Digitakt -vs- Rytm Mk2

Hmmm. After watching the Rytm videos am I correct that you don’t have access to the waveforms after sampling on the Rytm mk II and you don’t have loop point control as on the Digitakt?

Those are some of the coolest features on the Digitakt, and essential to me. They basically give you the ability to do quick non-destructive sample chopping after you have the samples in the machine and allow for really awesome sound design. They are also the basis for how I compose tracks.

don’t have loop point control as on the Digitakt

MANUAL is ONLINE btw
If it’s not included when shipping, that doesn’t mean they will not add that later in a firmware upgrade.

But there’s a Loop switch and Start and End point maybe with retrig, amp env and Lfo you can do something to match your ideas.

The omission makes me think it’s one way they are trying to differentiate the two machines. Could easily be added but perhaps not for a while.

I’m pretty happy with my Digitakt, so I’d probably go for an A4 mkii to pair with it, rather than the Rytm mkii. Rytm still looks really interesting though.

1 Like

Absolutely not what i think, first it was not on the RYTM Mk1 and also it’s a Drum Machine so it’s better at one shot. The sample layer is a sample player… so in a way it’s limitation, it’s not a Sampler Layer… The Digitakt is a sampler and not a synth (generator). We can’t have it all.

A4 MK2 is awesome :wink: Good combination @DimensionsTomorrow

1 Like

I think we are saying the same thing (maybe?): Rytm is more focused on layering samples with analog drums, Digitakt is more of a traditional sampler/sample mangler.

1 Like

Probably yes…

i just insist a bit not against you but because few people complain in the way of crippled device (they want one groovebox) But Elektron is dedicated and more powerful device so a Drum Machine is different and unique opposed to a sampler, a synth… that was always the case for every device. Same form factor doesn’t mean same device but just same form factor.

Again not against you.

1 Like

I for one hope they differentiate the machines. Would be boring to have two machines in the lineup that can basically do the same thing.

2 Likes

i can not be more agree with that :wink:
Good Night @DimensionsTomorrow

1 Like

I also have this sneaking suspicion (hope) that they will add some drum synthesis a la machinedrum to the Digitakt. My reasons are (1) the machine says drum computer & sampler and (2) I always found it weird that they would label the buttons with drum sounds underneath when you can put anything on those buttons.

Again just holding out hope. Lol.

2 Likes

I just want the GND engines from the MD. They can keep the rest- those were a blast

2 Likes

Or better yet, something totally different, but equally cool. Again, differentiate the machines. This way no Elektron users get their feelings hurt. Lol.

1 Like

all new physically informed (P-I) algorithms for each drum sound would be :fire:

2 Likes

True story. I’ve even loaded some Adventure Kids single cycles in there without having tried any of the factory library.

I’ll have to elect the next few days to actually give the factory sounds a go

1 Like

I understand that the samples will be routed through the analog filters on Rytm but I wonder if the underlying sound of the sample engine has the same hi fidelity quality that the Digitakt sample engine has.

They both run at 24/48000, whereas the OT runs 16or24/44100…
Rytm samples sound great through the analog components, I haven’t heard a DT in person to hear it’s highest quality, only through videos so can’t fairly compare.

I have a hunch they’re two slightly different but equally yummy flavors that your taste buds have to choose which you’d prefer…

The Rytm seems to have its own special flavor of sample thru analog, I find it very pleasing.
I’m speaking of mk1, but there’s been no mention of fidelity differences on the mk2…

2 Likes

I’m deciding between these two (admittedly outstanding) machines. Initially I leaned toward a Digitakt + Analog Heat combination, but I wonder about the extent to which the the ARmkII handles both duties, i.e., analog processing of digital samples. The ARmkII would cost less than the Digitakt and Heat, and it includes pads and individual outs.

Reminds me on the Waldorf Rocket not having a volume knob. Quite a strange and stupid design decision …

1 Like

So i’m wondering; if i read correctly the sampling itself is similar between both machines? also the available memory to save samples? and only mono? cheers!

I have both and they seem very similar if not the same for sampling. I think they both sample in mono. The Rytm 2 is generally the more capable machine of course though.

@jkbrogan - Using the DT with Heat does produce great results though. The Heat’s analog processing is more capable than the Rytm 2.

thanks Jimbo! anyone know how much ‘own’ drum samples you can load on the RYTM? (how many gb)? is the sampling memory the same as that +drive in the digitakt?