Digitakt -vs- Rytm Mk2

Yea, they definitely could have thought the whole protective cover thing through betteršŸ¤”

Protective Cover Mk II :thinking:

6 Likes

I wonder if everybody using those lids have chipping paint or that the powder coating was done badly on some units. If I were to buy a brand new Elektron machine + Elektron lid and the lid damages my machineā€™s paint I would claim it as warranty.

Personally the price is way too high for a piece of plastic and I bought a small flight case instead. Itā€™s cheaper and provides better protection than the PL-2s and can double as stand too :sunglasses:

3 Likes

This is a super interesting topic.

Iā€™m thinking about selling my Rytm and Octatrack to get the Rytm MkII. Reasons:

• I love the workflow on the Rytm, but I just wish it had sampling.
  • I almost never use timestretching on the OT
  • I donā€™t care about stereo
  • I can do great midi sequencing from the monomachine

The counter-arguments:

• Slices are awesome
  • Scenes/crossfader is awesome
  • I havenā€™t had the OT for that long and donā€™t feel like Iā€™ve really explored it fully yet

The digitakt just doesnā€™t appeal to me in the same way.

4 Likes

@digiras

Fuuuuuuuuuck! Some idiot smashed the window out of my car yesterday and jacked my iPad pro, Zoom Q2n, new CremeCaffe stand, and some money in the same bag.

I feel your pain now. Luckily the idiot was super stooopid and didnā€™t see the digitakt sitting right under it! or any of the other gear in the car.

Damn, Thats Fucked-Up!! Muthafunkaz wonā€™t let you have Shit nowadaysā€¦ Or has it always been Soā€‹:thinking: Hoping for a Better Tomorrow 4Uā€‹:raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed::blue_heart:

2 Likes

Should I wait for the new Analog Rytm MKII or get a Digitakt? What are the pros and cons of each drum machine?

Digtakt is a sampler/sequencer, RYTM is a synthesizer/sampler/sequencer with advanced features. the RYTM MKII is more than twice the priceā€“1549 USD vs. 679 USD

The Digitakt is easy/portable, the RYTM mk II is less so. Do you want to make music now?

Check out the ā€œHighlightsā€ of each:

Personally I am learning toward a Digitakt plus the new Octatrack MKII when it comes out rather than buying just the Rytm MKII. I can hookup the Digitakt to the Octatrack for sequencing and sampling recording purposes and add in my Microkorg synth. That would replace my laptop for live gigs.

1 Like

I had a Digitakt, but it permanently froze so it got returned. I thought it sounded great though. Instead of getting a replacement DT, I just preordered a Rytm MKII. All the updates on it and the individual outs sold me on it. Being able to run drums plus a bassline off of the same machine was a big plus for me.

4 Likes

DT is a great gateway drug into the Elektron universe, but as others have pointed out before, Rytmā€™s synthesis capabilities make it an infinitely deeper monster. I really fear that with added resampling capabilities the MK2 package will be very hard to resist. Just the option to build up chord stabs and pads from single cycles (which you can also do on the DT) or the internal synthesis engines will be really tempting for me.

3 Likes

The Digitakt is a straight to the point kind of device. I doubt you would get that same simplicity with a RYTM mk2.

However, you will get more desirable features with the RYTM than what the Digitakt can offer.

If you need something to just make beats by sampling and tweaking parameters on the go, Digitakt got your back. But if you donā€™t mind a learning curve and got the patience, the RYTM will reward you 10 fold than the DT.

Digitakt is like a Roland SP while RTYM is more flagship orientated of an MV8800.

Choice is yours.

Other than that, personally, the pads of the RTYM looks like plastic than rubber.

I saw an sp-505, which was my first sampler, today for $86! And it was in great condition. I almost got it but realized my digitakt is the same thing but better.

Still, Iā€™ll probably go back and grab it on payday if itā€™s still there. Lol

4 Likes

because i knew id not use everything on the rytm and feel far more immediate with the smaller machine. i do have a plan to get money saved so that i could own both but for now my mind is simply blown with what i can get done with such a reasonably priced excellently built powerhouse the digitakt.

Digitakt is missing a lot of features compared to the Analog Rytm mk1 (apart from the obvious ones).

• Performance mode
  • Scene mode
  • Sound pool and sound locks
  • Velocity and pressure sensitive pads
  • Pattern modes (direct start, jump and Sequential)
  • Sequencer parameter slides, trig mutes
  • Persistent song and chain modes
  • Dedicated fx track
  • Separate outputs (no need for overbridge for multitracking)
  • Master compressor
  • 7 different filter types

Digitakt strength is the midi tracks compared to the Analog Rytm.

Analog Rytm Mk2 will likely contain a very similar sampling features as the Digitakt + a lot of other stuff but Iā€™m guessing midi out from the sequencer wonā€™t ever happen.

Digitakt sounds really good, Analog Rytm however has an analog signal path that gives another flavor to samples that I like a lot.

2 Likes

I also forgot to mention the lack of song mode on the DT. That was another big factor that led me to choosing preordering the AR2 instead of a replacement DT. I still canā€™t believe that Elektron hasnā€™t put in a song mode or the ability to save pattern chains after the DT is powered off.

I have seen a few quotes of Rytm MK2 having ā€œresamplingā€.
I have not seen anywhere where Elektron explicitly mentions this as a feature, only ā€œsamplingā€.

Sure, resampling is possible (in fact, on DTā€™s advertisements, that wording is never used either), but not necessarily a given. We donā€™t know yet. And I think itā€™s important to keep expectations inline with what we DO know, and what HAS been advertised as new features.

Also, below this line

/

(mod action, threads merged)

I had bought and received a Digitakt which I ended up have to return because it bricked itself after updating to 1.03. Iā€™m still waiting for stock to arrive so that I can get a replacement.

Since Iā€™m waiting this long already, I started thinking that maybe I should just get the new Rytm mkII instead.

Does the Rytm mkII basically do all the things the Digitakt does, plus what the original Rytm does?

Is anyone else trying to decide between the two units?

Thereā€™s a different sound to the samples coming out(Iā€™m thinking I prefer the sound of the DT, actually).

DT lacks the Performance macros the RYTM has. Rytm lacks the cntrl-all(at least without Voidā€™s Strom app).

Granular appears easier on the DT due to the start/length parameters, where Rytm has Start and End.

I canā€™t say how the sampling on the Rytm will be, Iā€™ve heard it will be similar to dampling on the DT, which is pretty cool.

And Void is coming out with something where you can send samples wirelessly from an iPhone to the DT(connected to a computer)-(on the Rytm its currently an iPad).

Iā€™m pretty interested in the destinations available for the CV/Expression inputs. That could make some neat stuff if start/end are on the list.

If midi control isnā€™t a big deal then it depends on how much you actually use the sampling features, when I had the AR MK1 I found myself not using the OT as much as I used to (although there are plenty of things it can/could still be used for). The layering on the AR was mostly what did it for me, so the OT became more of a master controller for the other devices and fx/mixer. Course now that I donā€™t have the AR anymore, the OT is back to being ALL THE THINGS

Another thing to note is that pre-orders have been filling up on the AR so getting one in late October would be lucky if you are just pulling the trigger now. Might want to check with the reps from where ever you buy.

1 Like