Digitakt -vs- Rytm Mk2

So sorry that happened. Ugh.

1 Like

You’re awesome! :grinning:

4 Likes

Fair enough. Personally I’d just be surprised if Elektron totally integrated all the sample shaping options of the Digitakt into the RYTM MKII. Elektron’s MO has tradtionally been almost zero overlap between machines. While they are very different price points it could still potentially hurt Digitakt sales if the RYTM MKII did every the Digitakt did in regards to sampling.

Imagine if the Digitakt was $499 USD… many more people would buy it, and the fact that the new RYTM has the same feature wouldn’t matter, because it’s expensive as f*ck.

I feel like a sucker for buying the half-size lid for $50. Can’t believe they charge that much, when it’s half the size of the other lids. Ridiculous.

3 Likes

I’m about 50/50 that it could happen.

The analog devices, evident in the kits/sounds sysex, support hi-res 2-byte values for all parameters already. It’s just that with most parameters the 2nd byte is unused.

Unless the higher res somehow would need significantly more CPU time to process, hi-res support for the sample playback parameters could be added - it’s mostly a UI thing.

About UI: MK2 display seems to be the same res as the DT one, so I guess we can expect a reworking of the UI anyway… plus, it gets the same hi-res encoders (tweaking hi-res params on A4/AR doesn’t feel very good/precise at all, guess it’s the main reason they’re not used often)

the DT sample loop modes etc is superior in every way…

the old behavior could be kept as “legacy” sample playback mode, we’ve seen this happen before with other parameters…

5 Likes

It wouldn’t surprise me if the AR mk2 can do all the DT can do, it lacks midi out so enough differences left. The AR mk1 has the same board/cpu as the DT. I wonder if the AR mk2 will have the same board or an upgraded one.

I wonder if they fixed the Q.Start :stuck_out_tongue:

Insured?

Thank You Good Sir! I appreciate the Offer, But I’m All Good in that type of equipment area👍Things are Already taking a Turn for the better. I managed to Hustle up the loot to by another one😎

5 Likes

Yes that whole Lid thing does kinda make you feel punked. Even though I only paid $30🤔

1 beer on me. Pm your paypal.

1 Like

I would not trade my AR for a DT. The synthesis section is so powerful, alone with the noise generator and the analog filter you can build amazing percussion and hihat sounds. Single cycle waveforms that get a little overdrive bite in the filter can transform the AR into a synthesizer. I find the possibilities endless and would not miss trade that for “only” a sampler. My idea: get a mk1 AR and put a digitakt next to it for midi sequencing and more sampling options. They look cool next to each other (theses times are over with the new “design”).

2 Likes

Don’t forget to put the original piece of plastic wrap paper between device and protective lid each time otherwise at some point the paint [ MAY ] start to disappear :wink: That’s what i have done since day one on my Elektron Device (the black one) and mine is in perfect cosmetic condition. I have friends here where paint starting to disappear and i’ve warned them… they didn’t listened and now regret to haven’t.

NB : you can cut another piece of plastic (or other material) to make things faster rather to put the gear in the plastic then put the LID protective. Just a square of plastic to protect the gear edges is sufficient.

1 Like

where did they mentioned this? i asked them the same question via Mail already because i was assuming that the Rytm will get the Sampling Capability from the DT and not more! so far however: they have not replied!

So - where do you got this information from?

1 Like

This is way above my head, but I’ll take your word for it : )

I mean, even if Elektron did add the whole Digitakt sampling engine to the RYTM MKII, the Digitakt still has MIDI sequencing of external devices where the RYTM doesn’t and won’t (?)–and that is and will be huge for a lot of people.

1 Like

@umonox . Jon replied that in the thread : introducing-analog-four-analog-rytm-mkii

4 Likes

thank you @William_WiLD my friend :wink: Im still waiting for a reply from them. Got some other questions too. But i almost assume that they keep silence on these topics :smiley:

1 Like

I wonder if the Rytm mk2 sampling will be mono or stereo :ghost:

You can also dull the inner edge of the plastic lip that rests on/around the top/sides of the Digitakt. I ran a piece of wood/paper along the edge, effectively dulling/smoothing the rough inner edge.

I use a couple of heavy duty rubber bands to keep the lid in place for travel… it’s kind of lame that Elektron doesn’t include a strap or anything to keep the lid fastened to the Digitakt.

It’s absurd that you have to use an extra layer (plastic bag etc.) to protect the Digitakt from the “protective” lid.

3 Likes

I guess the protective LID is more there to protect knobs, buttons, screen for travel (shock, friction…) etc… But yeah with time factor i think at first it probably make the paint to fade out on the edges and i kind of adjoin another layer of protection a more cosmetic one. Anyway… think it worth it at the end