Digitakt -vs- Rytm Mk2

If I had to choose one or the other, Rytm MK2. Kit browser and kit load are crucial for me.

4 Likes

Yeah, one or the other- definitely the MkII. It just covers the most ground. Mk1 + DT covers more than that.

I donā€™t know what the sampling workflow of the MKII(obviously) but it would be hard pressed to beat the Strom workflow for preparing live samples for use. Even If itā€™s the same workflow as DT- it merely competes/on par with the workflow of Strom. If resampling is possible for the MKI- then no competition, MKI + DT is the clear winner

where are you located? Country-wise

Personally I lean digitaktā€¦ despite some bugs being worked out and still waiting on overbridge. I think they both can sound really good but the effort it takes to make the digitakt sound great is almost none at all and it has much more potential to me as far as interfacing with other gear goes. Does Rytm have per pattern BPM yet? This is kind of a big annoyance to me, sure you can play around it but for the love of god elektron give all your machines per pattern BPM!! I also love the way the chromatic mode works on the digitakt easy and fun to play with out an external keyboard, oddly inspiring to meā€¦ but when you do have the external keys in it works beautifully as well.

2 Likes

I forgot that I started this thread. I ended up just preordering a Rytm MKII. I think the DT sounded great, but the glitchiness/crashing/freezing would cause me to be nervous any time I was using it for a show. Also, I have my doubts about whether Elektron will ever add a song mode/savable pattern chains to the DT.

Donā€™t want to rain on your parade but the Rytm Mk2 might be crashing and having all kinds of bugs as well doesnā€™t it?

Not that hat should stopp you from pre-ordering. Iā€™m VERY tempted to buy one myself.

1 Like

It could be the same for any AR/A4/OT mk2. There is a reason they are not released today, most likely because the software is not ready.

I can believe it.
It costs half as much as Elektron instruments that have these features.

1 Like

Iā€™m hoping MKII status means this isnā€™t the case.

One thing DTā€™s got going for it at the moment is the painless sample transfer, whereas Rytmā€™s transfer still based on C6 is slow and error prone. Really p#ssed me off big time last night when moving Goldbaby 808/909 to both devices. Elektron need to fix this in time for MK2.

1 Like

SDS drop is so smooth and easy and awesome for transferring samples to Rytm. Check it out. Itā€™s worth it.

1 Like

That suggestion still leaves us PC cowboys in the rain.

As much as I love my Rytm, sample handling still sucks.

1 Like

I use SDS drop to assign individual samples straight to pads. But does it do bulk transfer of a couple dozens of samples without immediately assigning them?

1 Like

If memory serves, yeah. You just gotta drop them in the background

2 Likes

yep, iā€™ve dropped many samples on the same slot and it just goes into the memory.

quick thought.

surely when rytm 2 comes out with extra sampling features , overbridge would be ready to deal with the new features , and in turn the features on digitakt might benefit too ?

or do we think rytm 2 will come out with no new software/support for new features (i.e managing samples in overbridge , uploading samples back to pc / mac etc).

sure they wouldnt want 2 x new machines with software that is still in progress.
or will new rytm be as basic as digitaktā€¦ ? costing so much more would people be happy?.

end of thought. interesting times

1 Like

Hmmā€¦ isnā€™t overbridge still supposed to be the end of the year on the Digitakt? with sample management and all that jazz? I thought I read somewhere that the Mk2 units other than the Octa were getting pushed back into next year? maybe I dreamed this,

DT really needs a way to delete stuff in bulk currently thoughā€¦ as you canā€™t delete a folder filled with stuff meaning if you are well organized with folders deleting stuff becomes a massive chore. Kinda sillyā€¦ its sounds like over bridge sample management will sort that out though.

Buy RYTM MKI for cheap now thanks to MKII and youā€™ll get Overbridge Premium for free. With what you saved buy DT^^
Iā€™ve found a brand new RYTM MKI with the bag/lid for 40% less than the retail price. This amount is exactly what I need to buy DT(Iā€™m still waiting because of the bugs).
This should still be less expensive than buying a RYTM MKII. Obviously, I wonā€™t get all the new outs or better pads/screen but everything else should be covered by DT.

1 Like

Digitakt with Overbridge is going to be so freaking cool that at the more affordable price point and with the small amount of real estate it takes on your desk, I think you should go for that. Plus you can get it now. The Rytm wonā€™t be around until late this year or early next year says Sweetwater.