Digitakt vs. Octatrack

Yeah, I was just saying that from the list of suggested uses that Elektron gave that you quoted… Use as a chromatic instrument was obvs not high on the agenda.

Not the same as polyphonic drumkit on one track…

Yeah probably true. But lot of fun/weird possibilities in playing sample as chords or percussive loops polyphonically. Op1 is killer for this, even without timestrech. I’m not suggesting using it as a piano or string section :wink: it would add to the madness which is what OT is all about :wink:

Still, I think the DT will be a nice box at a decent price.
Honestly, if Elektron were to put all the OT features in a box utilizing the new DT hardware + updated fx, conditional trigs, etc. and called that an OT mk2, I would buy it immediately.

3 Likes

Wow, this place blows up on a saturday. I am not rich and spending $1000 on a used OT vs. waiting 2 months to get a DT to be the hub of my live set was the reason I started this topic. I just can’t waste cash on a difficult to learn sampler that is a bit out-dated. I realize it’s still a sweet machine so it’s just bad timing in my part…and a hard decision.

Pioneer and Akai are just NOW somewhat catching up.

3 Likes

Out dated :joy::joy::joy: The OT is timeless!

8 Likes

An OT will still be able to make mind bending creatively original music 20 years from now as long as it still turns on…

9 Likes

Seems like you might want to wait and try a Digitakt, or at least wait until more is revealed to make up your mind. You’ve tried an OT and didn’t quite gel with it. As far as “vs” is concerned I think some of the only places Dig will win on that is cost and easier to use, which seems to be what you want. As far as features the OT wins hands down, but it’s a very strange relationship to work with one… We still don’t know but I’d imagine the Dig will be much more user friendly, although I’ll bet it’s still got a few Elektron techy quirks…

3 Likes

Good call!

The pocket operators are fun to take on vacation if your sitting in the backseat on a long drive to
Florida. They are totally toys.

1 Like

The AR was the first elektron box I owned. At one point I had the the AR, OT, A4 and AK and I settled on the AK with ableton. The OT ruined the AR for me…I just thought the OT was bad ass in comparison. I sold The AR, A4 and OT. I wish I could afford to keep them all.

Amen brother!

It does seem like the DT is not an OT killer but the new MD with midi tracks…which is pretty sweet.

If the OT had OB. Done deal!

If you spend a considerable amount of time thinking about what the OT can’t do, then walk away from it. You can talk about what it can do, and still not be done at the end of time.

I respect that we all want different things from our tools and I truly believe that creativity is strongly linked to the right tool. So considering what’s right for you or not, is time well spent. But if you can’t see what the OT can do, but mostly bother about what it can’t, then it won’t ever be for you. Just leave it and look elsewhere.

The irony of the OT is that you can’t imagine what it can do, until you’ve gotten to know it. Your reference on what it means that it’s monophonic, that it has only eight tracks, the pattern limit and so on, maps to what you previously knew. But the OT goes to places you simply didn’t know existed before. You got to leave behind a few notions and ideas, to fully appreciate it.

And it’ll reward you accordingly.

9 Likes

Good job guys,
this thread will make me buy OT :heart_eyes:

i need sample mangler, and not just a sampler (i have mg2 and love its sound and hated mpc 2500 and 500), more and more i am realizing it’s going to bi OT, I have A4, and hate the idea of having similar box in design and in sound ( imo they sound kind of similar, maybe i am wrong )
but what else is left for playing with the sonic of samples ? so powerful, i am looking and looking and don’t see any replacement for OT gd :-/

thats why i’m here , waitn for DT , my last chance to escape OT hahah

Well, I think the DT is going to be a bloody terrific instrument, the pinnacle of your funky one shot sampler, with enough memory in there to launch a few loops or sequences to boost. I’d say what the Electribe once started, is probably what the DigiTakt will finish.

And on its own, that can hardly be a bad thing.

:relieved:

There’s this potential that I haven’t even vaguely attempted with the OT of having all tracks going just plocked all over the place with fx and all 8 recorders going and having various remixes using flex with 8 midi sequences coming back in to be sampled, sliced/diced remixed repitched slowdown backworks split into micro seconds retriged 1000 times with 24 Lfos going to various places, resampled and on and on and on creating the most insane algorithm space groove funk one would never even conceive of before hearing the resultz…
And then there’s a bunch more stuff you could do to that…

4 Likes

thank god

In the 2 years or so that I owned an OT I never even made it to parts. I barely made the most of scenes! A load of folks will be sitting at home thinking “well wtf did you do with the OT then” or “what a waste” haha but seriously, I was still having a blast.

In an odd way I’m kind of praying the MPC Live turns out to be shit as I would inevitably justify another purchase of an OT. It sure frustrated the hell out of me though. I said this long ago but the OT is like that girl you know who treats you like shit but you could never resist fooling around with her when she comes calling again and again…!!!

2 Likes