Digitakt -vs- Rytm Mk2

Depends - how do you like to work with samples and/or MIDI?

See I love my RYTM 1. Iā€™ve been wanting another one since I play live with it as well (use it for production and live performance). I thought to myself, since I have so many projects (songs), why not have another RYTM to bounce back and forth, since I canā€™t change the projects when I play live without having dead air while changing projects. Then I said, hmmmm why not get a sampler so when I change projects in RYTM 1, there will be something else playing. I also have a Tempest.

A stereo looper and mixer would suffice for such transitions.
I used to use a Pigtronix Infinity with a small mixer and it did the trick. Boss rc-202 also works.

1 Like

Can the Octa be used as a drum machine, similar to the Digitakt or better yet, the RYTM? Or similar to the old MPCs?
Someone told me that you can only have a single ā€œhitā€ per track?

OT can do sample locks per step the same as the DT, plus it can slice long samples so you can load long chains and change samples within a track that way. Throw in scenes and FX and you have a pretty solid drum machine on your hands.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply!

Thanks to the advanced sequencers, every Elektron with a sequencer can serve as a drum machine. Sample locks and sound locks push these machines far.

Been using Digitone and OT both as stand alone drum machines lately, and my Rytm as bass/lead synth. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

The tracks on the OT are monophonic and not paraphonic. This is where the one hit per track confusion stems from. A sample will get cut off by the next step in the same track with a sample placed on it. So you can have several sample on a track but they will not ā€œoverlapā€ one another.

1 Like

THERE IS

OMG

Itā€™s perhaps a ā€œhackā€ but ā€¦ if you select EXT only, in MIDI settings, for Trigs, and if you can cope with the DT sending MIDI notes out the USB/DIN MIDI when you press the trig keys ā€¦ then you get what I wanted!

Now I can select tracks on the DT (without a key chord) without the sound firing.

Settings / MIDI config / Port config / Trig Key Dest / EXT

Itā€™s the little things ^^

1 Like

I purchased the analog Rytm and also the digitakt I didnā€™t realise the similarities and how close they are, Iā€™ve got a good price offer from someone to buy it,
Iā€™ve already got the AR, A4, Ot, and DNā€¦
I donā€™t seem to use the digitakt as much as all the rest.
Anyone else sell a digitakt because they have a Rytm?

Iā€™m keeping mine in case I want additional sampler tracks wrapped around an Elektron sequencer when I run out on the Rytm. Limitations are great but I also need the ability to break out when the (almost) perfect track needs just a few more inches (or millimeters).
Also for the dedicated MIDI tracks.

I do have an OT so I may find myself reaching for the OT instead. Time will tell but Iā€™m in no hurry. I suck at selling gear. I almost always regret it down the road. Instead I have a closet full of gear and shelves on the wall full of gear.

1 Like

I might let it go because spent too much and need the cash at moment,
otherwise would just keep it even though itā€™s not getting much use,
can get another one down the track again if I feel I need them extra tracksā€¦

If you use a DAW, OB with the DT and midi tracks would be quite portable/powerful.

1 Like

Yeah true, but Octatrack can do that also and digitone so wont need the midi tracks

Oh you have an OT (Midi) and a DN (OB/Midi), yea makes sense!

1 Like

The Digitakt would work perfect for this. It would do everything you described above and itā€™s smaller yet fits nicely next to the RYTM MK I. The sampler is easy to use and sounds amazing. The OT would be a good choice as well but a lot more complex and confusing to get your head around. There is a steeper learning curve with the OT.

1 Like

I ended up getting the Octa mkII :wink:
Zero regrets

3 Likes

I recently did this, consolidated from mkI Rytm and DT to mkII Rytm, main reason for me was the LEDs on DT specifically the mute which I never liked, I am very happy to have 1 less box. The Rytm sample playback has some differences from DT, but since I mainly use it for 1 shots and synth samples not a problem for me, if I want to do more advanced sample mangling I use the Octatrack.

3 Likes

Yeah same, the way the mutes work i canā€™t get used too
Especially when using a couple other elektron boxes it gets a bit much.
I prefer the Rytm mutes and now Iā€™ve worked out you can do per pattern mutes just by switching off the trigs so itā€™s the same as the purple mutes without all the button combos

1 Like

All the button combos? Arenā€™t there just two on the DT? The DT mutes are very simple to use. Asking because I see people talking about the DT mutes as confusing pretty regularly, but thereā€™s really not much to them at all.