Digitakt -vs- Rytm Mk2

Well the Digitakt was a brand spanking new machine, the AR2 will be an updated version of an old machine - hopefully there aren’t near as many problems with the AR2 as there has been with the DT.

Doesn’t matter the cost, Elektron said there would be a viable option to not having song mode. For those of you who are just knob twiddlers, that might not be a big omission, for others who are playing guitars, singing, drumming, etc - it’s a big thing to be missing.

1 Like

im not sure why this keeps coming up as an issue. there is an option when you are browsing the sample folders to select all samples in the folder which can then be deleted, and then the folder can be deleted. It really not all that hard but i keep seeing i mentioned as an issue. why do people have such a problem with one simple extra step.

Viable is a pretty subjective word, unfortunately.

Viable for some would be the current pattern chain implementation, for others it needs further development.

Viable for some is using a midi cable and midi tracks with conditional midi trigs p-locking DT’s own PGM change parameter into itself, and finding their solution that way. For others, that is too complex.

1 Like

For me I have folders in folders in folders so it adds 6 steps to something that should be 1… it’s not the end of the world but I have been spreading out my deleting my more organized samples because I’ve actually spend probably an hour+on just deleting/organization. Not great also not the end of the world

1 Like

i guess my thinking is as soon as folder delete is an option there will be a bunch of threads about how do i recover the samples that were accidentally deleted. im super organized with my samples, probably more so than most so folders withing folders tends not to come up to for me once the samples are transferred to the digi.

1 Like

Wouldn’t not having folders within folders make you less organized? I guess maybe now with the knowledge I have now I know to avoid loading in well organized stuff and just individual folders. For me I have a fair amount of Maya and Website building background and it has made me pretty anal about having good folder hierarchy as with out it those things flat out break without it. Digitakt feels like it is punishing me for being organized. I think they should have just not let you transfer in folder hierarchies if they don’t let you delete them, heck they don’t even let you move a folder that is full of stuff meaning you have to make a folder with the same or similar name then select all the files in it transfer then do the same for all the folders that you had. A simple dialog box of are you sure you want to delete this should be enough to protect accidental deletion I still think overbridge will resolve this but until then its a bit of a pain… that has cost me lots of time for something that should be immediate. I really love the digitakt but not being able to move or delete folders with stuff in them seems straight up silly to me.

as a maya and website builder you should understand working within a certain structure. Learning how the digi handles and stores samples is something i took time to learned before just dumping a large amount of sample onto the machine, organized or not. the samples are organized according to how the digi workflow handles it best. not a bunch of directories with sub directories that will be hard to manage. organization isn’t a rigid idea, different individuals are organized in different ways. organization according to environment is one way.

also, there is no computer in my studio so i design my workflow differently than one that would have immediate access to a computer in the studio. part of no studio computer is learning to make the digi function how i need it to without the reliance on the eventual overbridge integration.

1 Like

I find it is easiest to find an access my samples when they are in folder hierarchies even on the digitakt. Obviously moving them around is not easy. There is really no reason that the file system shouldn’t be better other than taking the time to program it. I actually ran into a pretty nasty bug that would be solved if I could delete a folder but as it is now the only option would be to wipe the entire digitakt and with no way to back it up would mean at this point hundreds of lost hours. Basically your folder can become bugged and you will no longer be able to access any files with in it unless they are already in a project and then they can play fine. You can’t delete the folder and load the samples because you can’t get access to the files within it to delete them. Luckily there was only a few samples in that folder otherwise I would have been forced to delete and completely restart from scratch everything I had done on my digitakt since launch. Hopefully we see a way to back up are work soon.

The thing is one folder deep organizing is how moving stuff works best on the digitakt but there is no real point to moving things if it is just one folder deep because the level of organization is at root level. The built in factory samples go 4 folders deep and you tell me they designed it to work 1 folder deep? Not really sure why you are white knighting something that is clearly currently flawed. There are actual reasons behind why there is file hierarchy in programming in animation and in webdesign. The digitakt is just down to movement issues to define how you organize your work and fundamentally means you just leave it organized at a minimal level fundamentally. The current way it works is just not great and I hope to see it improved.

*probably not really the thread for this conversation anyways as it is supposed to be for conversation about the Digitakt vs the Rytm Mk2… personally I love digitakt even with some issues it is mostly a breeze to use and it takes next to no work for it to sound great.

Lol, not white knighting the machine. It’s actually quite flawed. Especially, the MIDI is trash. I just don’t understand people’s gripes about the current file system, which is not even an issue. Can’t delete directories fine, not that hard to go into the director press the right arrow and select all then delete and delet the directory after that. It’s definitely not the issue you are making it out to be.

Edit: see you had a bug, assuming your bug gets fixed in future update I stand by my opinion of the file system. Without your bug it’s not that bad.

Song modes and pattern chaining (with memory) is pretty universally standard on most sequencers and drum machines. Using “work arounds” like patching the DT’s midi back to itself is like saying that using a camera to take photos of your settings is a viable option to not having presets on a machine.

I’m picturing buying a guitar that doesn’t have a volume knob, and someone on a forum telling me that it’s no big deal, just get a volume pedal.

2 Likes

There will always be someone to voice the old adage “where there’s a will, there’s a way”. Especially on forums where folks come seeking solutions.

1 Like

For me too, no song mode is a deal breaker.
I think I should be able to PG the DT with the AR?
But even so, the DT is like a big stompbox for guitar that can play rythm. It’s perfect for guitarist/singers that play in small venue as it’s small to carry around and feels like a stompbox. Having it depends on its big brother to play songs is sad. Elektron could rich more people with a song mode feature that they already have implemented in A4/AR. I hope they will add it!

2 Likes

perhaps get DIgitakt plus Octatrack MK2 instead? For 2k have both drum machine and nextgen sequencer/sampler? That would replace my Ableton and laptop setup and make it easier to perform live with my guitar and synthesizer as well.

Has anyone heard any updates on release dates for the AR2? Someone on another forum said that they were told by a dealer that they wouldn’t be coming out until December or January.

My dealer said, first week of december

:cry:

I thought it would be coming out in October (I have one preordered through Sweetwater). I’m fine with it coming out later if it means it will have the majority of the bugs fixed and the unit works as it should.

That was a pretty good analogy

1 Like

Thanks, that indeed did the trick. Those samples sound banging on both machines.

1 Like