
  • no kits
  • control all function
  • sample playback reverse parameter
  • visual sample mangling
  • bpm per pattern, Rytm’s bpm is global
  • 8 miditracks
  • something forgot again

The sampling and playback is very similar besides that visual thing, which I kind of miss on the Rytm.
The Digitakt is less deep then the Rytm but sometimes less can be much more fun. You just don’t have to think about so much stuff while using the digitakt.
But the Rytm is also much fun. The pattern change modes, direct jump is awesome.

I hope this was helpful. Please correct me if I forget something or wasn’t right.

2 Likes

(mod action, threads merged)

IMO, the main differences that really jump out to me is the lack of a song mode (or the ability to save pattern chains) on the DT, and the individual outs on the AR2.

I’m guessing the pads on the rytm are velocity sensitive.

I’m guessing the rytm can do a “roll” in like 16th 32nd notes.

I’d love to get a rytm one day it’s just double the price of a DT.

The one thing I love about the DT that I didn’t find to be the same with the OT was the immediacy.

If the rytm is in the same boat as the OT in taking some menu diving to start a pattern I could see that being a plus for the DT.

All in all it seems the RYTM is a Digitakt with an actual synth engine and individual outs.

The delay and reverb on the Digitakt is nice but it’ll be much easier to process rytm sounds with outboard gear than it would be on a Digitakt

the digitakt can do rolls via retrigs. :slight_smile:

your thinking is correct. Rytm is flexible drum synthesiser like Vermona DRM or Nord Drum, incorporating also Digitakt style sampler and Elektron sequencer. Digitakt is sampler and does not do synthesis. Thats the main difference.
The other big element is the user interface. Rytm has MPC style pads. Digitakt has on-off triggers. Different interface requires different skillz. If you dont have the skillz, bigger box with more functions won’t help you.

Rytm can’t sequence external midi?

No.

2 Likes

the dt and the rytm both have banks a-h per project for patterns

Or are you talking about sounds?
The rytm +drive Has more sound banks

Thanks for the answers here, and I realise that I made the right decision, with the Digitakt. :slight_smile: